Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

I have a router WGR614v7 server 192.168.1.1:80 and have

I have a router WGR614v7 server 192.168.1.1:80

and have no record of a user name or password. Our cell phones will periodically show we have no wireless connection here in the house and our daughter who is visiting can't use her iPad. How do I get my user name and pass word. When I have tried with my phone, I think it shows my name: SWeber or Suzanne, but none of my usual passwords work. Help. Thanks
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer, Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

Do you have a computer with Windows 7 or Mac OS (which one?) that can currently connect to your internet via wireless? This would help to confirm your wireless network password.

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Vista
Ok, please follow ALL the steps below from your computer already connected to the wireless network and you will see the password:

1- Click here ---> 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

2- Default username is admin and password XXXXX password

3- Once logged in, click Wireless Settings

4- Your network key (passphrase, Key 1, or pre-shared key) will be under "Security Options". If you see more than one password XXXXX with all of them from your wireless devices when prompted for your password.

5- If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the "Accept Answer" green button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It won't accept the username or password
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The site would not accept either the username or password so I didn't get past the first step.

Hello, you didn't need need to leave me negative feedback as I am trying to help. You just need to click "Reply to Expert" to let me know that the procedure didn't work.

If the username is not accepted, then that's probably because the person that installed the router changed the default settings.

Ok, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "netgear" or "wireless" and no password will be asked (we can setup a password after all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 30 seconds.

4- Then unplug it from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 please)

Then please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows Vista:
1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Click "Classic View" on the left

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Connect to a Network" (on the left)

6- You will see a list of wireless networks, please select your network name ("Netgear" or "Wireless") and click "Connect" (If you don't see any network name listed, please let me know)

Then connect form your wireless phones or any other wireless device, to the "Wireless" or "Netgear" network.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After following all the steps which I printed, I totally lost all wireless connection. A friend who heads our local computer club tried to get us back to wireless and failed. I now am having to buy a new router since none of the passwords and user names work. Please don't contact me again.