Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist

My I-phone wont connect to my Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz router.

My I-phone won't connect to my Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz router. My laptop does just fine. Is the router just outdated?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi! Thank You for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question and get your problem resolved! I will need a little more info please,
What its the brand and model of your router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz
Try this on the iphone and let me know, Reset your network settings, tap Settings > General, then scroll down and tap Reset > Reset Network Settings. Then try and connect again, If you still cant connect,

Tap Settings > Wi-Fi.

Available Wi-Fi networks appears under "Choose a Network..."

Locate and tap your home network,

Tap in your Password-
If you are not sure you have the right password, I can help you locate it.

Tap the blue arrow next to your current Wi-Fi network Tap the “DNS” field and enter the following Select manual Then try and connect again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed your directions carefully and it didn't work.
Do you get an error message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just "unable to join network"

The password XXXXX need to enter is the one you use to connect to internet through your router.
Do you have a windows computer currently connected wirelessly to the internet through the router you need password XXXXX?

If yes, which version of windows do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My computer is currently wired, but I can connect wirelessly when I want to. I never have to enter a password XXXXX my laptop, it just automatically connects to the internet.

I went back to my wireless set up to get the password. I assume that's the one?

How can I tell what version of Windows I have? I believe it's a Vista for business.

If you already know how to get to your wireless settings page I will not need the version of windows.
Have you ever connected to any other wi fi on the iphone before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does your home network show up in the list of available networks?
Does it have a lock symbol beside it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes to both.

Step 1:
On your iPhone®, go to the Settings menu. Enable the Wi-Fi feature by tapping the arrow and selecting ON.

Step 2:
Select the wireless network name or SSID on the list.

NOTE: If you are using a dual-band router and both SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are showing, choose the Wireless Network Name (SSID) of the 2.4 GHz network of your router.

IMPORTANT: If your router has the Guest access feature enabled and you want to connect to the main network, ensure that you select the SSID of the main network. The guest network will have the suffix –guest.

Step 3:
Enter the Security Key or Password of your router and tap the Join button.

QUICK TIP: The check mark beside the wireless network name indicates that your iPhone® has successfully connected to the network.

Testing your network connection

On your iPhone®, launch any available web browsers (i.e. Safari, Opera). If you are able to access the Internet or any other websites, then it means that you are properly connected to the wireless network.

NOTE: If you are having problems connecting your iPhone® to your Linksys wireless network, do the following:

• Ensure to type the password XXXXX the correct case since it is case-sensitive.
• If you are connecting to a wireless network with a WEP encryption, enter the “$” sign followed by the network key. If you still cannot connect to the wireless network, change the network encryption to WPA or WPA2 Personal and enter a password XXXXX you can easily remember. For instructions, click here.
• You can also check the Airport icon in the upper-left corner of the screen for the strength of the connection between the router and the iPhone®.
• If you are still unable to connect to your secured wireless network despite entering the correct passphrase or key, you may try to disable the network security settings first then try connecting your iPhone® to the network. Once you have connected to the wireless network, try setting up your router’s wireless security settings again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I finally was able to connect the phone when I turned all security off. Now I will see if I can set the security again. Thanks for your help.
LaughingThats great!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, it looks like the only way my I-phone will connect is if the wireless security is off. I tried changing it from WPA - personal to WEP 128 and it won't connect with that lower security, either. Gives a different error message, though. Instead of "unable to connect to network", it says "incorrect password", even tho the password XXXXX XXXXX And at one point I had my I-phone added to the network as another device, but it's gone now.

Hmm. Is it a bad idea to have an unsecured network?

If you have close neighbors,within 200 feet, you will probably need to have a secured network, the security keeps people from using your internet connection.
I hope everything is still going well, let me know if I can be of any assistance
I will be glad to answer any follow up questions you may have.
It has been a pleasure to work with you. Thank you very much !