Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.

I just received a Netgear-Westell 7550 modem/router from Frontier

Customer Question

I just received a Netgear-Westell 7550 modem/router from Frontier Communications which has an internal wireless function. I used to have a Speedstream 5200 modem which worked fine for years (connected to my Cisco E4200 wireless router), but Frontier told me that their new system won't work with the old modem, so they sent me the new modem. (In fact, my Speedstream stopped working on the day they said they were doing the switchover. They helped me set it up but advised me to use their internal wireless instead of my Cisco.)

My question: Can I turn off the wireless function on the Westell and just plug the Cisco into the Westell for my wireless?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 years ago.

Please, do not forget to click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button if you found my answer helpful.

You can definitely use your Cisco E4200 Wireless router in addition to using your Westell wireless.

- Plug a computer into one of the four LAN plugs on the Cisco router
- Right now only have the computer plugged into the Cisco router.
- With the power to the Cisco router ON, press the reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip or pin for 30 seconds.
- Wait 30 seconds
- Click the following link --->
Leave the username blank
The default password XXXXX: admin
- Click the Wireless link (Your network name is XXXXX XXXXX you can change it and click the Save Settings button)
- Click the Wireless security link (Your wireless password XXXXX XXXXX there)
---- Choose WPA PERSONAL
---- Enter an eight digit passphrase in the WPA Pre Shared field (This will be your wireless password)
---- Click the Save settings button
- Go back to the Main Page of
- Change the Lan IP address to Make note of this new IP address. You will need it if you ever want to make changes to the router.
- Disable the DHCP SERVER option
- Click the Save Settings button
- Plug the Westell modem into one of the four Lan ports on the Cisco. The WAN/Internet port on the Cisco will not be used any more.
- Now you will be good to go. You may need to turn the modem & router off & on.

Please, keep me updated on the status of your problem if there are any further issues. I will be available to respond.

After you click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button now, you can always continue communication with me if you have problems by logging into this site and pulling up this chat history.

Thank you,
- Jason

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think this addresses the issue of turning off the Netgear wireless. I do not want both signals on, just the Cisco. Am I understanding this correctly?

You can leave both on if you want, but you can turn off the Netgear if you wish.

May I please, remote into your computer so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'd rather not, sorry, no offense intended. I will try what you recommended. Thanks for your help.

Thank you.

After you have all of this setup, you can follow the instructions below to turn the Wireless function off on the Westell:

- Click the following link --->
Username: admin
Password: password
- Click the Wireless settings link
- Disable the wireless function
- Click the Save Settings button

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I'll give all of this a try. I'm sure it will work. I appreciate your quick responses to my questions. Bye.

Thank you.

Please, let me know if you have any issues later on.

- Jason