Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

Trying to install an WN2000RPTv2 WiFi Extender. Not having

Trying to install an WN2000RPTv2 WiFi Extender. Not having WPS capability on my router I used Option 2 and got the NETGEAR_EXT the first time with the network manager in Win7. The extender LED arrows turned green and the browser linked perfectly to the setup guide. Following the guide I established the correct SSID to my router as shown and it is still shown as available on the network manager however I have never been able to complete the connection with that manger and it now just says, after trying for five minutes or so, that it's unable to complete the connection. My brower will not accept www.mywifiext.net as an access to the Netgear Genie but just various net contacts about the extender. The Network Manager shows 2 bars for the router and 5 bars for the Extender but I stuck on the former. How can I fix this or how can I start all over?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 4 years ago.

Please reset the extender: make sure the extender has power, then press & hold the reset button on the extender for about 10 seconds, then wait a few minutes, then use the laptop to connect to the wireless network name called NETGEAR_EXT, then open Internet Explorer or your internet browser, and continue the setup.

Also, make sure the security type/mode/options is set to WPA2../WPA... on the router. If you do not know your exact wireless password/security key or how to check/change the security type, please let me know the brand and model of your wireless router.

Thank you.