J Bradford
J Bradford, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  Experienced IT professional
66103638
Networking

I have a kindle fire that wont connect to my wi-fi network.

I have a kindle fire... Show More
I have a kindle fire that won't connect to my wi-fi network. It work great for months and now it won;t connect. can you help me
Category: Networking
AnswerManRob, CCIE
replied 4 years ago.
I believe your firmware may need resetting. Try rebooting your Kindle by pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds. Wait one minute and try turning it on and using it. If the Kindle still malfunctions, please let me know. If it corrects the problem, please remember to accept my answer so JustAnswer will credit me with assisting you.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

it still won't connect

AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
You are certain that you are using the router's password XXXXX not your Amazon account password XXXXX?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
yes
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
I've seen many times where the router will connect to other hardware but not the Kindle and resetting the router restores the connection. Do you know how to reset your router? If so, reset it. If not, let me know the model number of the router and the manufacturer.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I have this computer on the router so I know it's working. both have worked at the same time. I will go down to my office and get the model and #'s and reset it. do you know if need to put any #;s off of it in the kindle.
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
No. If it has a security key number on it, you can attempt that as a password. Sometimes it works.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
The modem is a westell A90-750015-07 it has a wep #
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
There is a tiny reset button on the back. CLICK HERE for your manual.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
it won't open the manual
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
You may have a popup blocker on.

Enter this address into your browser.

http://www.westell.com/docs/support-documents/versalink_7500_user_guide.pdf?Status=Master
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry I thougt you where talking about the kindle. I will go down and reset the router.
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
I will be here.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
It still won't connect. I have cleared all the pass words and and reset them. it still won;t connect. last week my wife went to our community building and got on there wi-fi and she use our password XXXXX the gran kid was using it. now it won't work
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm...makes me wonder if the wifi has suddenly failed. Do you have a friend or family member close by or a free internet location? I would try there. I'm thinking it may not connect.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I don't have one to use this evening I will have to try tomarrow.
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
Just let me know. I will be here tomorrow as well.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
thank you for helping. Hopfully we can figure it out then.
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
Have a good evening.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I finally got a chance to go out to check to see if I could connect to other wi-fi sites and it connected to all of them It still won't connect at home
AnswerManRob, CCIE replied 4 years ago.
I'm suspecting your router at this point. For some reason it won't connect to your Fire, yet your Fire will connect to other routers. Let me move this to networking.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

so what next. should I call verizon and talk it over with them?

J Bradford, LAN/WAN Engineer
replied 4 years ago.

I had this same issue with my Kindle Fire last week with my home router. I worked fine for weeks then all of a sudden would not connect even though my laptop was working fine. To solve my problem, I unplugged the power from my router and cable modem and unplugged the network cable connecting the modem to the router. I let it sit there for about 5 minutes then plugged the network cable back in and then reconnected the power cables and powered both the modem and router back on. Restarted the Kindle and it reconnected just fine.

No idea if this will help you, but just thought I would mention it.

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I will try that but it will take awhile I'll letyou know if it works. Thanks
J Bradford, LAN/WAN Engineer replied 4 years ago.

Take your time. Just let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I tried resetting the modem and it still won't connect. It telling me to check the password and try again. I have put it in serveral times and still nothing.

When you reset the password on the router earlier, did you set it back to the same thing it was originally set to, or did you try a completely different password? My only other suggestion at this point would be to try a new password on your wireless connection. It would require you resetting it on your laptop or PC as well.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I will reset everything. Passwords and all. But that's going to have to wait till morning. Thanks for your help, just can't stay awake been up to long.

You and me both. I'll check in tomorrow morning and see if you've made any progress.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
Thanks
Good morning, just checking to see if you've made any progress on this. I'll be around most of the day if you get some time to work on it. Thanks