Mark, Network Administrator
Experience:  Windows and Linux - Networking, Design, and Administration

I have a swann security system DVR2550-4 that I can see on

Customer Question

I have a swann security system DVR2550-4 that I can see on my android phone but only within my LAN. I have a UBEE U10C022 router supplied by my ISP Time Warner.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

You will need to forward the ports used by your DVR from your router. 9000, 85, and 18004. Forward both TCP and UDP as the manual is not specific on which one is required.

To enable port forwarding on your router, see this website:
You will need to know your public IP address, which is shown at this website:

Once port forwarding is enabled, set your mobile software to look for the DVR at your public IP address. If uPNP is enabled on your router, you might be able to skip the port forwarding all together. Try accessing your DVR through your public IP first, and if that does not work, then configure port forwarding.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ports have been forwarded and tested. I have used my public address and tried both mobil ports 18004 and 9000. I tried port 85 also. nothing seems to work.
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Can you confirm that the IP address that you are forwarding to is still the same as what the DVR has?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dvr network page lists the IP address and I use that address when I look at cameras within my LAN.
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
And when you configured port forwarding, you set all three ports to that address?
Did you forward both TCP and UDP ports?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes all 3 ports forwarded on same ip address and both tcp and udp forwarded
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Can you access your DVR at http://yourPublicIP:9000 ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no and if i change mobil port on dvr to default 18004 and use that address it cant be seen
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Can you access your DVR at http://yourDVRip:9000 ?
If you can, then the problem is with your router and might need to be restarted. If that doesn't work, you might need to perform a factory reset on it and reconfigure it.

If you can not, the problem might be with your DVR. Let me know and I further research that issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I can't access it. I have restarted my router and have done a factory reset in the past few days
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
I apologize, can you access your DVR at http://yourDVRip:85 ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I can see it but only within LAN. took laptop to business with wifi and can't connect there,
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Could you tell me your public IP address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
What kind of router do you own?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
UBEE U10C022 this is provided by my ISP which is Time Warner. It is not upnp. Once I did a hard reset I was able to use factory passwords {user user}
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
The router is the problem, but it's difficult to troubleshoot why without another router or setting it back to bridge mode.

I do know with certainty that it is not forwarding port 85 to your DVR, and until we can do that it won't work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am somewhat of a novice at this stuff. I am a 70 yr old retiree. This router is taking care of cable telephone service also. If I put the router in bridge mode and hooked my own router that has upnp would that solve my problems since the dvr has upnp. would the rest of my cable stuff still work?
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Putting the router back in bridge mode and hooking up your own router with uPNP would be the easiest and probably quickest solution. If by the rest of your cable stuff you mean telephone, then yes it will still work too.

We might be able to fix the problem with the UBEE router, but it's old enough and limited enough it's very difficult to say. I recommend a new router after putting this one back in bridge mode.