Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

My Kindle Fire wont connect to the internet. We have a NETGEAR

Customer Question

My Kindle Fire won't connect to the internet. We have a NETGEAR WNR2000. We took the Kindle back to Best Buy and it comnnected to their wifi. It also connected at a chain merchants fifi no problem. The Kindle says it is connected and the signal strength is excellent. My cable router(ISP that netgear wireless router is hooked to) and the netgear have been rebooted. The kindle shows an IP address it just won't connect all the way.

I cannot find my router login.

Any thoughts?

Tim Glover XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hi! Thank You for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question and get your problem resolved!

Do you have a windows computer currently connected wirelessly to the internet through the router?

If yes, which version of windows do you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My desk top that the router is hooked to is Windows XP. We have a lap top and a netbook that both hookup to the wireless without a problem. they are windows 7 and vista 9fun for sure)
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

Use this to check the security password XXXXX be sure you are entering correctly on Kindle.

Here is how to find your password:

If you have a Windows 7 computer that is already wirelessly connected ,

the password XXXXX XXXXX that computer, just take these steps:

Try this on the wirelessly connected Windows 7 computer:

Click the Windows Start button >

Choose Control Panel>

Then Choose Network and Sharing>

Click Manage Wireless Networks on the TOP LEFT OF YOUR SCREEN >

Click on your wireless network shown there in the list, then Right Click to get drop down menu then select Properties >

Click the Security Tab>

Click the Show Characters Box and this will show your network password.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no Show Characters box in the Security Window.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
When you do this does a lock symbol appear beside your home network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know my system is unsecured, thus i'm guessing I won't see a lock.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
  1. Tap the Quick Settings symbol in the top right hand corner of the Home screen.
  2. Select Wi-Fi from the menu.
  3. Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.
    A list of networks will appear. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. If your network doesn't appear tap the tick box next to Wireless Networking off and on to refresh the list.
  4. Tap the names of the networks in the list . On the screen prompting you to enter a password, select Forget. Do this for all networks listed.
  5. Then tap the name of your home networ and try to connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are 5 connections that show up on my screen. 3 with lockes on them and two without. One of those being my own. I tried connecting to the neighbors unlocked and it asked for a password. I then said forget (the other three with locks won't let me get in enough to ever get a chance to say forget). I chose my network and it says connected with a signal strength of excellent and 63 Mbps and an IP address of 192.168.1.3
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Check your Wi-Fi connection, tap "Apps" from the Kindle Fire Home screen and select "Cloud" from the Apps Library screen. Find and long-press an app you'd like to download and select "Install."
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I chose an app that had not already been loaded. I hit the install button and it says it is loading but it seems to be sitting and spinning.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, try this hold the power button for 20 seconds then try and reconnect to wi fi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did this and made sure it was exactly 20 seconds. Kindle staff had us try that couple days ago.) The kindle says it is connected
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I am sorry this is not working, I will open the question so another expert can take a look at it, Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and welcome

on your computer go to http://192.168.1.1

Enter the username admin password XXXXX

Click Wireless and you should see Wireless Channel

Change this to 11

Save this and then connect your Kindle to the wifi please and it should then work

If you still have difficulties, please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kindle passed this problem on to their people a couple of days ago and were suppose to call us with a solution yesterday. They never called. I suspected my router when the kindle was able to connect at Best Buy and Panera bread without a problem. If I need a new router i'll do so?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
no you wont need a new router,

Can you follow my instructions please? as this should resolve it for you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We tried changing the channel to 11 and it still will not go on the internet. When I bring up the choice for wi-fi it says it is connected but the internet itself still does not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then do a complete reset of the router please

Note that you will lose all settings, so you will need to go to

http://192.168.1.1 with username admin and password XXXXX to set your wireless up again

To do the reset, hold the reset button in on the back of the router for 20 seconds.

Once it is reset, log in and set up your wireless network again and then test please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it the power button I am going to hold or the "restore to factory settings" button?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
reset to factory settings button please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have reset it to factory settings I believe. Where do I go from here?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if you have setup the wireless network, then can you try to connect from the Kindle to the Wifi please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Irying to remeer how to set up the wireless network. My laptops no longer connect to the internet.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, go to your browser while connected by cable to the router

go to http://192.168.1.1

User = admin password=password

Go to Wireless, specify a wireless network name (anything you want)

Choose WPA2 as the security and enter a presharedsecret (wifi password)

once done ok this, then wait 5 minuites and you will see the wifi network listed on the Kindle / Laptop (under the name you gave the wireless network)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before following your last answer I was able to get the laptop back on line (wireless) without a password XXXXX I checked the kindle to see if it would connect. It says it is connected but won't bring up the internet. Should I continue with your last instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes please, and remember to change the wireless channel to 11
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I have used the previous name of the network and added a password XXXXX it or should I have created a whole new name and then a password XXXXX that?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
best to set a new one please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've changed the name of the network, assigned a password, made the channel 11 and selected WPA2-PSK[AES] (the only WPA@ that was available. I waited to to turn on the kindle. when I turned the kindle on and went to the web it recognized my network name, asked for the password XXXXX said connected. I then went to the web and it still says webpage not available.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, test with channel 1 &6, if you still have the problem then you will need to replace the router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried channel 1 and had no luck. I then tried channel 6, which was my original setup. Still no sucess. it just seems odd that the kindle recognizes the network and then won't follow through all the way on the connection though it says it is connected with an excellent signal. I guess it is time to buy a new router. Any suggestions? I appreciate your help and time.
Tim
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
sorry Tim but we have done everything possible with the router, there is a fault with it and it needs to be replaced, sorry.
Richard, Network Specialist
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking