Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

Hi, my internet explorer keeps saying it cannot display the

Customer Question

Hi, my internet explorer keeps saying it cannot display the web page. This is happening only on my laptop not my home PC. I can access the web via realplayer on the laptop but not internet explorer (even though it is showing the laptop is connected to the internet). I have gone through all of Microsofts troubleshooting methods, (the general and advanced) and wonder if the only way to sort the problem is to uninstall internet explorer and to then reinstall it, or is there something else I could try?

Just in case it helps I couldn't use Google chrome to access the internet on the laptop as well and so I uninstalled this to see if it helped... It didn't..

Please help before I hurt my laptop...
Alan
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer, Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

Please remember I do not receive a salary from this company. I am an independent Computer Science Engineer with more than 10 years of experience working with Computer Networks, and now working here. The only way for me to be compensated for my time is when the customer (You) click the Accept button when satisfied. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Please follow the steps below:

Part 1 of 4:
Please follow the steps below from the "problematic" computer:

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- CLick "Network and Sharing Center"

4- Click "Manage Wireless Networks"

5- Remove (delete) ALL the network names you will see there

Part 2 of 4:
1- Click Start, then type ncpa.cpl and press Enter

2- The "Network Connections" window will show up

3- Right click Wireless Network Connection and select Properties

4- Click the Networking tab. Click Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/Ipv4 and then click Properties (or if you don't have IP Version 4, just click TCP/IP and click Properties)

5- Select "Obtain an IP address automatically"

6- Make sure also that "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected

7- Click OK

Part 3 of 4:
Then please follow the steps below also:

1- Open Internet Explorer (even if you use another browser)

2- On Internet Explorer click Tools, then click "Internet Options"

3- Click Connections

4- Click "Lan Settings"

5- Make sure "Automatically detect settings" is SELECTED

6- Make sure "Use automatic configuration script" is UNCHECKED

7- Make sure "Use a proxy server......" is UNCHECKED

8- Click OK

9- Click Apply then Click OK

Part 4 of 4:
1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- Click "Classic View" on the left

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Connect to a Network" (on the left)

6- You will see a list of wireless networks, please select your network name and click "Connect"

7- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

8- If you are satisfied with my job, please click the green Accept button below

Thank you very much!

John C.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

This hasn't sorted out the problem.

I still get told that internet explorer cannot display the web page.

I will happily pay you if the problem can be solved.

Alan

OK. Is the "problematic" computer with Windows Vista connected to the router with an Ethernet cable?

Or are you connected via wireless?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is on a wireless connection.

I have also tried it with the ethernet cable and it still didn't work.

OK, please make sure it is connected to the wireless network. Then please follow the steps below:

1- Click Start, then type "command" without the quotes and press Enter

2- A black terminal window will show up. Please type "ipconfig/all" without the quotes and let me know the "Default Gateway", "IPv4 address", "IPv6 address", DHCP, DNS and "Subnet Mask" info under "Wireless Network Connection"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Default gateway - ::

IPv4 address -

IPv6 address - 2001:0:4137:9e76:cb4:39b5:3f57:fef8<Preferred>

DHCP - enabled

DNS -

Subnet Mask -

There is no IPv4 address, I have got 3 options for the DNS suffix and there is not a subnet mask.

I hope this is helpful.

OK, please follow the steps below:

4- Click the Networking tab.

5- Make sure TCP Version 4 is CHECKED

6- Make sure TCP Version 6 is UNchecked

7- Click OK and/or Apply to save the changes

8- Wait 2 minutes and try to connect. Does it work now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sadly no.

Is it a virus or something??

Hard to say, but we can check it.

Please follow the steps below again:

Then please follow the steps below:

Also, please follow the steps below to check for malware:

PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART. (You can also come back going to www.justanswer.com and then clicking "My Questions" on the upper right)

1- Restart the computer and immediately press F8 repeatedly (before the windows logo appears), until you get the Boot Menu

2- Choose "Safe Mode WITH NETWORKING" and press ENTER

3- Wait for windows to be completely loaded

4- Download and run MalwareBytes clicking here ---> http://wikisend.com/download/623384

5- Then click the "Download File" button to download it

6- MalmareBytes it is a FREE application if used at home. Do NOT click the "Purchase" button

7- Open the application and update it

8- Then run it (FULL SCAN) and delete all the malware it may detect (click "Remove Selected")

9- Restart the computer

If you are satisfied with my job, please click the green Accept button below

Thank you very much!

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Default Gateway - ::

IPv6 address - 2001:0:4137:9e76:cb4:39b5:3f57:fef8<preferred>

DHCP enabled - on

Can't find any reference to these :-DNS and Subnet Mask and IPv4 address

It is scanning at the moment.

Then it seems you didn't unchecked the IP Version 6, or didn't save the changes.

Please check that again. The IP Version 6 should be blank after the changes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still unable to connect, there were no problems found by the scan.

I had unchecked the IP version 6 box already.

So I then run the "command" and IPconfig/all method and that is the same as when I last contacted you.

Do you give me permission to smash the laptop up yet????

;-)

Do you see the IP Version 6 address under "Wireless Network" or under "Local Area Network"?

I will come back in one hour approx. I apologize for the long delay.

Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is under wireless network..
Ok, please follow the steps below:

1- Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then RIGHT CLICK "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator".

2- The terminal black screen will be opened.

3- Type "ipconfig/release" without the quotes and press Enter

4- Type "ipconfig/renew" without the quotes and press Enter

5- Type "NETSH WINSOCK RESET" without the quotes and press Enter

6- Type "netsh int ip reset all" without the quotes and press ENTER

7- Try to connect

If no luck, please follow the steps below from a different computer (a computer that you can actually connect to internet):

2- A black terminal window will show up. Please type "ipconfig/all" without the quotes and let me know the "Default Gateway", "IPv4 address", "IPv6 address", DHCP, DNS and "Subnet Mask" info under "Wireless Network Connection" or "Local Area Network"

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi John,

I spoke with you about 2 weeks back about not being able to access the internet with my laptop. My connection went down for a couple of days and then I have to busy to sort it out.

Are you still able to help.

Cheers Alan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.