Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Im just wondering why I cant access my DVR directly through

Customer Question

I'm just wondering why I can't access my DVR directly through my browser by typing in the local ip address:port when I can access it fine through the DVR client software I'm running on my PC.
Category: Networking
Expert:  BrokenDownAI replied 4 years ago.
Hello. What is the DVR product, i.e., the name and model # / version?

If it allows for you to access it via a web browser, it's possible you may need to use Internet Explorer. Some DVRs which support browser-based access only work with Internet Explorer due to the use of ActiveX programs... which typically only work in Internet Explorer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's an SE-DVR 6604 from New Surway.

Yes I think you're right but I can't even access it using IE.
I'm trying to locate the exact model on their website, but am unable to find "6604"... I see a "6404". Is this a "Standalone" type DVR (i.e., like a small hardware appliance), or is it an add-in card for the computer? If it's an add-in card I'd wonder if the network ports are blocked in the computer firewall. But if it's a standalone DVR, this shouldn't be the case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it's a standalone
OK. I'm unable to pull up the manual for the unit. You say you've tried to access it via it's IP and a network port #. Have you tried these?

http://IPADDRESS:80
http://IPADDRESS:8080
http://IPADDRESS:8000

Maybe even https:// on the above?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of the above work

I've got 8080 pointing at an ip camera and that works fine
OK. Sorry for the multiple tries here. Sometimes these things use goofy network ports, and without access to the manual I'm flying a bit blind here. In the manual is there a section or screenshot which specifically states that it CAN be viewed using a web browser? I know that not all can, but I've not used New Surway DVRs. I would expect that if it does specifically state that you can that one of the two following suggestions would fix the issue:

#1: The network port for browser access is configured on the DVR itself (i.e., via a monitor hooked up to the physical thing itself), and can be found on one of the menus.

#2: IF this model supports browser-based access, maybe this has been disabled. I know you said the application works, but sometimes the DVRs have settings which allow for generic web-based access to be turned off.
Also, you've mentioned you've got port 8080 pointing at an IP camera. Are you trying to point the web browser at the IP address of the DVR itself, or at your router (doing port-forwarding or something)?

If you've using the IP of the DVR, but port 8080 forwards you to an IP camera, I would wonder if there is something more complicated going on.

If you're trying to access the DVR via a web browser, and using the IP of the router (not the DVR), then you will likely need to configure the router to do port forwarding of the web browser port the DVR is using.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree here, let me know!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have port forwarding setup so 8081 is for the DVR

I am typing the IPaddress:8081/ into IE but it ain't connecting me to the DVR

When howvere I type in the IPaddress:8080/ into IE it connects to the ip camera which I have set in my router for port 8080
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any thoughts or are you stumped?
My apologies here for the delay!

OK, I am a bit confused as to whether you're accessing the DVR through the router and whether you're trying to do so on the LOCAL network (local to the DVR) or from the Internet.

#1: You are saying port 8081 is for the DVR. Did you get this 8081 number from the DVR manual and/or DVR config? i.e., are you sure if this is the right number for WEB BROWSER access? Or is this number from the DVR "remote" application? If this is the case, it might not be a port which works for web browsers, only their "remote" app.

#2: IF the answer to #1 is that, yes, 8081 is supposed to be used to access the DVR from a web browser, then here is what you can do to test:
- From a computer running Windows and Internet Explorer which is on the LOCAL network (the same network that the DVR is on, NOT from the Internet), try http://DVRIPADDRESS:8081 ... DVRIPADDRESS -MUST- be the IP address of the DVR, NOT the router (local NOR WAN/Internet). The actual IP address that the DVR is using. I'm assuming the DVR can tell you what IP address it's using (if it was assigned via DHCP, if you hard-coded it, you likely know what it is :) ).
- If the above does not work locally, then it certainly won't work using port forwarding for the router.

I hope I'm somewhat clear here :). Let me know if I'm not and/or the results of the above. Like I said here, the key (if for nothing else then my own confusion) is to be on the local network and NOT trying to access this stuff from the Internet and NOT trying to access it through the router. Once we can verify this, THEN we can move onto that step (if applicable).