Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience:  7YRS+ WORKING ON COMPUTERS, CONFIGURING NETWORKS, CONFIGURING WIRELESS ROUTERS, ETC.
16299369

HP Pavilion dv7 will not connect to wireless networks

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 2 years ago.

Hello, there are 2 things you can try.

----------------------------------------------------- 1 -------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing you need to do is remove all networks from the system.

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Click Network and Internet

4) Click Network and Sharing Center

5) Click Manage Wireless Networks (Top Left-Hand Column)

6) Right-Click and Remove Network for everything listed here

Now after you do that, close everything out and when your back on the desktop, proceed to step 2.

----------------------------------------------------- 2 -------------------------------------------------------------

We need to uninstall the network devices, and have windows reinstall them.

1) Click Start

2) Right-Click Computer

3) Click Properties

4) Click Device Manager (Top Left-Hand Column)

5) Click the > sign for Network Adapters

6) Right-Click and UNinstall everything listed here and if asked to check the box for the drivers, put a check in that box and click ok.

Finally, restart the computer and let Windows reinstall all of your network devices for you. When this had been completed successfully, please reconnect your pc to the wireless router, and when prompted for the passkey, put that in and your all set!

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi , I have done as you suggested but there is no change
Does your laptop even detect the wireless router? If yes, what happened when you try to connect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi , No it doesn`t connect , It sees the connection but when it tries to connect it results in a message saying that that the connection was unsuccessful and offers the windows trouble shooter which provides no solutions either. From the results of a google search I have done it appears this is a known problem with this model HP Laptop ,, I was hoping you might have know of a solution.

What is the exact model of your pc? Look on the bottom for it on a white sticker...

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no white sticker on the bottom ,, only the windows one.
System Properties revels ;
Model ; HP Pavilion dv7 notebook PC
Product ID ; 00359-OEM-8992687-00010

What type of wireless card did you get like Intel, Atheros, Broadcom, etc?

1) Click Start

2) Right-Click Computer

3) Click Properties

What is listed there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Atheros AR9285 802.11B/G/N Wifi Adaptor

I can firstly tell you the Atheros is the WORST wireless card even. If you dont have an intel, its junk! If I were you, I would replace it with a Intel Card which is very cheap off ebay. Get the Intel 6200 which gives up to 300MBPS speeds.

Intel 6200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-572509-001-a-b-g-n-Centrino-Advanced-N-6200-Dual-Band-300Mbps-WLAN-HF-Mini-/120848384013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2320000d

Intel 6200 Drivers

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19862&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

Aside from that, the only other thing you can try is to reset your router and set it back up to make sure all the settings are correct as that could be an issue as well even if it works with other wireless devices.

GOOD LUCK!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that ,, The router works fine with my Sony Vaio ,, that is how I am able to communicate with you. We are in Panama on a sailing boat so ebay is out of the question ,, can we pay for a device and download on the web ? If so please provide a link,, thanks

Not on the web no, you would need another type of hardware to make it work such as a USB Wireless Adapter, etc.

The only thing we havent tried was putting the computer back to Factory Settings but even that does not guarantee it will work. You see, Atheros is not compatible with every network out there. Some routers will work, while others will not, its sad but true.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Anthony , I will try to purchase a USB Wireless adapter here tomorrow and see if that does the trick and if so I will be happy to pay for your advises. Maybe you might like to follow me up on Tuesday ?

Thats fine! Just make sure its a Linksys and if you can get a Dual-Band Adapter that will work best.

:)

Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience: 7YRS+ WORKING ON COMPUTERS, CONFIGURING NETWORKS, CONFIGURING WIRELESS ROUTERS, ETC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,

Problem solved ! I bought a D-Link USB wifi adapter today , removed the atheros and then installed and hey presto all good ! Thanks for the help

Awesome! That is great news and you are so very welcomed. If you need anything else just let me know.

Take Care!