Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I just purchased a Belkin wireless router, my modem from Mediacom

I just purchased a Belkin wireless router, my modem from Mediacom does not have a plug in for the router to connect too. How do I connect it now?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 2 years ago.

What is the exact model of the Belkin router?

What is the brand and model of the modem?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

F7D5301

RCA DCM425

What happens when you connect:

- modem to the router's Internet/WAN port

- computer to one of the router's Ethernet/LAN ports

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a widow and my late husband was the computer expert. I no nothing about this, the only reason I bought this wireless router, was they said this was the easiest to install.

I can' connect the modem to the router because there isn't an extra plug in the modem. and I am sorry I don't understand the second question

There is only one plug; you would remove the cable that is connected from the modem to the computer, and connect it to the router's Internet/WAN ports.

If you look on the back/bottom of the router, you will see 5 ports: one Internet/WAN port and 4 Ethernet/LAN ports.

What happens when you follow install the router's software cd disk, and/or follow the instructions that come with the router?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that and the internet was lost
Did you use the router's software CD disk to install? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I didn't I thought I would have to have the internet available when I did that.
Sometimes you have to install the belkin router's software CD disk, can you insert the router software disk and install and follow the on-screen instructions? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
OK, please let me know after trying. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It said the same thing as the instructions to plug it into the modem. I am sending the router back, because there was nothing on the cd that said how to connect it differently.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think this is the right wireless router for my cable company. The instructions sounded too easy, I should have known it wouldn't work.
Usually, it is easy, but some internet companies make it hard to set up without their own routers; please try the following:

Please connect the modem to the router's Internet/WAN port, the computer (use the only computer that works if connected straight to the modem) to one of the router's Ethernet/LAN ports, and the power adapter to the belkin router device, then reset the router: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes.

Next, on that same computer, go to the router's login page at http://192.168.2.1 and click Login in the upper right-hand corner of the page if available. The router does not ship with a password, so just click Submit when prompted. Then look around for the option to clone the router's MAC Address with the PC's MAC Address, then save, then wait a few minutes and check Internet.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It didn't. I am sending this back and just going to use wireless at the library, this is not worth having it at home
Sorry, that's the steps you need to do if you want to connect any router to your modem. OK, you can use the wired connection. By the way, what device are you want to use with wireless? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son got me a Kindle for christmas
Well, if you want to connect a router (any router, not just a belkin-brand one), you would have to do those steps.

There is another way to download books to the kindle without Wi-Fi or going to the library. You can buy/purchase Kindle ebooks/content from the Amazon.com website on your computer, then download/save them to your computer, then you can transfer them over to the kindle with the USB cable. You can click on the link below for the full video/instructions:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200728710#usb

Thank you.
Experience: Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.