Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech , Network Administrator
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist
62741268

How to reset Cisco Linksys E3000?

Resetting the Linksys router to factory defaults

In the event that you can’t access the router’s web-based setup page or simply forgot the router’s password, you may reset the router to its factory default settings. To do this, press and hold the Reset button located at the back of the router for 10 seconds.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the Power LED of the router is blinking when you press the Reset button. This indicates that the router is being reset properly.

NOTE: The location of the Reset button may vary for every model. Older Linksys devices may require pressing and holding the Resetbutton for 30 seconds to complete the reset process.

View Full Image

After pressing the Reset button, unplug and re-plug the router’s power adapter.

Alternatively, you can also reset the router via its web-based setup page.

Resetting the router using the web-based setup page

Step 1:
Access the router's web-based setup page. To learn how, click here.

NOTE: To learn how to access the web-based setup page on a Mac computer, click here.

Step 2:
Click the Administration tab then click on the Factory Defaults sub-tab.

View Full Image

Step 3:
Under the Factory Defaults section, click on the Restore Factory Defaults button.

View Full Image

After resetting the router to its default settings, reconfigure it according to your Internet service. To learn how to reconfigure the Linksys router for Cable Internet connection, click here. If you have DSL connection, click here.

Changing the router's password

The router's default Password is “admin”, as for the User name, you can leave the field blank. For security purposes, it is recommended to change the default password.

QUICK TIP: Changing the router’s password through the web-based setup page may prevent you from using Cisco Connect. However, if you have installed the latest version of the software, it will automatically prompt to enter the new password that you saved in the web-based setup page. To learn how to change the wireless network name and password using Cisco Connect, click here.

Step 1:

Step 2:
Click the Administration tab.

View Full Image

NOTE: The image may vary depending on the model number of the Linksys device.

Step 3:
Under the Management section, enter the new password in the Password and Re-Enter to Confirm fields.

View Full Image

NOTE: You may use a combination of letters and numbers for your router password. Make sure that you take note of your router password so that you may have a back-up in case you forget it.

Step 4:
Click Save Settings.

NOTE: All the computers that are connected to the network will be using the new password when logging in to the router’s web-based setup page.

Read full interaction below »

Question

CISCO LINKSYS E3000:
How do I reset my WIFI password? I thought I knew it but it didn't work, and it has been a long time.

Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 4 years ago.

In the event that you can’t access the router’s web-based setup page or simply forgot the router’s password, you may reset the router to its factory default settings. To do this, press and hold the Reset button located at the back of the router for 10 seconds.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the Power LED of the router is blinking when you press the Reset button. This indicates that the router is being reset properly.

NOTE: The location of the Reset button may vary for every model. Older Linksys devices may require pressing and holding the Reset button for 30 seconds to complete the reset process.

After pressing the Reset button, unplug and re-plug the router’s power adapter.

Step 1:
Access the router's web-based setup page. To learn how, click here.

NOTE: To learn how to access the web-based setup page on a Mac computer, click here.

Step 2:
Click the Administration tab then click on the Factory Defaults sub-tab.

Step 3:
Under the Factory Defaults section, click on the Restore Factory Defaults button.

After resetting the router to its default settings, reconfigure it according to your Internet service. To learn how to reconfigure the Linksys router for Cable Internet connection, click here. If you have DSL connection, click here.

Changing the router's password

The router's default Password ***** “admin”, as for the User name, you can leave the field blank. For security purposes, it is recommended to change the default password.

QUICK TIP: Changing the router’s password ***** the web-based setup page may prevent you from using Cisco Connect. However, if you have installed the latest version of the software, it will automatically prompt to enter the new password ***** you saved in the web-based setup page. To learn how to change the wireless network name and password ***** Cisco Connect, click here.

Step 1:

Step 2:
Click the Administration tab.

NOTE: The image may vary depending on the model number of the Linksys device.

Step 3:
Under the Management section, enter the new password ***** the Password and Re-Enter to Confirm fields.

NOTE: You may use a combination of letters and numbers for your router password. Make sure that you take note of your router password ***** that you may have a back-up in case you forget it.

Step 4:
Click Save Settings.

NOTE: All the computers that are connected to the network will be using the new password ***** logging in to the router’s web-based setup page.

Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Experience: Information Technology Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!

You're welcome!