Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP
18224842

I need to know how to reset my G54 wireless Router WGR614v10.

Customer Question

I need to know how to reset my G54 wireless Router WGR614v10. This router was hooked up at my mother's house using a different internet provider. I no longer have the key for set up the network on my computers. The units serial number is *28T20C7901A11*. Ther security PIN is 11243298. The MAC is E091F5D7EBOA.

Gary
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Hi Gary and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you.

Here are the instructions for reseting and then reconfiguring the WGR614v10. I also included in the steps how to hook it up to your cable modem because I wasn't sure if you had already done that or not. Please let me know if you get stuck. Good luck and thank you!

1. Press and hold the RESET button on the back of the Netgear down for 30 seconds, then release. You will probably need a paper clip to do this as the button is recessed (if the unit has an antenna, it will be next to that).
  2. After the router boots back up, plug your computer into one of the LAN ports on the back. Your computer may already be connected in this fashion. If this is so, please skip this step.
  3. Make sure to connect the cable modem to the Internet port (colored yellow on most models) on the Netgear.
  4. Check to make sure you still have Internet access. If you do have Internet, please skip to step 10. If you do not have internet access, complete steps 5-9.
  5. Unplug the power to both the modem and the router. Let both devices sit for 10 minutes. This allows the cable modem to reset.
  6. Plug the modem back in first, waiting 60 seconds for it to sync.
  7. Plug the router back in, waiting 30 seconds for it to sync.
  8. Reboot your computer.
  9. At this point, with your computer plugged into the router and the router plugged into the Internet modem, you should be able to get on the Internet. If you can't please connect your computer directly to your Internet modem and come back to JustAnswer.com to let me know.
  10. Open your Internet browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  11. You should be prompted for a username and password. Type admin for the username and password for the password.
  12. You may be prompted to complete the Smart Wizard at this point. If you are then please complete it before continuing to step 12.
  13. Upon login, click on the Wireless Settings link on the left.
  14. Type a name for your network in the SSID box.
  15. Choose WPA-PSK for your security option.
  16. Type a password that you want to use to connect to your wireless network in the Passphrase box.
  17. Click Apply.

At this point you should have a new wireless network ready to go, with a password that you now know.