Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

my router cant detect internet.... everything is plugged in

my router cant detect internet.... everything is plugged in properly......what can i do
Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.

Claws224 :

Can you tell us the make and model of your router and can you tell us if it is new or has it worked in the past?

Can you also tell us who your internet provider is and the make of your internet modem?

Thanks

Customer:

linksys wrt54g ........comcast is my internet provider

Claws224 :

Ok,

Can you look at your internet modem and tell me the make?

Claws224 :

Can you also tell me if this is a new rotuer or has it worked with yoru cable internet in the past?

Customer:

i have an arris modem......my router is about 3 years old.......i know the router works because i have a device that is connected to it and that device works......i just cannot get internet to other devices such as laptops or my iphone

Claws224 :

Ok,

so you cannot join the wireless, correct?

Claws224 :

does your iphone see your wireless and just refuse to connect?

Claws224 :

or does it not even see the wireless?

Customer:

yes. thats exactly what it does.....it prompts me to enter my password XXXXX says "unable to join the network"

Claws224 :

Ok,

On a machine that can get online through the router can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page or just click the link in blue.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then enter a unique Network Name (SSID) then save your changes. (if you do not have the option to change the SSID (network name) can you click Manual and you should then have the option to change it.

Once that is saved can you then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and then choose WPA2 personal as the security type then enter your choice of password (if in doubt just use your 10 digit phone number with area code) then save your changes.

Once all that is done can you then wait about 2 minutes and see if you can connect your wireless machines and devices using the password XXXXX just set and see if you can get online.

Claws224 :

If you have any issues let me know

Customer:

i was not given option for new password

Claws224 :

Ok,

were you able to get to the wireless tab and change the (SSID) network name?

Customer:

yes....i also changed to wpa2 personal.....but had no password XXXXX only wpa shared key

Claws224 :

Ok,

the shared key is the password, so if you could change that to something easy to remember then save your changes

Customer:

ok sorry

Claws224 :

No worries,

depending on the security type the password XXXXX be called a lot of things

Claws224 :

it can be a shared key, preshared key, password, passphrase and a lot of other things

Customer:

ok.....im gonna wait a few min. and try joining again with my iphone

Claws224 :

Once you change the shared key to something easy to remember can you then clcik apply and wait approz 1 minute and then see if you can connect the iphone

Customer:

ok i just signed on

Claws224 :

Ok,

can you open safari on your iPhone and see if you can get online

Claws224 :

or open youtube and see if you can stream video

Customer:

all work

Claws224 :

Great,

Can you check and see if your other wireless machines will connect?

Customer:

thank you i believe you fixed my prob

Claws224 :

great,

Just make sure to write down your password XXXXX future use

Customer:

ok..........now all i do is click accept for u to get paid right? and when i click connect i want just this one time charge....i do not want the monthly subscription

Claws224 :

Yes,

when you click accept you are accepting the answer and the amount you posted the question for is all that you will be charged

Customer:

thanks again for your help

Claws224 :

You are very welcome

Customer:

can i ask one more question

Claws224 :

sure

Customer:

my wife just came in my office and said that she was trying to watch on demand on another television in the house........would that be affected by what we just did

Claws224 :

is it the cable on demand system or is it something like hulu or netflix?

Customer:

cable on demand

Claws224 :

Ok,

In that case no,

The cable on demand system uses the Coax cable to transfer the data to the cable box, whereas Hulu, neflix or other streaming services can use your wireless

Claws224 :

So as it is the cable connection you modifying the wireless wont interrupt the on demand system

Customer:

ok than its probably another issue.....ill call my cable company..........thanks again for all your help.....youve been great.......have a good night buddy

Claws224 :

You too

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft