Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I just got router WRT54GL and while running the setup I continue

I just got router WRT54GL and while running the setup I continue getting an error message that says, "Unable to connect to the Router!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Claws224 :

can you tell us what type of internet service and modem you are using with the router?

Can you also confirm you have your computer connected to the port 1 port of the router when you are trying to set it up?

Thanks

Customer:

I have TWC and use a cable modem. The computer is connected to port 1.

Claws224 :

Ok,

With the computer connected to the router can you get online or do you have to connect to the modem to get online?

Customer:

Yes I'm connected online right now.

Claws224 :

Ok,

In that case lets try to manually setup the router.

Claws224 :

Can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page or just click the link in blue

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then click the manual option and then enter a unique Network Name (SSID) then save your changes.

Once that is saved can you then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and then choose the type of security you wish to use such as WPA2 personal then enter your choice of password (if in doubt just use your 10 digit phone number with area code) then save your changes.

Once all that is done can you then wait about 2 minutes and see if you can connect your wireless machines using the password XXXXX just set and see if you can get online.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any issues

Thanks

Customer:

Actually, I think its working. I can see it on my laptop now and connect to it.

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

do you want to make sure it is working by restarting your laptop and making sure it can get online

Claws224 :

that way if you have any issues we can take a look

Customer:

ok

Customer:

restarting now

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

just wait for it to come all the way up and see if you can get online without having to do anything

Customer:

What's the WPA shared key?

Claws224 :

Ok,

That is the wireless password.

To get the WPA key you will need to open an Internet Browser Window and type http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page or click the link in blue

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password XXXXX if you cannot get in can you try admin for the username and admin for the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and your password XXXXX be listed so you can write it down and tape it to the bottom of the router in case you need it in the future.

Customer:

You said, the password XXXXX be listed. Can I create the password XXXXX or do you mean that it should be autofilled there?

Claws224 :

It will already be autofilled, however if you click the manual option you can then click the wireless security link and set it to whatever you want

Claws224 :

Usually I reccomend something simple like your phone number

Claws224 :

that way it is easy to remember

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I think that worked

Claws224 :

Ok,

in that case join your laptop to the wireless and make sure it gets online then restart the machien and make sure it connects automatically

Customer:

It did.

Claws224 :

In that case you should be good to go

Claws224 :

great

Customer:

Thanks