Randy
Randy, Network Support Specialist
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist
62741268

I have Cisco Linksys E2000. I forgot my Security Key code

I have Cisco Linksys E2000. I forgot my Security Key code and can not connect to the Internet wirwless network. How can I find the Security Code?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
I will assist you,
Here is how to find your password: If you have a Windows 7 computer that is already wirelessly connected , the password XXXXX XXXXX that computer, just take these steps:
Try this on the wirelessly connected Windows 7 computer:
Click the Windows Start button >
Choose Control Panel>
Then Choose Network and Sharing>
Click Manage Wireless Networks on the TOP LEFT OF YOUR SCREEN >
Click on your wireless network shown there in the list, then Right Click to get drop down menu then select Properties >
Click the Security Tab>
Click the Show Characters Box and this will show your network password.
.
.
.
Here is alternate method..

Step 1 – Ensure the LinkSys router is powered on and then connect your COMPUTER to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Step 2 – Load the router’s web-based setup page in your computer’s web browser. To do this, launch your web browser( internet explorer, Mozilla, etc…) and then CLICK HERE

Step 3 – Log-in to the router using the unique username and password XXXXX you have previously created for the router. If the default settings remain in use, then the username will be blank and the password XXXXX be “admin” for newer LinkSys routers.

Step 4 – Select the “Wireless” menu tab on the main setup page and set the “Configuration View” to “Manual.”

Step 5 – Note the SSID or “Network Name” that is in use.

Step 6 – Select “Wireless Security” and record the “Security Mode” and “Passphrase” being used. In older versions of LinkSys routers the passphrase can be shown as a “Pre-Shared Key” or “WPA Shared Key.” The “TX Key” entry on newer routers will indicate which of the 4 keys the active wireless password XXXXX your network is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already tried it and it did not work. That's why I need help. "vtns-q61b-ytsa" was the provided Security Code. When I tried to change it to a simpler one, everything disappeared and I lost nettwork connection. The network security key I got by your method did not work. I need further help.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
YOU WILL HAVE TO RESET ROUTER..
Press reset button on back of router for 30 seconds then follow set up info..

This article will guide you on how to properly set up your Linksys router for DSL Internet connection.

Before setting up your Linksys router, make sure that your computer has active Internet connection. You can do this by connecting your computer to the modem using an Ethernet cable and try browsing any website. If you cannot access the Internet, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP). You can also contact them if you are uncertain about the type of Internet connection you have.

NOTE: If your Internet service does not involve a modem, you can contact your ISP to verify your connection type and determine what kind of cable is to be used.

NOTE: Image may vary depending on the type of modem and computer you are using.

Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet Connection

There are two ways to do this:

i. Setting up your Linksys router using Cisco Connect (Setup CD)
ii. Setting up your Linksys router using the web-based setup page

Setting up your Linksys router using Cisco Connect (Setup CD)

All Linksys devices come with a Setup Wizard for easy installation. All you need to do is follow the steps provided. The Setup Wizard/Cisco Connect software will automatically detect the type of Internet connection from your ISP. If you lost the Setup CD that came with the router, you may download from the Cisco HomeSupportwebsite.

NOTE: The software assumes that your computer is connected directly to the modem as shown in the image above.

Also, the modem might have the same IP address as the Linksys’ default gateway address. It is recommended to change the IP address of either the modem or the Linksys router to avoid an IP address conflict. To learn how to change the IP address of the router, click here.

Setting up your Linksys router using the web-based setup page

The steps provided below will guide you on how to set up your router manually. It is recommended to do the following steps if the Setup Wizard/ Cisco Connect software did not succeed in setting up the router automatically.

NOTE: Before doing the following steps, make sure you know the configuration type of the modem. To know the current configuration type of your modem, contact your ISP.

Step 1:
Connect the computer to one of the Ethernet ports on the router using an Ethernet cable.

NOTE: Image may vary depending on the type of computer or router you are using.

Step 2:
Plug-in the router’s power adapter to a power source and connect the other end to the power port of the router.

NOTE: If your router has a power switch, turn it ON. Observe the power light of your router until it becomes stable.

Step 3:
Access the router’s web-based setup page. For instructions, click here. For Mac users, click here.

NOTE: The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1 while the default password XXXXX “admin” and the user name field is left blank. If you have set a password XXXXX but forgot it, you need to reset the device. For instructions on how to reset a Linksys router, click here.

Step 4:
Set your preferred Internet connection type:

i. For PPPoE Connection Setting
ii. For Automatic Configuration – DHCP Setting

For PPPoE Connection Setting

This type of router configuration is ideal for connecting to a modem which is set to Bridged Mode. A Bridged modem means you need to have a PPPoE dialer set up on a computer or router to activate Internet connectivity.

Step 1:
On the Setup tab, click the drop-down arrow for Internet Connection Type then, select PPPoE.

Step 2:
Enter the PPPoE Username and the Password provided by your ISP. Select Keep Alive and click on the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page.

NOTE: The PPPoE password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive and would not let you save your settings when you have entered the wrong one. Make sure that you enter the password XXXXX the correct letter cases. For information regarding your PPPoE Username and Password, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Step 3:
Click the Status tab.

Step 4:
On the Status tab, click on the Connect button if the Login Status is Disconnected.

NOTE: If you don’t have Internet IP address and DNS servers under the Status tab you might need to powercycle the router. Powercycling is done by unplugging the power adapter of the router for 30 seconds and plugging it back in.

For Automatic Configuration – DHCP Setting

This type of router configuration is ideal for connecting to a modem in Automatic Configuration- DHCP Mode. This means that the modem may have its router capability activated as well. This might create a conflict with the router’s routing operation if the IP address of the modem and router are the same. To solve this issue, you can change the router’s IP address range to eliminate the conflict.

NOTE: Make sure the modem is not connected to the router while doing the following steps. Otherwise, you might end up accessing the modem’s web-based setup page.

Step 1:
On the Setup tab, select Automatic Configuration – DHCP for Internet Connection Type. Then change the value of the 3rd box on the IP Address field.

NOTE: In this example, the IP address used was 192.168.2.1.

Step 2:
Click Save Settings.

Now that you have configured the settings of the router, you can connect the modem to the Internet port of the router using an Ethernet cable.

You should now have successfully set up your Linksys Router for DSL Internet connection. To learn how to connect other computers and devices to your router, click here.

Randy, Network Support Specialist
Experience: Information Technology Specialist