Randy
Randy, Network Support Specialist
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist
62741268

how to connect kindle to wifi if forgot password

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

I will assist you,

Do you have a windows computer currently connected wirelessly to the internet through the router you need password XXXXX?

If yes, which version of windows do you have?

What type router do you have? (Make and model#)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes windows 7 2wire043
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Here is how to find your password:

If you have a Windows 7 computer that is already wirelessly connected ,

the password XXXXX XXXXX that computer, just take these steps:

Try this on the wirelessly connected Windows 7 computer:

Click the Windows Start button >

Choose Control Panel>

Then Choose Network and Sharing>

Click Manage Wireless Networks on the TOP LEFT OF YOUR SCREEN >

Click on your wireless network shown there in the list, then Right Click to get drop down menu then select Properties >

Click the Security Tab>

Click the Show Characters Box and this will show your network password.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it did not work still states cannot connect
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

Getting Started with Wi-Fi

To wirelessly stream and download digital content on Kindle Fire, you'll first need to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Once connected, your books, magazines and newspapers are delivered wirelessly, typically in less than 60 seconds. Download times for videos, MP3s, and apps may vary, depending on file size and connection speed.

You must be connected to Wi-Fi to stream music, videos, or other content stored on the Amazon Cloud. You will also need to be connected to browse websites using Amazon Silk web browser and use certain apps. Once you've downloaded books, magazines, videos, MP3s or apps to your device, a wireless connection is not required to access these items.

Connecting Your Kindle Fire

Watch this video to learn how to wirelessly connect your Kindle Fire using Wi-Fi.

View larger version.

Connecting with Wi-Fi

To connect to Wi-Fi follow these simple steps:

1. Tap the Quick Settings icon in the top right hand corner of the Home screen.
  2. Select Wi-Fi.
  3. Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.

A list of networks will appear. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. If your network doesn't appear tap the box next to Wireless Networking off and on to refresh the list.

1. Tap the name of the network you wish to connect to from the list of available networks.

Tip:
    When viewing Kindle Fire in landscape view, you may need to scroll through the list of available networks, using your finger to swipe through the list.

2. If a lock symbol appears next to your network, it requires a password. Enter the characters of the password XXXXX the onscreen keyboard.
  3. Tap Connect.

Tip: Tap the 123!? key to enter numbers or symbols. Tap the ABC key to return to the regular keyboard. Tap the Shift key (up arrow) for uppercase letters.

Once you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, Kindle Fire automatically connects to it again whenever that network is in range. If more than one previously used network is in range, your Kindle Fire automatically connects to the network that was most recently used.

Manually Adding a New Wi-Fi Network

If you don't see the network you want to connect to in the list of detected networks, you can add it by selecting Add a Network at the bottom of the list of detected networks.

1. Make sure you are within range of the network you want to add, and that you know the network name and password (if required).
  2. Tap the Quick Settings symbol in the top right hand corner of the Home screen.
  3. Select Wi-Fi from the menu.
  4. Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.
  5. Scroll down to the end of the list of available detected networks and select Add a Network.
  6. Use the onscreen keyboard to enter the name of the Wi-Fi network that you want to add (Network SSID).
  7. Once the network name has been entered, tap the Security box and select the type of encryption the network you wish to connect to uses.
  8. If you select an encryption other than Open, tap the Password XXXXX
  9. Enter Wi-Fi password XXXXX network key using the onscreen keyboard.

10. Tap Save to store the details, then select Connect to connect to the network.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i do not have the kindle fire it is not working still I am very frustrated with thisbecause it had been working until I charged the battery yesterday.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

To connect your Kindle via Wi-Fi:

1. Press the Home button , then press the Menu button.
  2. Use the 5-way controller to navigate to "Settings" and press down to select.
  3. Select "view" next to "Wi-Fi Settings" to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. Kindle automatically scans for available Wi-Fi networks at periodic intervals. To rescan for available networks, select "rescan" using the 5-way controller at any time.
  4. Select "connect" to connect to a network. If you see a lock symbol next to "connect," the network requires a password XXXXX connect.
  5. If your Wi-Fi network and router supports WPS technology Kindle will detect it. Navigate to “Connect via WPS” using the 5-way controller and press to select. Then press the WPS association button on your router.
  6. If your network does not support WPS, enter the Wi-Fi network password XXXXX selecting the Keyboard button and using the 5-way controller to navigate to the characters in your password. Then use the 5-way controller to select "submit."

Tip: Press the Previous Page and Next Page buttons to navigate to characters not present on the default view of the onscreen keyboard.

Once you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, Kindle automatically connects to it again whenever that network is in range. If more than one previously used network is in range, your Kindle automatically connects to the network that was most recently used.

Manually Adding a New Wi-Fi Network

If you don't see the network you want to connect to in the list of detected networks, you can add it by choosing "Enter other Wi-Fi network" at the bottom of the list of detected networks.

2. Press the Home button, then the Menu button.
  3. Select "Settings."
  4. Select "view" next to "Wi-Fi Settings"; to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks.
  5. Use the 5-way controller to navigate down to "Enter other Wi-Fi network" and press to select.
  6. Press the keyboard key Keyboard button, and enter the name of the Wi-Fi network that you want to add using the 5-way controller. Press the Previous Page and Next Page buttons to navigate to characters not present on the default view of the onscreen keyboard.
  7. Use the 5-way controller to enter the Wi-Fi password XXXXX Network Key (if required) and select "submit."
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All of this could have been avoided if you had told me that the password was on the side of the router.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
THAT IS WHY I GAVE YOU PROCESS TO VIEW PASSWORD ON WINDOWS 7, SOMETIMES IT IS DIFFERENT IF YOU CHANGE TO PETS NAME OR SOMETHING EASY TO REMEMBER,SORRY, I AM GLAD YOU HAVE RESOLVED ISSUE. THANK YOU!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i feel that i found the answer my self and all that you replied was of no help to me.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Your satisfaction is my GREATEST CONCERN, and I'm happy that your problem was resolved!