jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, PC Technician
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

How do I use the arp command in a Windows 7 32-bit environ

Customer Question

How do I use the arp command in a Windows 7 32-bit environment
Category: Networking
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 5 years ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is John and I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I do believe I can help you with your problem today.

jstinehelfer :

In Windows 7 you would use the Command Prompt to use the arp command. If you need to understand how the arp command works then open command prompts then type

jstinehelfer :

arp /?

jstinehelfer :

click enter and this will give you all the command line switches that goes with the arp command

jstinehelfer :

If you need to know where your command prompt is then click start then in the search bar type command prompt

jstinehelfer :

or you can shorten it down to CMD and it will come up as well.

jstinehelfer :

If this fixes your problem then that is great. If it does not fix your problem then please ask for more help

Thank you for using Just Answer.com please click on ACCEPT and SAVE so I can get credit for helping you if I have answered your question correctly and to the best of my ability. If I have not been able to answer the question please let me know and ask for more help. Please take the time to fill out the feedback on how I am doing. This helps me help you better in the future. Have a great day.

Customer :

Hi John,

Customer :

Hi John, Thank you for your feedback. I still have some problems and will first give you some background. I am in Cape Town in South Africa and am in the copier industry. I have a dealer about 1,500 km from here who has a problem as they did something on the machine which they should not have done. One possibility is to uuse the arp command to assign a new IP addy to this multi functional device in the hope of sorting out the problem. I have done some testing here in CT and used the following command line in an attempt to add an IP address to the device network card. arp -s 172.16.1.43 00-20-6b-5d-f2-53. Left a space between the IP addy and the MAC addy. Under Windows 7 I get "The arp entry addition failed: Access denied". This happens with DHCP on or off. In a Windows XP environment I can use the above command without any problem and the addy gets added to the device.

Customer :

Please advise. Kind regards. Claus

jstinehelfer :

This looks like it is a Vista and Windows 7 problem. I researched the Microsoft support website with no results. I did do a google search and found that others are having the same problem. I believe this is a problem with 64bit operating systems.

jstinehelfer :

This link explains you need to use a different command to achieve the same goal.

jstinehelfer :

This link is basically backing up the first link I gave you with others having the same problem

jstinehelfer :

So it looks as if there is not a solution to fix the arp command but a work around using the netsh command

jstinehelfer :

so you can still achieve the same goal.

jstinehelfer :

But then I just seen in your question you are using 32 bit so this must be a windows 7 problem as a whole.

jstinehelfer :

I do know it has caused people on Vista to have the same problem. Which I believe Windows 7 was a spin off of Vista.

jstinehelfer :

Let me know if this helps

Customer :

Hi there,

Customer :

Slowly getting there. May have another question or two in a couple of hours.

jstinehelfer :

Let me know how this works out for you.