Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

My network use to be secured, somehow it was changed and now

My network use to be secured, somehow it was changed and now it is not. I cannot remember my user name and password. How do I secure my network to protect my files?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.

Claws224 :

Can you tell us the make and model of your wireless router?

Customer: Linksys by Cisco serial number is XXXXX
Customer: N home router
Claws224 :

Ok,

Can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page or just click the link in blue.

When prompted type your admin username and password XXXXX you just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password XXXXX see if it will let you in.

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then enter a unique Network Name then save your changes.

Once that is saved can you then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and then choose the type of security you wish to use such as WPA2 personal then enter your choice of password (if in doubt just use your 10 digit phone number with area code) then save your changes.

Once all that is done can you then wait about 2 minutes and see if you can connect your wireless machines using the password XXXXX just set and see if you can get online.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any issues

Thanks

Customer: I hab
Customer: I have been doing that all day, but will try again
Customer: It's not working
Customer: Is there another way to secure the network
Claws224 :

Sure,

Claws224 :

Can you tell me what type of internet modem you have connected to the router?

Customer: Directv
Customer: I think
Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Can you locate the reset button on the back of your router and with it plugged in can you press and hold the reset button down for 30 seconds then let go and wait 2 minutes for the router to reset then unplug the power from the router and the modem then shut down your pc.

Once it is all off can you connect your pc to the port 1 port of the router then wait a full 30 seconds and power up the modem then wait 30 seconds and power up the router then wait yet another 30 seconds and power up your PC.

Once your machine comes up can you see if you can get online and let me know so we can setup your wireless connections.

Customer: Will we get disconnected if I do that?
Claws224 :

Just click the link you will have been emailed and it will bring you straight back here so we can continue

Customer: Ok
Claws224 :

or just go to justanswer.com and login to your account and click on your questions to come straight back here

Claws224 :

were you able to reset successfully and can you now try going to http://192.168.1.1 and logging in by leaving the username box empty and typing admin ( all lower case) for the password?

Customer: Trying it now
Claws224 :

Ok

Customer: Still not working
Claws224 :

Ok,

can you tell me the exact model of the router which should be something like E2000 or WRT54G

Customer: The user name icon has an image of a person, do that mean there is a known password?
Customer: RCA broadband
Claws224 :

maybe, however as you have reset it the default should be to leave the username blank and enter admin for the password, or if it is a newer model it is admin ( all lower case) for the usesrname and the password

Customer: I tried both ways
Customer: Do u all have techs that come out?
Claws224 :

Sorry, we only work in this format, if you need a local tech we would usually recommend you find a certified independant computer tech in your area.

Claws224 :

personally I do not recommend geeksquad or a a larger stores tech as they are too expensive

Customer: Ok, what should I do
Claws224 :

Well you can try resetting the router one more time and make sure to hold the reset button down for a full 30 seconds so that it factory resets and will then accept the empty username and admin or admin and admin

Claws224 :

If that does not work then you may have to get a local tech if you can find one that is affordable or in some cases it may be cheaper to go to walmart or your local office store and pick up a new router for $30-$40 and use the disk that comes with it to setup the new router

Claws224 :

I know both of these are not great options, however there is only so much we can do in this format

Customer: Maybe this will give a little more info. I have a user name to connect to the Internet, but it's not secured. How do I adds a password XXXXX it?
Claws224 :

Ok,

the problem is that to secure your wireless connection we need to get logged into your wireless router.

Can you try something for me?

Customer: Yes sir
Claws224 :

Can you click Start and then can you type CMD in the run box then hit enter to open a DOS window, Or if you use Vista or 7 can you click start then type cmd into the search box at the bottom of the start menu then hit enter to open the DOS window.

When the window opens can you type ipconfig then hit enter and make a note of the Default Gateway address which should be something like 192.168.1.1 and let me know what it is

Customer: It is the same as the one I have been typing in. 192.168.1.1
Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Is your computer wired to your router or is it connected wirelessly?

Customer: It's connected wirelessly
Claws224 :

Can you click start then connect to and let em know what wireless networks are listed and which one you are connected to?

Customer: Sure
Claws224 :

can you also tell me if you have a network cable (ethernet cable) you can use to connect your machine hardwired to the router so we can try something

Customer: I an connected to DRBASS-PC_Network The other networks are 2wire172. Fonwifi2. Latoya. Unnamed networkhome-19B8. Daniels_family. and home1
Claws224 :

Ok,

Is DrBASS-PC your wireless network name that you setup?

Customer: Yes I do
Claws224 :

Also do you have a network cable you can use

Customer: Yes, and Yes
Claws224 :

Ok,

I want to try something so can you connect your computer to the Port 1 port on your Linksys router and then wait a couple of minutes and make sure you can get online

Claws224 :

Once you do that can you then try going to http://192.168.1.1 and logging into the router by leaving the username empty and typing admin ( all lower) for the password XXXXX let me know what happens

Customer: Ok, but I am chatting with u on my iPad, will that interfer
Claws224 :

I know this sounds like what we have tried however I have a suspicion you are connected to the wrong router wirelessly and by hardwiring we will be able to connect to the right one

Claws224 :

As to talking on your iPad, that is fine as we can continue to talk as you try this on your PC

Customer: Under connect to network my security type says no authentication and encryption type is none
Claws224 :

That is fine, can you connect with the wire and try the steps I posted and let me know what happens

Customer: I am connected to the linksys router
Claws224 :

ok

Claws224 :

And if you go to http://192.168.1.1 can you now login?

Customer: No
Claws224 :

Ok,

What make and model if your PC

Claws224 :

the one connected wired to the router?

Customer: Compaq model # XXXXX
Claws224 :

Could you follow the directions in this Microsoft article on the hardwired machine to select and diable the wireless network adapter on that machine so that we can make sure it is using the hardwired connection http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Enable-or-disable-a-network-adapter

Once tht is done can you run the ipconfig command again on the hardwired machine and verify the default gateway address and let me know

Customer: Ok
Claws224 :

Just let me know what the Default gateway is when you get it

Claws224 :

Were you able to get the default gateway address?

Customer: I am not connected to the Internet anymore
Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

your iPad is though, Correct?

Customer: Yes
Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

let me know the default gateway address you get on the wireled pc when you run the ipconfig command from the command prompt

Customer: None
Claws224 :

Ok,

can you confirm that your computer is hardwired to the Port1 port on your Linksys router?

Customer: Yes
Claws224 :

Ok, and the linksys router is hardwired from the Internet (WAN) port to your modem, Correct?

Customer: Yes
Claws224 :

hmmm,

Claws224 :

can you tell me what lights are lit on the linksys?

Customer: 1 4 Internet light the light net to the Internet and the power light
Claws224 :

Ok,

Customer: Should I just purchase another router and start over?
Claws224 :

Just to recap,

We have tried resetting the router twice and you can not connect to it, So we tried to hardwire to the router and see if we could then connect to the management interface, however you then have no gateway (router address) which you should have.

Claws224 :

Honestly what I believe is that your wireless router has collapsed and is not working correctly which is why you are able to connect wirelessly as you are probably connecting to another wireless netwoek around you that is unsecured and not your Linksys wireless

Claws224 :

If that is the case your best bet would be to get a new wireless router and set it up using the disk that comes with it

Claws224 :

all that we have tried would indicate a failure of the router

Claws224 :

Just dont forget to go back and use the instructions I posted to reenable your wireless card on the PC

Customer: Ok, thanks for your time. I am grateful for your help and dedication.
Claws224 :

No worries, That is what we are here for

Customer: And yes I am going to pay you
Claws224 :

If you get a new router and need help setting it up please just let me know

Claws224 :

Also when you get the new router dont go crazy and spend a fortune

Customer: I am a teacher, I spend wisely. I will be gett
Claws224 :

honestly the $40- $50.00 router is as good as the $150.00 unit unless you need all the bells and whistles

Claws224 :

good

Customer: I will be getting in contact with you. Would I have to pay again?
Claws224 :

No just come back to this page using the link you were emailed and we can continue without you getting charged again

Claws224 :

If I am not online the system will email me and let me know you have posted

Customer: Ok thanks. Have a great day sir
Claws224 :

You too

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft