TechGrant, System Administrator
Experience:  I am a network engineer for a small firm and work with multiple small business firms for all there server/administration needs.

My laptop is not showing my Linksys wifi as available. My Ipad

My laptop is not showing my Linksys wifi as available. My Ipad is showing the network as available but then doesn't recognize the password.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer.

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Hello I know you said you have checked the password XXXXX I do want to you to follow these steps please, we are going to change the broadcast (ssid) to something else than the default which can conflict with neighbors. Now when we do this all wireless devices connected will need to reconnect to the new broadcast name(SSID).

1. First thing is we want to log into the router, you can do that by typing in the address bar in internet explorer and hitting enter

2. It will ask for a username and password XXXXX the username please leave it blank and for the password XXXXX type admin then hit ok. If that fails please try admin for the username and maybe a password XXXXX you have for the password.

3. Once you are in the router please click on WIRELESS, then click on WIRELESS SECURITY when you are in WIRELESS SECURITY you will notice that it shows a PASSPHRASE? if so that is network password XXXXX make sure that is what you were using before that could be problem to your original problem right there, it is case sensitive. If there isnt a passphrase it might have a KEY then use the first KEY in the list.

4. Now lets click on "BASIC WIRELESS SETTINGS" in there you will notice that it says "Network Name(ssid)" That migth say "Linksys" lets change it to something like linksys44 now once that is changed please click save settings. If you dont see that make sure the configration view is on manual.

5. Now once that is done all wireles devices need to rescan and try to connect to the new ssid name us created in step 4 and also use the password XXXXX you found in step 3. Thsi should sovle your problem.

If this answered your question or got your systems back working please ACCEPT this answer. Thanks!

TechGrant, System Administrator
Experience: I am a network engineer for a small firm and work with multiple small business firms for all there server/administration needs.
Just wanted to see if you got around to checking on my answer I provided for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not yet. Will try your solution later or tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX updated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I followed your instructions and now show linksys44 as an available wireless network...

BUT I now cannot connect to the internet through the router but only if I bypass the router and connect to the internet directly!

Let's now unplug the router and modem. Hook things back up to the router again then turn the on the modem wait about 30 seconds then turn the router on. Reconnect to the wifi and see if it works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will try tomorrow.
That's fine keep me updated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Here's the good news. My laptop shows that it is connected to linksys44 and that the signal strength is excellent.

However, if I disconnect my hardwire connection to the modem, I cannot connect to the internet by the linksys44 wifi even though my laptop show an excellent-stregth connection to it.

Also, the linksys44 signal is now unsecure. I would want to make it password XXXXX as it was before all these problems started.

Furthermore, I still cannot connect to the internet using the hardwire connection from the router. The only way I can connect to the internet now is by bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem.

Thanks for your help. This sucks.

I didn't have you change and passwords. Do you have cable or DSL?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Cable. Obviously the modem is fine because a direct connection from it to my laptop works fine.

Renaming the network and securing it with a password XXXXX much less important than being able to connect to the internet via the wifi and being able to get to the internet hardwire from the router (rather than directly from the modem).

Yes I agree. Well what I was afraid of is that the RESET button was pushed in th back of the linksys router. wich it looks like we will go that route but before I give you steps on that let me ask you a few questions.

First thing is getting it secured is not a problem and wiping out the router isnt a problem and starting over but I need to know something.

Does our cable modem have a BATTERY on it? it will have a battery light nd underneath the modem it has like a place for a battery that it could be removed. If so that could be the problem why your router isnt getting the information from the modem because when you unplug the modem it actually isnt going off.

Could you tell me the MODEL NO. of your Router and Modem please? We will proceed from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The modem does not have a battery but I never did power it down. I only powered down the router. Maybe that's a cause?

And before I contacted you, I did push the reset button in the router.

The modem is Arris TM602A/110.

The router is Linksys WRT160N V3.

Ok when the reset button was pushed it wipes out the router config default that is why you dont have a password XXXXX Thats fine but lets try to get the internet back. Also I did look at a IMAGE of that ARRIS it does have a battery look in the front of the ARRIS and it will have a light by it that and it says Battery 1? On the bottom of the ARRIS there is a place where a long rechargable battery goes you need to pull the battery out because if the modem wont turn off if you dont, we can put the battery in later

1. Turn off the MODEM (arris)

2. Turn Off the ROUTER (Linksys)

3. No lights should be on the devices

4. PLug the modem ethernet cable in the Linksys INTERNET port on the router

5. Now turn on the MODEM and wait 20 seconds

6. Now turn on the Router

7. Once lights are synced try the internet please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wow. You are good. I can now hardwire access the internet from my laptop through the router. Now we need to (1) test if I can access the internet via wifi, (2) rename my network, and (3) make my network password XXXXX I really thought we were dead in the water. Thanks.
That's good news. The wifi should work even though it's not encrypted. To encrypt that part is pretty easy if you log into the router with the steps I gave you on my first post you can go into the wireless security then make the encryption WPA personal or PSK and then the alogrythm tkip then where it says passphrase put in your password XXXXX you want then save the settings. You Dont need to change the SSID (broadcast name) if you don't want but you can. Make the changes connected with the Ethernet cable connected from the router to your laptop. That should fix you up if you have questions please let me know. If all works please ACCEPT one of my answers above. I appreciate your time and positive feedback and bonuses are welcomed. Thanks!
Did you get the WIFI going and secured? Do you need further instructions? Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The network is renamed, it's now secured, and I can actually access the internet using it. I'm amazed. Thanks a lot.
Your welcome im glad it is working, would you please hit ACCEPT on one of the answer above so I recieve the credit for the question. Postive feedback is greatly apprecaitive as well. Thanks!