Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP
18224842

How do I hook up my cisco wireless router ?

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you.

That depends on the model of router and who your Internet provider is. Could you please provide that information and also tell me if the Cisco is new?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model # E1000 My internet provider is WoW Wide open west. its 2 years old
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK since WOW! is a cable provider, the setup should be pretty easy. The only trick is that you have to let the cable modem sit with no power for 10 minutes to allow it to reset. Here are the complete instructions:

1. Reset your router by pressing and holding the RESET button (small button on the bottom) on the bottom of the unit down for 15 seconds. Upon release, the unit will reboot.
  2. Plug your computer into any of the available LAN or Computer ports on the router.
  3. Plug your WOW modem into the WAN/Internet port on the router.
  4. Unplug the power to both your Internet modem and your router. Let both devices sit for 10 minutes.
  5. Plug your Internet modem back in and wait for it to sync (usually about 60 seconds).
  6. Plug your router back in and wait for it to sync (usually about 30 seconds).
  7. See if you can get on the Internet. If you can then please continue. If you can't then plug your computer directly into your modem again and come back here to let me know!
  8. Open up your Internet browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  9. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password.
  10. Please click the Wireless tab on the router setup screen.
  11. Depending on your model, this screen may have a choice of Manual or WiFi Protected Setup. Please choose Manual.
  12. Change the network name (SSID) to whatever you would like your network to be called.
  13. Click Save Settings.
  14. Click Wireless Security sub-tab.
  15. Change Security mode to WPAPersonal (may also say WPA Pre-Shared Key).
  16. Type a password into the WPA Shared key blank (may also be labeled Passphrase). This will be the password you use to get onto your network.
  17. Click Save Settings.
  18. At this point you should be able to join your new wireless network and access the Internet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still not working on my new laptop
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK are you hooked up through the Cisco right now using a cable, or are you plugged directly into your WOW modem again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
directly to wow modem
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK so when you connected the Cisco to the WOW modem and then plugged your computer in the Cisco you could not get Internet at all?

If that is the case, can you tell me if the Cisco suddenly stopped working on its own, or have you just not been using it for a while?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cisco has been sitting for about 6 months

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Well it should be working then, unless something is wrong with it of course. Did you hold down the reset button down on the Cisco for 15 seconds while it was powered on to reset it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not working still

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK I am sorry then I am out of ideas. The Cisco might be defective but I will opt out so that if anyone else has any ideas they can chime in. You do not need to wait here as it may be a little while before anyone else replies. You will be notified via an email if someone can assist.

Thanks and sorry I wasn't more help. Have a good weekend.