R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin

My tablet will not connect to the internet. Settings say I

My tablet will not connect to the internet. Settings say I have an excellent connection, but home screen says there is no internet connection. I know there is because I am using it now on my lap-top. Why won't it connect?
Category: Networking
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'll be happy to help you with this.

The most common reasons for not being able to get a new wireless device to work with a router are not having the correct wireless security key or passphrase and having MAC Address Filtering enabled and the new device's MAC address (a hardware address that is different for each device) has not been added to the list of allowed devices. Additionally, some non-computer wireless devices have trouble with particularly long wireless network names (SSIDs) or names that have spaces or symbols in them that are not letters or numbers.

If you would like assistance with checking any of these items, please let me know the make and model of your wireless router and I'll be happy to assist you with checking and/or changing this information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I'm a little confused about the relist here.

Have you been able to verify your security key or passphrase and that the MAC Address Filter option is not enabled on your router? If the security information is incorrect or if the address filter is enabled, your tablet may well indicate a good connection to the router, but be unable to get out to the wider Internet. If you would rather work with another expert on this, please let me know and I'll opt out so that someone else can work with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tablet has already been connected to this router and has worked. I have tried it at different locations and with different connections with no results.
With that in mind, I'd be looking to see if you have a static IP address entered on the wireless connection first. Next, I'd be looking to delete all of the connection information that you have for this wireless network and re-enter the information. Since you're having trouble at several different locations, it is unlikely that it is a settings problem with this particular wireless network (although I've seen MAC Address Filtering get turned on in a couple of rare cases where it was not previously, and cause this problem). Given that all wireless connections are experiencing this trouble, but you have the indication of a good signal strength to the wireless network, you may also have proxy settings enabled. If this information isn't enough to get you working again, please let me know and I'll opt out and allow another expert with more experience with the Pandigital tablet to take over.
R.A. McConnell, Network Admin
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin