Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  16 Years experience in Support and Engineering PC/Server/Network field.
21913621

I can not get my Netgear wireless router to pick up a wireless

Customer Question

I can not get my Netgear wireless router to pick up a wireless signal. Once in a while it does, but is very unstable. My internet into the house is fine (we have had that completely checked and it works plugged directly into the computer). A ocuple of things we have noted, the computer will pop up with a message now that indicates that there are two computers with the same IP address on our network. We are working off a come computer set-up and not a laptop - but we do not have a "network" set up - that we know of. I have also read that this may be that my router needs a firmware update?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 2 years ago.

Christopher Bessler :

I need a little clearer picture of your home network setup.

Christopher Bessler :

Here is my assumption:

Christopher Bessler :

You have a wired signal coming into the house.

Christopher Bessler :

It is connected to a cable modem.

Christopher Bessler :

The cable modem is connected to the wireless router.

Christopher Bessler :

The computers are connected to the wireless router via wifi.

Christopher Bessler :

Every now and then you get an IP address conflict.

Christopher Bessler :

So, all of that IS your home network.

Christopher Bessler :

The wireless router acts as a DHCP server, giving out an IP address to every device that wants to connect to it.

Christopher Bessler :

The router does not need to connect to any wireless signal, it is the device GENERATING the wireless access point signal.

Christopher Bessler :

If there is an IP address conflict, both of the devices configured with that address will be knocked off the network.

Christopher Bessler :

There needs to be a direct wired connection between the modem and the router.

Christopher Bessler :

Let me know if you are having difficulties with any of this.

Christopher Bessler :

However, I believe your network just needs to be wired correctly.

Christopher Bessler :

You appear to be offline.

Christopher Bessler :

In the mean time I will switch this to a Q&A format question so you can come back to it at any time. I will also be notified when you make a posting.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Let me know...
Christopher Bessler, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience: 16 Years experience in Support and Engineering PC/Server/Network field.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am little confused - bear with me as I don't know a lot about computers. Normally we would connect the modem to the router and the computers would pick up the wireless signal. I can't get the router to provide a signal (the lights on the front just keep cycling). So in order to get a connection to the internet to chat with you I had to connect the modem directly into the computer.
OK.

And you said you already tried to reset the router? (i.e. left it unplugged for 60 seconds)

Is the router yours? Did you purchase it? Or did it come with your cable connection setup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have reset it several times - this has been happening over the last month. It would sometimes pick up a signal, but now won't. It is a Netgear router that we have had about 5 years so could it be something actually wrong with the router? I didn't want to replace until I determined it wasn't something else first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure if I need to start over - as I hit the accept button by mistake

5 YEARS? For a home router?

Wow. That is a VERY long time. Those things usually have a 3 year lifespan. It is a good bet that the router is going bad due to overheating, age, etc.

If the router will not go to ready mode, and stop cycling, then you cannot really troubleshoot it.

Consider replacing it, or at least try another router temporarily. This will tell you if the issue is with the router or with some other component of your home network. I know it is a pain, but that is really the next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok - just wanted to make sure it had run its course. I appreciate the answer.