Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

I have a Trendnet TEW-647GA wireless adapter that I used to

I have a Trendnet TEW-647GA wireless adapter that I used to connect my Panasonic DMP-BD60 to the internet. I just got a new router and now I can't connect. I've reset and reconfigured the adapter but I still get a fail on connection test. Can you help?
Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

How far along in the connection process do you get?
1) Does the device see the signal?
2) When you connect, does it ask for a password?
3) When you connect, are you given any errors?
4) What is the full brand and model name of your wireless router?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jason,

It seems things got worse overnight. Last night I could connect my 647 directly to my PC thru the LAN port and read its IP address and settings. Now it can't be found on my network, despite the fact that both the wireless and LAN status lights on the 647 are on and blinking (indicating network traffic). This may be a hardware problem that you can't fix, altho this adapter has worked in the past. Any suggestions?

Ric
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A few more things...

My router is a Belkin "N+" model no. F5D8235-4 v2. It works just fine.

The device I'm trying to connect to thru the 647 adapter is my Panasonic DMP-BD 60 Blu-ray disk player. It works fine too for disks, and I have been able to access the internet in the past for content and firmware updates without problems, using the 647. The problems started when I got the new Belkin router...the old router was also a Belkin but b protocol only.

Thank you for the update.

I am confused. Do you have Internet access if you plug a computer directly into the router?

.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes...my PC is wired directly to the Belkin router, so I have internet access. I also have a laptop which connects wirelessly to the router; it has internet access too. I'm trying to connect my Blu-ray player wirelessly to the router, just like my laptop. But the Blu-ray player doesn't have built-in wifi, so I have to use the adapter.

Thank you for the update.

Did you have any issues running the installation CD that came with the adapter?

.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No...I've gone thru the installation several times, resetting the adapter each time. The manual installation wizard always says it successfully configured the 647.
Thank you for the update.

Lets do some checks on the adapter.

Please, follow the instructions below:
  • Disconnect the computer that is plugged into the router with a cable and plug that same computer into the adapter with the network cable
  • Turn the adapter and computer off
  • Turn the adapter on
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Turn the computer on
  • - Click the Start Button (click run for XP)
    - Type: CMD
    - Hit Enter
    - In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ipconfig
    - Press Enter
    - What is shown for the IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway?
    - In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ping 4.2.2.3
    - What does it say, replies or request timed outs?
    - In the blackbox, type the following and press Enter: ping red.com

Please, update me with that information and I will know exactly how to help.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ipconfig
autoconfiguration IPv4 address: 169.254.229.227
subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
default gateway: (blank)

ping 4.2.2.3
transmit failed error code 1231

ping red.com
could not find host

Thank you for the update.

That tells me that the configuration was not completed correctly for some reason.

May I please, remote into your computer so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. But I am using my PC to communicate with you, thru the router. To run the ping test I disconnected the router and plugged the adapter into my PC. If you try to diagnose the adapter you won't have a connection. However, my router has 3 free ports on the back. Should I keep the PC hardwired to the router and also plug the adapter into the router?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let me know when you want to do the remote access. I'm available pretty much any time this weekend and evenings (PST) during the week.

Thanks,

Ric
Sorry for the wait.

If your computer has more than one network port, that will be more than enough.

Please, let me know when you are ready for the remote link and I will send it.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll get back to you Saturday afternoon.

Thank you.

I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jason,

I'm ready for your help and can give you my undivided attention until this is resolved.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=af51d177-a127-42fa-a787-2ff3cb4a73d9&SUPPORT=NET

I was disconnected.

Is the device working now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No...I had no internet connection so I disconnected the adapter and rebooted

Please, plug the device into the disc player and check if you can get online through it.

If you still cannot access the Internet on the player, please let me know.

-Jason
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK...stand by

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. Connection test still fails...sorry.

Thank you for the update.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=0bbd8072-61b0-4e7a-af43-791e6e9d227b&SUPPORT=NET

You may click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button on the bottom right of your screen now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, please bookmark the following website. You can ask any future questions directly to me and I will be the expert assigned to your case: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jason,

The link to Paypal for your tip doesn't work. Can you send me a new link or your email address so I can pay you directly?

Ric

Thank you for checking on that.

You can click the "My Questions" link on the top right of this page and then click the Add Bonus link.

.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still not working...just continues to try to connect. Guess I'm full of trouble, eh?

Oh, that is a problem...

If you wish, I can send this up to the billing department for you. If so, please state what you wish your bonus to be.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes...I want to leave you a tip for spending so much time with my problem. Please have billing contact me.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Ric
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jason,

Sorry to say...adapter has stopped working. Worked fine all of yesterday, then I shut down the adapter, router, computer and disk player. Tried to connect today and it wouldn't. Can you five it another shot?

I won't be available until around 1500 PST on Monday 1/9. Let me know if you can assist again at that time, or state another time.

Ric
Ric,

I will be available at that time and look forward to helping.

Please, post a message here when you are ready to begin.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jason,

I just tried it again and got connected. I think the problem was in the order I powered up my components. Looks like if I power them in the following order, it works: router, (computer), disk player, adapter.

Sorry about the false alarm. Hopefully you won't hear from me again.

Best,

Ric

Ric,

Thank you for the update and the scare :)

Cheers!
-Jason