Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

what does wireless authentication failed because of a timeout

Customer Question

what does wireless authentication failed because of a timeout mean?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.

Netman70 :

Hi, Welcome to just answers, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

thanks

Netman70 :

Try deleting your WEP security phrase and re-entering it

Customer:

where do I go to do that

Netman70 :

1. Click Start button
2. Click Network from the right column in the start menu
3. Click Network Center from the horizontal menu bar
4. Click Reorder wireless networks
5. Double click the wireless network you wish to edit
6. Click Security tab
7. Change the encryption type and network security key
8. Click OK

Netman70 :

Do you know what your wireless password XXXXX?

Netman70 :

numbver 4 should read manage wireless connections

Customer:

I dont see reorder wireless networks from the network center menu

Netman70 :

Number 4 should read manage wireless connections

Netman70 :

sorry

Customer:

Ok, there were 3 and I changed all of them from WEP to none.

Netman70 :

does your wireless internet require a password?

Customer:

Yes I know my wireless password. i should probably tell you that I'm currently connected to the internet via a neighbor's unsecured network.

Netman70 :

ok

Netman70 :

Try it and see if it worked, if not I would recomend unistalling your network adapters driver and reinstalling it .

Customer:

but I see my home network come up on the list of networks. when I typed in the password, I rec'd the message "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout."

Customer:

no that didn't work

Netman70 :

Ok but your connected to the wireless now so we know its not your computer

Customer:

I reconnected thru my neighbor

Netman70 :

Have you tried reseting your router

Customer:

yes I did it a few days ago. should I try it again?

Netman70 :

Not if you already tried that

Netman70 :

Goto Device Manager right click on the right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

Customer:

where is device manager?

Netman70 :

Start- control panel

Netman70 :

System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager

Netman70 :

then look for network adapters or wireless adapter

Customer:

if I right click it says "scan for hardware changes"

Customer:

right click on Atheros AR5007... it says "update driver software"

Netman70 :

click the + next to network adapter then right click the adapter and update driver

Netman70 :

yes

Customer:

click search automatically for updated driver software?

Netman70 :

yes

Customer:

windows has determined the driver software is up to date

Netman70 :

ok

Customer:

should I do it for Nvidia as well?

Netman70 :

sure

Customer:

it is up to date

Netman70 :

Try to change the encryption type on your router or access point from AES to TKIP

Customer:

where do i go?

Netman70 :

did yu log into your router to setup your password

Customer:

no my roommate did.

Customer:

on her computer

Netman70 :

Ok

Netman70 :

What brand and model is your router

Customer:

dlink n300

Netman70 :

can she connect to your wireless network with her computer

Customer:

yes. she has two laptops, they both connect.

Netman70 :

Ok one more thing to try

Netman70 :
click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /flushdns

Customer:

ok

Netman70 :

Did it work?

Customer:

ok just a second.

Netman70 :

Ok

Customer:

no :(

Netman70 :

This is a common problem with Windows Vista. Sadly I am out of ideas. I will Opt out so other experts can see this and help.

Netman70 :

go here and http://www.scribd.com/doc/18484465/DIR-300-Wireless-Router-Manual start on page 14 and it will walk you thru what you need to do to set the security, you need to make sure that the security setting like wep or wpa is the same on your computer as it is on the router.

Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand how to enter the ip address of the router into the web browser.
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.
Type that address into your address bar ,. just type 192.168.0.1 in like you would a web page but just the numbers not www. or .com just 192.168.0.1
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.

I should mention this will not work unless you are connected to the router or on a computer connected to this router

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but i can't do that if I'm not connected to the router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then open/expand Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm. Then restart the computer.

Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type:

netsh winsock reset , and press Enter.
ipconfig /release , and press Enter.
ipconfig /flushdns , and press Enter.
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt , and press Enter.

Then restart the computer and then click on the wireless /network icon at the bottom right of the laptop's screen and select your wireless network name and connect and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later; please let me know if this works or not. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, sadly, it didn't. also, when I entered "ipconfig /release" into the command prompt I rec'd an error message.
Please ignore the error message and continue the next command, and continue the rest of my steps and check. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I ignored the error msg and continued with the rest of the commands, but it didn't work
After restarting the computer, what happens when you click on the wireless /network icon at the bottom right of the laptop's screen and select your wireless network name and connect? thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it doesn't connect and when I press "diagnose problem" I receive a message that says, "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout."
Please reset the router with the following steps: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes, then from the laptop, connect to the wireless network named dlink... and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, it didn't work
What's the brand and model of the laptop? Does it have windows vista or 7?

Can you click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Properties, then check if your System type: is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
compaq presario F762NR. 32 bit
Please download, save, and install each of the two Wireless drivers from the website below until it works:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3694906#N400
; click on Driver - Network (3)

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should I download all three?
Can you click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device Manager, then open/expand Network adapters and let me know all the item(s) under it? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
atheros ar5007 802.11b/g wifi adapter & NVIDIA nForce networking controller #2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
neither of those work.
Did it say it installed successfully? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it didn't
What happens when you install the downloaded files? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it just walks me thru and I keep clicking "next". like do you accept the terms and conditions?
, then it finished without any error message? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
right
You did reset the router per my previous suggestion right?

, so other laptops work with your router, but not your laptop?

, and your laptop is able to connect to your neighbor's wireless, but not your router? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, yes, and yes.
That's very strange as it looks like there is no issue on both the laptop and router. Do you have a USB wireless adapter to try? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have netgear 54mbps wireless usb 2.0 adapter
Great. You can go to Device Manager and open/expand the Network adapters and right-click on the wireless item and disable it, then install the netgear usb wireless adapter software and see if it works. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where do I find the netgear usb wireless adapter software?
What's the exact model and version of netgear 54mbps wireless usb 2.0 adapter? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Netgear
54 mbps Wireless USB 2.0 adapter
WG111v2
Please make sure to disable the internal wireless item in Device Manager first. You can download and install the netgear software at
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/713
Do not connect the netgear usb wireless adapter until it says you can.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It worked Viet!!!! you are a true genius, thanks so much for sticking it out with me.
Great. I'm glad you got it working. You're welcome. Please click on Accept if I have been helpful and please leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Experience: Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.