Jon-Tech
Jon-Tech, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  Global IT Manager, Senior Network Engineer / Server Engineer.

I am trying to connect my DirecTV HD DVR receiver (model HR24-100)

Customer Question

I am trying to connect my DirecTV HD DVR receiver (model HR24-100) to my home network; however, I do not have an ethernet connection close to the receiver. I currently use Verizon FIOS for internet. I have a MI424WR router that I use to connect my computers, IPADs, etc wirelessly throughout the house. I also have a Linksys WRT300N router (not connected to anything). Is it possible to add the WRT300N router wirelessly to my home network and connect my DirecTV receiver (via ethernet) to my home network?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jon-Tech replied 2 years ago.

Jon-Tech :

Hi I'm Jon I look forward to helping you.

Jon-Tech :

I will check to see if we can use 3rd party software for your WRT300N to be used as a bridge for your DirectTV receiver

Jon-Tech :

I may need the firmware version of the router, it should be located on the bottom of the unit, could you check for that please

Jon-Tech :

OK I have an answer for you, the following version of firmware are currently available and supported Linksys WRT300N v1, v1.1 all other version are not Full link is http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT300N

Customer :

1.1

Jon-Tech :

If you have version 2.x firmware there is no support and you can't upgrade and use as a bridge. If that is the outcome then you can purchase an E2000 or WRT54G both can be purchased for around $30 and can be upgraded to be converted to a bridge / network extender and it will work excellent, I have use both for this purpose with great results. Your other option is to purchase home plugs. They are network extenders that you install in your AC outlet and plug an Ethernet cable into, one close to your router and one close to your network device

Jon-Tech :

You my friend are in luck. you can use the firmware to turn the router from an AP to a bridge

Jon-Tech :

When upgrading the firmware be very aware to not brick the unit by following each step exactly. Do you have any further questions or concerns, would you like additional links to anything?

Jon-Tech :

The other advantage is you can also connect other devices into the bridge, i.e. a digital dual tuner from HDHomeRun and get free over the air TV on MAC or PC

Jon-Tech :

Whelp, if you feel I have answered your question please press ACCEPT so I can receive credit for helping you, else please let me know how I can further assist you. Thank you - Jon

Customer :

Can you send me the link to the v1.1 again...just switched to my PC and lost the previous messages on the thread.

Jon-Tech :

OK sure hang on

Jon-Tech :

what version OS is your PC?

Customer :

pc is xp.

Jon-Tech :

ok is it media version or home version

Customer :

media. what is the 30-30-30 reset?

Jon-Tech :

its 30 seconds each

Customer :

so..my linksys router is not connect to anything right now...do I need to just connect it to my PC so I can access the set-up page?

Jon-Tech :

yes just plug an rj45 lan cable in your pc and one in your router and start the process, but download the upgrade firmware file and ancillary tools as required by the procedure

Jon-Tech :

also download the procedure or print before starting

Jon-Tech :

let me know if you have any more questions - I'll be happy to answer them best I can. Jon

Customer :

i have the procedures opened on my MAC...trying to follow the directions.

Customer :

so...downloaded the file and have the linksys set-up menu open. I saved the file to my desktop..what am I supposed to do with it? Also, how do you do the 30-30-30 reset?

Jon-Tech :

yes download the file to my document then when you open the firmware update page on the router it will be easier than the dsektop. use the reset button on the router not sure if it is on back or bottom on your router

Customer :

ok...up to step 6

Jon-Tech :

Sounds like you have some familiarity with routers, that's good

Jon-Tech :

When you hit the final step you will see the new DD-WRT firmware interface, go to the bottom of main page and select elegant, it's the best interface choice then you will setup the router as a bridge not an AP, you can also allocate the WAN port to LAN use

Jon-Tech :

then match the name of the primary router SSID name, security and pass phrase, as well you will need to turn off DHCP on this device and let the primary router deliver DHCP by telling the bridge the default gateway is the main AP router ip addr.

Jon-Tech :

check to make sure the router connects as a client and bingo your live!

Customer :

up to step 11...now on the wrt webgui

Jon-Tech :

excellent do you want me to stick around a little longer?

Customer :

if you can, please stick around.

Jon-Tech :

ok I;ll hang out...

Customer :

step 15...how do i set the user name and password?

Jon-Tech :

just enter admin for user id and keep password XXXXX until your ready to make it the same as the other router

Customer :

it won't accept admin and blank password

Jon-Tech :

it should as there is non set

Customer :

ok...just tried root and admin and it worked

Jon-Tech :

hang on let me check something for you

Jon-Tech :

ok good job

Customer :

I think I did everything (1-16). What's next?

Jon-Tech :

whelp if you finished the firmware upgrade then it's time to setup the router

Jon-Tech :

let me give you that info again ... hang on

Jon-Tech :

7:30 PM

7:31 PM

Customer :

yes

Jon-Tech :

and DON'T FORGET to tuen off the WAN port

Jon-Tech :

oops turn off the WAN port

Customer :

where do you change the WAN port to LAN use?

Jon-Tech :

not sure on your router, do you need the manual?

Jon-Tech :

Go to WAN on the DD-WRT interface

Customer :

ok..under networking, it has WAN port assignment as vlan1

Jon-Tech :

let me look on my DD-WRT router hang on

Jon-Tech :

Hang on

Jon-Tech :

I'm logingin into my bridge hang on

Jon-Tech :

go to setup then wan then choose disable

Jon-Tech :

did you find it?

Customer :

no

Jon-Tech :

ok go to the main menu

Customer :

ok

Jon-Tech :

now look for setup 1st item upper left

Customer :

I'm there

Jon-Tech :

ok now 1st line item WAN disable this

Customer :

where it says STP?

Jon-Tech :

thats the one

Customer :

got it.

Customer :

where do i put in my router info?

Jon-Tech :

ok next go to wireless setup and select bridge

Jon-Tech :

client bridge to be exact

Jon-Tech :

set the mode and the name of the primary AP router

Customer :

mode currently says "mixed" what do I change it to?

Jon-Tech :

the fastest speed it can go that is supported by your main AP router, else if you don't know use mix, but its not optimal for bridge

Customer :

done

Jon-Tech :

ok so it is set as client bridge yes?

Jon-Tech :

if yes then next step is to set security i.e. WPA2/Personal and pass phrase

Customer :

yes

Jon-Tech :

Wait

Jon-Tech :

before you go at bottom of page choose bridged under network configuration

Jon-Tech :

then go to wireless security

Jon-Tech :

use / match the same setting as on your main AP router

Customer :

done

Jon-Tech :

ok now we just need to turn off DHCP on this Bridge and were done!

Jon-Tech :

I think the DNS is on the next tab at top called services

Jon-Tech :

second item down if it's grey'ed out or not checked then I think were good

Customer :

it is not checked

Jon-Tech :

ok I think were good please go to status and step through the setup look for red flags and concerns

Jon-Tech :

if you see something that doesn't look right let me know

Jon-Tech :

start with status / router

Jon-Tech :

nest is WAN should be disabled

Jon-Tech :

LAN at bottom DHCP server disabled

Jon-Tech :

also your main IP router IP should be the gateway IP addr listed and subnet 255.255.255.0

Customer :

all good

Jon-Tech :

wireless might already have your main AP listed but if not no worries

Jon-Tech :

If everything looks good then reboot the WRT300N and wait a couple minutes to see it is listed as a wifi client on your main router

Customer :

there is an IP address in the active client under LAN

Jon-Tech :

yes thats you!

Jon-Tech :

what we need to see is your WRT listed as a client on your Main router

Customer :

my problem right now is I cannot access by main router's page. Can't get pass the password

Jon-Tech :

ok then the router your on right now is 192.168.1.1, YES?

Customer :

yes

Jon-Tech :

ok please open a dos box and type ping 192.168.1.1

Customer :

on my pc...it says 192.168.1.1 unreachable

Jon-Tech :

ok type ipconfig and tell me what it says

Customer :

screen keeps disappering

Jon-Tech :

oh... go to start, run then type CMD

Jon-Tech :

then run ipconfig in the box

Customer :

not getting an ethernet connection from PC to router and wireless light is flashing on router

Jon-Tech :

ok shut down your PC and power cycle the router then turn on your PC

Customer :

same

Jon-Tech :

same ?

Jon-Tech :

you mean you try to ping the router?

Customer :

the wireless light is blinking on the linksys router. when I ping 192.168.1.1, it says unreachable

Jon-Tech :

Di you save the setting?

Jon-Tech :

save setting on router?

Jon-Tech :

and please go to start run and type cmd then enter ipconfig

Jon-Tech :

My guess is your IP stack on your PC is messed up

Customer :

yes. IPCONFIG has an auto configuration IP address

Jon-Tech :

what is the results for IP Subnet and Gateway

Customer :

subnet is 255.255.0.0...default gateway is blank

Jon-Tech :

what is your ip address

Customer :

169.254.221.30

Jon-Tech :

you cant reach the router because your IP stack is messed up

Jon-Tech :

please go into control panel network connection properties then TCPIP and change from DHCP to static, enter 192.168.1.2 as your IP and 255.255.255.0 as subnet then close, go to dos window and type ipconfig /release

Jon-Tech :

then when done type ipconfig

Jon-Tech :

you should see 192.168.1.2 and 255.255.255.0 now you can access your router again

Jon-Tech :

when you login go to wireless settings and confirm the wifi security and passphrase to get the wifi working.

Jon-Tech :

I forgot to remind you to save the setting and apply so we may have to configure the router again

Customer :

saved the passphrase... wireless light is now steady

Jon-Tech :

good news did we space and not save the setting or are we ok?

Customer :

did not apply the settings

Jon-Tech :

ok we need to run through the setup again and when done set apply then save... please go to setup and check and set WAN to disable

Jon-Tech :

then check status lights on router if look normal go back to wireless setup and seciurity recheck and if good go to status

Customer :

saved the settings...router is now rebooting after i apply

Jon-Tech :

ok

Jon-Tech :

your making me earn my monies tonight!!! good thing your pretty sharp!

Customer :

everything looks good.

Jon-Tech :

ok lets have you do a ping - ping 192.168.1.1 please

Customer :

4 packets sent...4 received

Jon-Tech :

ok great now ping google.com

Customer :

could not find host

Customer :

the internet light is not "on" on the router

Jon-Tech :

ok when you do a ipconfig what is the default gateway address listed?

Customer :

it is blank

Jon-Tech :

ok what is the ip address of the main AP router?

Customer :

192.168.1.1

Jon-Tech :

yup thats what I thought... ok so both routers have the same IP

Jon-Tech :

What is the ip address of your MAC on that router, so I know where the DHCP table starts

Jon-Tech :

I'm hoping its something like 192.168.1.101

Jon-Tech :

if the MAC IP is above .50 then set the WRT router to 192.168.1.2 please

Jon-Tech :

to do this go back into the router and go to setup then basic then go down to a little

Jon-Tech :

and change the local ip to 192.168.1.2 and enter the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 please

Jon-Tech :

then press apply and save

Jon-Tech :

let me know when you got that finished up, ok

Customer :

the router address is 192.168.1.1 on the WRT setup

Jon-Tech :

yes it is also same for the MI424WR yes?

Customer :

yes

Jon-Tech :

ok so they cannot be the same - we need to change the WRT IP please go to the WRT300 and go to setup, then basic and change the local ip to 192.168.1.2 and enter the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 please

Jon-Tech :

once this is done we will change our IP stack on the PC to DHCP and do an ipconfig .release then ipconfig /renew and we can do a ping

Jon-Tech :

don't forget to apply and save after updating the ip address and the default gateway address

Customer :

the router is rebooting

Jon-Tech :

ok now go to your PC and change to DHCP client please

Customer :

change to auto?

Jon-Tech :

YES

Jon-Tech :

then go to dos box and type ipconfig and see what it says

Jon-Tech :

BTW you never did tell me the IP of the MAC?

Customer :

192.168.1.2

Jon-Tech :

the ip address of the mac is 192.168.1.2?

Customer :

yes

Jon-Tech :

ok please change the router ip from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.250

Jon-Tech :

then apply then save

Customer :

having problems getting back into the wrt settings

Jon-Tech :

change your PC from auto to static 192.168.1.100

Customer :

still cannot get in...do i need to do ipconfig /release after changing the ip

Jon-Tech :

just do ipconfig and tell me what it says please

Customer :

it shows the ip address 192.168.1.1 and subnet 255....

Jon-Tech :

go back into the TCIP and change from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 then tell me what ipconfig is again

Customer :

meant 100 not 1

Jon-Tech :

ok and subnet is 255.255.255.0 YES?

Customer :

correct

Jon-Tech :

ok then the pc is fine - try to ping 192.168.1.250

Customer :

ping ok

Jon-Tech :

ok then the router is fine

Jon-Tech :

make sure the routers last setting have been applied and saved, if yes then reboot the router one last time and then ping it again please

Customer :

i cannot get to the router settings'

Jon-Tech :

if you can ping it then you should be able to access it by browser using the same address.

Jon-Tech :

last time you were on the router did you apply and save before you left?

Jon-Tech :

Were going to have to wrap up soon we've been at this 3 hours and it's late. If we have to, we can finish tomorrow if we don't finish in about 10 minutes ok

Customer :

okay...saving setting. do i need to do the release and renew again?

Jon-Tech :

yes after you change back to auto dhcp

Jon-Tech :

on the pc. You will then get the ip address from the main router MI424 through a dhcp passthrough from the wrt300n so the ip and gateway and ssid and security have to all be correct for it to work

Customer :

okay...got an error trying to do renew. unable to contact dhcp server

Jon-Tech :

ok just reboot the pc

Customer :

rebooted..IP address did not save...it is showing 169.254.221.30

Jon-Tech :

ok type ipconfig /release then renew

Customer :

same thing...unable to contact DHCP server when I try to renew

Jon-Tech :

The reason you get the 169 address is the DHCP is not getting renewed from the DHCP server. The reason this is happening is there is a setting on the WRT300 that is not matched to the settings on your MI4 router and from here I cannot see what it is so I have to rely on you... you can, if you need to, turn on DHCP on this router WRT and set it to 192.168.1.100 with 10 clients to 192.168.1.110 and then you can work through the wifi setting to get them matched, if they are off.

Jon-Tech :

It's late here and I have to go... you can continue to work on this if you like and let me know in the morning where your at and how you would like to proceed OK?

Customer :

appreciate all your help...i will shoot you a note in the morning. thank you.

Jon-Tech :

right now were kind of running in circles. If you don't get a 192.168.1.x address after the PC is rebooted then I would turn on DHCP on the WRT as it is the easiest way to solve this stage of the problem

Jon-Tech :

Ok good luck. We can get this to work, I've build dozens of these bridges

Jon-Tech :

chow for now...

Jon-Tech :

Haven't hear back from you, yet. If I was able to help you with your original request please press ACCEPT, else if you have more questions or need more help let me know. Helping You Building a Custom Bridge from your router was really not park of the original request. I appreciate the opportunity to help you so please let me know where things are at. Jon-Tech

Customer :

still not able to connect...starting over to see if I missed something.

Jon-Tech :

The most important thing is to match the wifi security and SSID settings, WAN disabled and to set the gateway to match the main router IP, if for some reason your router has the wifi set to a different IP than the LAN IP address the bridge must be set to that, and for you it might just be easier to enable DHCP on this router for now, and please set DHCP to start at 192.168.1.125 and no more than 10 clients

Customer :

so... i started over. Think I did everything. I am able to ping the wrt router when connected via ethernet. The wireless light is constant on the wrt and my IP address, subnet and gateway are showing up for my pc in ipconfig. not sure if we discussed the final step to see if I can connect to the internet with wrt

Jon-Tech :

The next step is to be able to ping your gateway router at 192.168.1.1 from your bridge, if you can do this then you are set, if you cant then you will need to turn on DHCP on the bridge... let me know how it goes... I'm crossing my fingers for ya... Jon

Jon-Tech :

I just built another bridge tonight using dd-wrt on a Cisco E2000. If your still having a problem with your bridge and your PC getting DHCP please double check you DHCP Setting if you don't have DHCP running on the bridge it must be set to forward, and the gateway address must be set to the IP of the main router IP address.

Jon-Tech :

and make sure your wifi is exactly matched on both routers SSID name to security type i.e. WPA2/Personal AES etc.

Jon-Tech :

I got this bridge up and running in about 15 minutes for a customer... Jon