PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Windows Systems Administration, Active Directory, Servers, WSUS, SCCM
61194327

Cant connect to amazon.com. Tried explorer and chrome. Just

Customer Question

Can't connect to amazon.com. Tried explorer and chrome. Just get blank page even with firewall turned off. All software, incl. Windows 7, is current version. ?????
Category: Networking
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 4 years ago.

Please click this link and see if you are able to access amazon.

http://72.21.211.176/

If so, then you likely have a dns entry that is not correct. To try and resolve this, click on start and type cmd in the search box, but don't push enter. Right click on the cmd.exe in the search results and choose run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type.

IPconfig /flushdns

This will flush the dns cache and hopefully resolve the problem. If you can't access amazon using the link to ip address listed above, then something else is wrong. You could try firefox as well at http://firefox.com

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, but..... I tried the IP address and flushed the dns cache. Nothing. Then I downloaded and tried Firefox. Amazon.com seemed to workwith Firefox. Then I re-tried IE; nothing. Then I re-tried Chrome; worked for a while, until I tried a search for a book on the Panama Canal and it stopped working. Incidentally, my wife's MAC works flawlessly.

I need IE as my primary browser as it's required by my business software (real estate). I've been using the MAC to access Amazon. I'd really like to know what IE's problem is and fix it, so I'm not entirely satisfied with your solution. Also, I thought I was ordering the low priority, no hurry version at $19.

Can you solve the problem with IE, and/or change the billing to $19?

Thanks,

Tom

I am afraid I only answer the questions, you would have to contact customer service about the billing questions. Here is a link to the customer service page with contact us button on the right, and phone number at the top.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

You problem is very strange. I have some suggestion that may help with this problem. The first thing I would try is to delete the temporary internet files. To do this, click on start -> control panel -> network and internet -> internet options

On the general tab under browsing history, push the delete button. At a minimum I would delete temporary internet files and cookies, all the form data and saved passwords if you are up for that.

Another thing you can do in the internet options is to click on the security tab -> trusted sites, then sites and add amazon.com as a trusted site.

If those don't help, you could try resetting internet explorer to default settings, this is located on the advanced tab.

If you are not already running IE9, you could try and update to IE9, if you have IE9 already, you could try removing it and go back to IE8 assuming that won't cause problems with your business software.

Another thing I would suggest is to unplug your router for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Though it looks like you already tried that.

The only other thing could be a malware infection causing browser re-direction. It might be a good idea to download and install this free program malwarebytes, then update and scan your computer. If they offer a trial, I would decline it. This is not an antivirus protection, only an on demand scanner that works well for removing infections.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html