Ben_Stratton
Ben_Stratton, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  Net+ Certified 5+ years experience B.A.S Networking Security

I have ATT DSL service using the old SBC provided 2Wire 1800HG.

I have ATT DSL service using the old SBC provided 2Wire 1800HG. My smartphone shows a 2Wire wi fi network available, but I cannot connect. Where can I find the WEP or Passphrase to make sure I am entering the correct WEP information?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ben_Stratton replied 2 years ago.

Ben_Stratton :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX XXXX Answer and I will be assisting you today. Please respond back with your name when you are ready to begin.

Customer:

Hi Ben, I'm Calvin

Ben_Stratton :

Calvin nice to meet you. I understand you are looking for the WEP key to access the wireless network, is that correct?

Customer:

Partly. If the 2Wire 1800HG is a modem with wifi, then yes. I have what I think is the original WEP, but not sure, since it does not connect. What happened is we had SBC dsl and moved. DSL was not available at the new place so we went to cable. Now we are in our new home (just constructed) and have dsl again connected and working fine with the old 2wire 1800HG, but can't connect phone to wifi.

Ben_Stratton :

On most SBC routers there is a tag somewhere on the device itself (usually on the back) that will indicate the wireless password (WEP key). Can you check if it is on the device itself for me?

Customer:

Bottom? Would it be called serial number or something else? I'll check.

Ben_Stratton :

It will say wireless network key

Customer:

Nothing that says wireless key. There are two bar codes on the bottom. One bar code is the basic 4200-1900183-001. The second bar code has a SN 474126132481 above the bar code and(NNN) NNN-NNNN below the code.

Ben_Stratton :

Alright well those are not what we are looking for. However we can figure this out another way.

Ben_Stratton :

Is the machine you are on right now connected to the wireless?

Customer:

My desktop is connected to the 2wire via ethernet. Yes, I am at the desktop.

Ben_Stratton :

Alright great.

Ben_Stratton :

Can you do the following for me.

Customer:

I will try.

Ben_Stratton :

Go to start > type in cmd > and hit enter > then type in ipconfig /all

Ben_Stratton :

Let me know the results

Ben_Stratton :

specifically the gateway

Customer:

gateway.2wire.net is that what your are asking for?

Ben_Stratton :

the gateway should be something like 192.168.1.254

Customer:

Defaulat gateway 192.168.1.254

Ben_Stratton :

ok type that address in a new tab in internet explorer

Ben_Stratton :

much like any website

Ben_Stratton :

and it should bring you to the router configuration page

Ben_Stratton :

once you are there you should be able to see the wireless password XXXXX the wireless network screen

Customer:

It brings me to a choice of websites. Let me click on one.

Ben_Stratton :

Here try this

Ben_Stratton :

http://192.168.1.254

Ben_Stratton :

click on that link

Customer:

I'm using 64 bit Win 7 does that affect anything?

Ben_Stratton :

No it should not, however if you hit control on your keyboard and then click the link it will open on a new tab.

Ben_Stratton :

that will be the router configuration page.

Ben_Stratton :

where you can find your wireless password.

Customer:

Still get the listing of websites. Here is what I am doing. 1) Bing window, I enter http://192.168.1.254 hit enter and I get a listing of available sites?

Ben_Stratton :

Ok, when that happens, it means you are doing an Internet search for the website. please just hold control on your keyboard, and click the link (it will go directly to the router configuration)

Customer:

Sorry, Ben. I have holding control and clicking the link...still get listing.

Ben_Stratton :

ok not a problem, instead of putting the address in the bing search bar, can you put it in the URL bar at the top of the screen and see if that makes a difference?

Customer:

crazy thing..it works....password XXXXX 'set'

Ben_Stratton :

ok great

Ben_Stratton :

is it asking you to create a password XXXXX what exactly do you see?

Customer:

it just shows password set...when i click on details, then I get a keycode 522P-22P4-6262-22AT-F2NV

Ben_Stratton :

do you get a screen that looks like this?

Full Size Image

Customer:

that is the screen, yes.

Ben_Stratton :

great.

Ben_Stratton :

click on the home network tab at the top.

Ben_Stratton :

and then click on wireless settings.

Customer:

yes. wireless isn't checked

Customer:

when i click on wireless, i get moved to the system password XXXXX page

Ben_Stratton :

ok you will need to know the system password XXXXX continue, let me look it up for you.

Ben_Stratton :

try just password

Customer:

sorry, told you wrong....the wireless button shows 'disable'...so it must be enabled.

Ben_Stratton :

yes, great.

Ben_Stratton :

in the middle does it show any type of security?

Customer:

on which screen. It does have firewall settings tab.

Ben_Stratton :

Home network tab, and then wireless setting screen

Customer:

nothing on home network screen, but when I click wireless settings the system password XXXXX comes up.

Ben_Stratton :

yes, that is where you need to type in the password XXXXX the router, this is typically password

Customer:

do you want me to click 'forgot password' ?

Ben_Stratton :

sure if that password XXXXX XXXXX working

Ben_Stratton :

we need that password XXXXX continue.

Customer:

escuse me, what password XXXXX the router? the WEP? or the string of numbers below the 2nd bar code on the bottom of the modem/router?

Ben_Stratton :

list both for me so I can help you

Customer:

Customer:

This is from the 10:53 chat above

Customer:

Ben_Stratton :

ok neither of these are the wireless password.

Ben_Stratton :

We are in the right area.

Ben_Stratton :

we are inside the router configuration page.

Ben_Stratton :

this is where we configure the wireless

Ben_Stratton :

you have to go to the wireless settings page, which continues to ask for the router password, however this is something that was setup originally, most likely by the SBC technician.

Ben_Stratton :

We are really close Calvin, however without the router password XXXXX are only left with two choices

Ben_Stratton :

1. Reset the router to factory defaults, and set everything back up.
2. Contact SBC to have them reset the router password (I work for Just Answer, not SBC).

Customer:

SBC does not exist.

Customer:

will it hurt for me to try a password XXXXX will it freeze up after 3 tries?

Ben_Stratton :

it will not hurt

Customer:

let me try something.give me a minute or two.

Ben_Stratton :

not a problem.

Ben_Stratton :

How is it going, still working on it?

Customer:

OK. Got a new password. what now.

Ben_Stratton :

now lets go back to the wireless screen on the home network page

Customer:

OK. I'm there.

Ben_Stratton :

ok now lets setup a new wireless password XXXXX the middle of the screen

Ben_Stratton :

what is the password XXXXX type selected right now

Ben_Stratton :

WEP, WPA, WPA2-PSK ?

Customer:

Do you mean new wireless 'key'? It currently shows WEP.

Ben_Stratton :

ok

Ben_Stratton :

I would suggest changing it to WPA-PSK

Ben_Stratton :

WEP is very unsecure

Customer:

Yes. Let me do that.

Ben_Stratton :

WPA-PSK allows you to create a password XXXXX your choosing (minimum of 8 characters long)

Customer:

Would I check 'custom' instead of default? Then enter the 8 digits?

Ben_Stratton :

Yes.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

HIt 'Save"?

Ben_Stratton :

Yes :)

Ben_Stratton :

then lets try to connect your smartphone to the wireless with that new password.

Customer:

Alright. HTC Evo. I am trying now.

Ben_Stratton :

Nice phone selection!

Customer:

Ben, we are connected. Thanks. You have earned your money. I'll gladly click 'accept'.

Ben_Stratton :

Glad we could work through this together!

Ben_Stratton :

Have a great new year!

Ben_Stratton, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience: Net+ Certified 5+ years experience B.A.S Networking Security