Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP

My Sony vaio laptop will not connect to my router after a power

Customer Question

My Sony vaio laptop will not connect to my router after a power outage. It keeps assigning the network name with a 2 after it (SSID: PRNGL, in network share center it says I am connected to PRNGL 2). I renamed routed PRNGL 2 and it hasn't fixed anything. All my apple products connect to router just fine, but my 2 Sony vaio laptops will not reconnect, even after removing and adding network in network and sharing center. Laptop works fine is wired into router.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Magic C. replied 2 years ago.

Magic C. :

Hi, I'm Magic, and thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. I will be glad to help you.

Magic C. :

I would try reinstalling your WLAN drivers for your laptop

Magic C. :

What exact model of Sony VAIO laptop are you using?

Customer : Vgn-nw270f & vpccw21fx
Customer : Same problem both laptops
Magic C. :

did both experience the same power outage?

Customer : Yes the power outage affected router, laptops had battery backup, but both have been unable to connect wirelessly since
Magic C. :

so your laptops see the correct SSID, but they cannot connect to it?

Magic C. :

when you login to your router, does it see the laptops try to connect to it?

Customer : They see it and connect to router, but do not get throu to the Internet. I'm typing to you. Now on my iPad which has not experienced the issue. I have renamed my router PRNGL, and my laptop says I am connected to it, but in network and sharing center it said my active network is PRNGL 2. My router was originally named HUG27, and it said it connected to it but named it HUG27 2.
Customer : I have to wire into router, and yes router said laptops are connected to it
Magic C. :

on the laptops, if you have them connected by Ethernet cable, remove the Ethernet cable, then disable and re-enable the wireless signal

Magic C. :

make sure to remove ALL previous networks/SSIDs that you have been connected to before as well.

Customer : Done
Magic C. :

It's almost beginning to sound like a problem with your router still. Make sure to verify what SSIDs/networks your laptop is "seeing"

Magic C. :

but since other products connect, it's hard to tell.

Magic C. :

strange for a corruption to happen on 2 Windows-based laptops at the same time.

Customer : Ive already spent an hour on phone with Verizon testing on their end...
Customer : I assumed it was a Sony thing since only affecting them
Magic C. :

hmm...strange

Magic C. :

is it Verizon's wireless router, or one that you purchased

Customer : Theirs
Magic C. :

hmm...do they allow you access to login to it?

Customer : Y I'm in it now
Magic C. :

ok, go to the DHCP leases and see what devices have 192.168.x.x IP addresses

Magic C. :

check if the MAC addresses from the Sony laptops are in there

Magic C. :

also, reverify the wireless SSID just to make sure

Magic C. :

sometimes a separate "guest" SSID can be created on some routers.

Customer : Vaio connected Ethernet Mac address:00:24:be:3b:7f:34
Magic C. :

does it give an IP address in the Verizon router?

Customer : Vaio wireless Mac address:78:dd:08:c8:2c:a7
Customer : 192.168.1.3& 192.168.1.4 ip addresses
Magic C. :

hmm...so the laptops are getting connected?

Customer : They connect to router but say are connected to network with diff name, it adds a 2 to the end of network name for unknown reason
Magic C. :

hmm...oh

Magic C. :

I know what you are seeing.

Customer : For example SSID name PRNGL, it said connected to PRNGL 2, so I renamed SSID to PRNGL 2, it now says connected to PRNGL 2 2
Magic C. :

After the power outage, it's reading it as a different "network", but it's actually the same one

Magic C. :

mine have done that sometimes.

Customer : I have removed network and re-added and it still does it. I've done that several times, restored system and restarted router and laptop several times
Customer : And they're both doing it
Magic C. :

Windows will sometimes detect it as a different "network" even when it is not. It's totally ok.

Customer : So you say!
Customer : It sounds like you have a fix tho...
Magic C. :

There is a way to "merge" these

Magic C. :

bare with me while I get that

Customer : K
Magic C. :

Open Network and Sharing Center

Customer : Done
Customer : Btw it assigns the new network as a public network, if that means anything
Magic C. :

ah, it should be a home network, not public

Magic C. :

in the upper left of Network and Sharing Center, it should say "Customize"

Magic C. :

I mean upper-right

Customer : Found it
Magic C. :

click that

Magic C. :

you should get a prompt to change it to Home

Magic C. :

after you save that, there is another link for "Merge or Delete Network Locations"

Magic C. :

that will bring up all the "network locations" for your SSID. Select the ones to merge, then click OK. Voila!!

Customer : No merge or delete network location link....
Magic C. :

it should be in the lower-left of that box that gives you the option to change the type of network you are connected to

Customer : Only let's me view or change settings in network and sharing center or view or change home group settings on this page
Magic C. :

so when you click Customize in the upper-right, what's the next screen you get?

Magic C. :

should be to the right of your active network

Customer : There is no customize in network & sharing center, I found it in show hidden icons so I don't think that's what we were looking for, in network & sharing center I clicked on the network PRNGL 2 2 and it let me change it there
Magic C. :

aye...they changed the menu

Magic C. :

sorry about that.

Customer : I see -manage wireless networks
Customer : Change adapter settings
Customer : Change advanced sharing settings
Magic C. :

that's different. Those are the actual physical SSIDs that you connect to

Customer : Does this info help - IPv4 connectivity : internet
Magic C. :

the place where you saw it was the correct place

Customer : IPv6 connectivity: no internet access
Magic C. :

Network Sharing Center > Click the active network.

Magic C. :

that's where it allows you to change and also merge networks

Customer : I do not see merge networks anywhere
Magic C. :

when you delete them from the "manage wireless networks" section, it's "supposed" to delete the networks also from the other part.

Magic C. :

so it did allow you to change your connection to a "home network"?

Customer : Yes it says PRNGL 2 2 home network
Magic C. :

ok, any other links on that page?

Customer : Manage wireless networks, change adapter settings, change advanced sharing settings, control panel home
Magic C. :

ok, click on the icon for your active network

Magic C. :

just under 'View your active networks'

Magic C. :

there should be another window that appears

Customer : Ok it says merge or delete networks here
Magic C. :

there we go. Click that

Magic C. :

it will show you the additional networks. Choose the ones that match the original

Customer : Wow about 20 listed...
Customer : Even though I renamed?
Magic C. :

yeah. it makes a separate one for each one you rename

Magic C. :

weird Windows 7 quirk

Magic C. :

that will correct the issue though.

Customer : Original was HUG27, so click that with one that says currently in use?
Magic C. :

yes, if they are all the same.

Magic C. :

that should resolve what you are seeing.

Customer : Now it says select location to be merged
Magic C. :

good, now click all the ones you want to merge to the original

Magic C. :

then click OK, and it will merge them

Magic C. :

typically I would only merge them if they have the same "root' name

Customer : I selected the 2, now it says "select network location into which the network locations selected on previous dialog should be merged"
Customer : And it list all named again
Magic C. :

good, now click the one that it should be merged to

Magic C. :

then click OK.

Customer : I'm asking which should I select? Original name or new name?
Magic C. :

the new name, if those are the ones you are merging.

Magic C. :

merge all like PRNGL to those like it

Magic C. :

HUG27 should be separate

Magic C. :

to keep it simple

Magic C. :

I am leaving for a bit to run some errands. If you have further issues, please respond and I will see it here. I will return in about 3 hours.

Magic C. :

Sorry to leave so quickly.

Magic C. :

have to pickup my kids

Customer : All PRNGL merged, so I should be good?
Magic C. :

yep. you should be good

Customer : I understand
Magic C. :

do the same on the other laptop as well

Magic C. :

I shall return around 830pm.

Customer : Well it didn't fix anything, I went ahead and deleted all other networks from the merge and delete screen and nothing after restarting computer. Very frustrated at this point
Customer : Broke out old laptop, connects to router just fine
Magic C. :

Sorry about the long delay.

Magic C. :

As long as your laptop is connecting to your router, that is what matters. WiFi connections tend to cause this issue the most.

Magic C. :

It may say that it's a different network, but what matters is what you see on the wireless icon in the bottom-right

Magic C. :

by the time.

Magic C. :

I can understand the frustration.

Magic C. :

From what you've shown me, it looks like your laptops are connecting to your router without problems...Windows is just naming the 'network' in a funny way since it's seen different 'versions' of the same network.

Magic C. :

If wireless didn't work at all when you connected to your router, that would be another problem.

Customer : So...... What's the fix?
Magic C. :

Are your computers able to connect to the Internet using wireless?

Magic C. :

You said you already tried to restore your laptops to a time before the power outage earlier, so that is not the problem.

Magic C. :

There are 2 other options: reinstall your WLAN drivers or try creating a new user account to see if your user account is corrupted.

Magic C. :

Let's try creating another user account first. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts

Magic C. :

Create a new account with 'Administrator' privileges. you can name it whatever you want.

Magic C. :

afterwards, login to the account and see if you are able to connect to the Internet using wireless.

Magic C. :

I forgot to ask...what computer security are you using on your computer?

Magic C. :

It's very possible that your computer security could be causing the problem.

Customer : New account cannot connect, I use mcafee subscription
Customer : I turned off my firewall and couldn't get online still