Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  1-100+ Workstations. Simple or complex. Rackmount or simple routers. No problem!
59162784

I have similar question regarding Belkin range extender. When

I have similar question regarding Belkin range extender. When I try to access belkin.range it tells me server cannot be found. I can connect to any other website without any problems.
Category: Networking
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with this problem.

Customer:

Thanks!

JBryan42 :

belkin.range is not a valid DNS address unless it was specifically added to your hosts file.

Customer:

I am pretty technologically un-savvy. I am attempting to install this device per the manufacturer's instructions.

JBryan42 :

No problem. Can you tell me the model of the extender? I'll try to find the manual online to see if I can see where you are stuck.

Customer:

It says to plug it in, connect to pc via ethernet cable and open browser then type "http://belkin.range", its the Belkin f9k1106 dual band range extender

Customer:

the desktop i am using doesnt have a built in wireless card. Im connected to the internet via a belkin usb wireless n600 adapter. not sure if that makes a difference or not.

JBryan42 :

Ok, trying to find the manual. Give me just a sec.

Customer:

Wireless router is apple airport extreme, if you need that information also.

JBryan42 :

Ok. hmmm ... is the machine you are installing from an apple or windows xp machine?

Customer:

windows xp

JBryan42 :

ok. I have the manual up but can't run the setup disk of course. Is it the setup disc that is telling you to type in that address?

JBryan42 :

Oh wait .... did you say that you are not connecting to the belkin via Ethernet cable? Only wirelessly?

Customer:

no, there is no set up disk. The only thing on the disk is the owner's manual. I believe the setup is run through the belkin.range web page

Customer:

i double checked; all that is on there is a .pdf owner's manual

JBryan42 :

Ok, you're right. I was on the wrong manual. I have the correct one up now.

JBryan42 :

Reading .... brb

JBryan42 :

Ok, so you should have a cable going from your computer, directly to the extender. Do you only have one computer to use or do you have two?

Customer:

I do have another desk top. However, it is not wireless enabled. It is plugged directly into the apple router via ethernet cable. It only has one ethernet port which is currently plugged into the apple router.

JBryan42 :

That will work. Unplug the desktop from the router at the router side. Then take that end and plug it directly into the ethernet port on the extender.

Customer:

The computer im talking about is this one that im using to converse with you. How about taking another ethernet cable and plugging the router into the extender?

JBryan42 :

Nope. That won't work. We need to connect directly from one computer only to the extender.

Customer:

Let me clarify...I have in front of me two desk tops. The one im currently typing this on is plugged directly to the router via ethernet cable; it does not have wireless capability. The other desk top is connected wirelessly to that same router. I have an extra ethernet cable. I can't take that cable and plug into the extender?

JBryan42 :

Yes! You can do that. Then you would continue the setup on that second machine. But before connecting the cable, disconnect from the wireless network on that machine just to make sure there are no conflicts. In fact, if you can disable the wireless connection temporarily, even better.

Customer:

ok, I have disabled the other computer's wireless connection. I have now plugged in the router to the extender.

JBryan42 :

Ok, now open a browser and go to http://belkin.range on that second machine.

JBryan42 :

Wait!

JBryan42 :

You plugged the router into the extender? That's not right.

JBryan42 :

The second computer needs to be plugged into the extender, not the router.

Customer:

ok, the other computer is plugged into the extender.

JBryan42 :

Ok, now open that website on the second computer.

Customer:

wont open. there's no internet connection now on the other computer as i disabled the wireless connection

JBryan42 :

There shouldn't be an internet connection. The only connection on that second machine should be from the computer to the extender. And the only internet connection should be from this machine to the router. Can you open Firefox?

Customer:

no, can't access anything on other computer

JBryan42 :

Is it turned on?

Customer:

yes, light on front is blue/red alternating

JBryan42 :

Is the screen showing anything?

Customer:

nope, just blank page that says "server not found"

JBryan42 :

Ok. But Firefox is up and running. And it is displaying a message. So, now go to the address car at the top and manually type in "belkin.range" without the quotes.

Customer:

did that and it says "firefox can't find the server"

JBryan42 :

ok, try http://belkin.range

Customer:

tried that also, same thing

JBryan42 :

Is the extender on?

Customer:

yes

JBryan42 :

Try turning it off and back on. It is supposed to be intercepting all of these requests.

Customer:

still nothing

JBryan42 :

After the extender reboots, try going to "http://Belkin.range" without the quotes. It might be case sensitive.

Customer:

that didn't work either

JBryan42 :

Is you LAN connection enabled?

Customer:

that's strange. I just got a pop up from norton security that asked me if this was a shared network. I clicked yes and now the belkin page is up

JBryan42 :

There we go. Ok, so it looks like we were just waiting for Norton to pick up that it was connected. Buy you probably should have answered "No" because it might not be allowed to do everything it needs to do now.

JBryan42 :

Can you temporarily disable Norton while you continue the setup?

Customer:

its running through the set up now, I think so.

JBryan42 :

Ok, I'd suggest running through setup, disable Norton if possible just so nothing gets blocked. Other than that I think you're all set.

JBryan42 :

Please be sure to "Accept" my answer if you feel that I have helped you with this problem, whether you have a subscription or not. I do not get paid for my time unless you accept the answer. It has been a pleasure serving you. Contact JBryan42 anytime you need help. And remember, Tips and positive feedback are ALWAYS appreciated! :)

Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 1-100+ Workstations. Simple or complex. Rackmount or simple routers. No problem!