TechGrant
TechGrant, System Administrator
Experience:  I am a network engineer for a small firm and work with multiple small business firms for all there server/administration needs.
63752651

How do I stop "dial up connection" box from popping up? I

Customer Question

How do I stop "dial up connection" box from popping up? I have another computer (a notebook) that I cannot get connected to the internet. I have wireless but somewhere along the line I acquired this "dial up connection" and now I can't get rid of it and it won't let me connect to my wireless network.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

JBryan42 :

It's bringing up the dialup window because it thinks that you are not connected so it is first trying to establish a connection. Can you verify that the WiFi is connected?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Yes the Wi Fi is connected

JBryan42 :

Other than that you can go into your device manager and disable your modem.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I do not know how to do that.

JBryan42 :

The WiFi settings may also need to be changed to say "Never dial a connection" or "Always Connected" depending on the drivers you're using.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I really don't know what you are talking about now.

JBryan42 :

Start - Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Thank you - what do I do after I get to the device manager?

JBryan42 :

Look for modem

JBryan42 :

Hang on one sec. Launching XP on my machine.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

There is no modem there.

JBryan42 :

Ok, give me just a minute here

JBryan42 :

Click on the + next to "Network Adapters"

JBryan42 :

How many do you show?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay - it says Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter and below that it says Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Thernet Controller.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Sorry that is Fast Ethernet Controller

JBryan42 :

ok. Close everything except your browser and Control Panel

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay that is done

JBryan42 :

Ok, trying to find the option. Give me a minute. It's been awhile since I used XP

JBryan42 :

Click start - type "inetcpl.cpl" and hit enter

JBryan42 :

in a run box that is

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay - that brought up the Internet Properties box

JBryan42 :

Click the "Connections" tab and make sure "Never Dial a connection" is selected.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay - it is selected. Just so you know it was sent on always dial my default connection before now.

JBryan42 :

That's what I expected. Ok, now click Ok and you should be all set.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay but it just disconnected me after about 30 seconds.

JBryan42 :

Are you sure that your connected by WiFi?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

How do I tell?

JBryan42 :

Start - Control Panel - Network Connections ... telll me what's listed there and if either of them say they are connected.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

There are all kinds of things listed there - set up or change your internet connection, set up wireless network for home, network set up wizard, wireless network setup wizaird, etc, nothing says that I am connected.

JBryan42 :

Did you go to "Network Connections" or "Internet Options"?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Network and Internet connections are one tab - there is no just network connections option

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Internet options just takes me back to the internet properties box.

JBryan42 :

Close that window, go back to Control Panel. Tell me if you see "Switch to Category View" in the top left

JBryan42 :

wait

JBryan42 :

Did you already close it?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

No - the closest thing I have to that is switch to classic view

JBryan42 :

Ok, Click "Network and Internet Connections"

JBryan42 :

Underneath where it says "or pick a control panel icon" you will see "Network Connections" click that.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay I think I found what you want me to look for. Network connections has Broadband listed and also LAN or High-Speed Internet and they are all showing not connected

JBryan42 :

Ok. And you are connected with a lan cable to the router on that machine?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

We have wireless through a router.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I am not connected with any cable.

JBryan42 :

Right, but it doesn't look like that computer has a wireless receiver. Or, at least the driver hasn't been installed.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I don't know how that can be as I have used wireless on this computer many times - I am not sure what happened to make it stop working.

JBryan42 :

Was it connected to the internet when we turned off the "Always Dial" selection?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

No - as I said I cannot get it to stay connected for more then 30 seconds.

JBryan42 :

ok .... I guess I'm not understanding what you are trying to accomplish. If we re-enable the "Always dial", will it start working and stay wrking for more than 30 seconds?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

It does not matter what it is set on - it will not stay connected more than 30 seconds. When I click on IE this box comes up that says "dial up connection" and asks me for a user name and password - which I don't have because I don't have dial up. This happened when I tried to connect to the Internet while I was out of town a few weeks ago.

JBryan42 :

Because right now your Wireless connection is not showing up in the network options. You only mentioned broadband and LAN, right?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I want to know how to get rid of that box and get it back to connecting automatically to my wireless as it alway has before. In network connections it does show a wireless network connection and says I am not connected.

JBryan42 :

Ok, but the reason that the box was coming up and was enabled was because it did not connect to your WiFi. So there must be a WiFi card in there (especially if you have no cables plugged in to a router or telephone jack). But somehow it's not showing up on your network connections.

JBryan42 :

Ok, you didn't mention that it showed it before ... right click on the wireless icon and tell me what your options are.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

options are disable - view available wireless networs, repair, bridge connections, create shortcut, rename and properties.

JBryan42 :

View available

JBryan42 :

double-click on yours

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

okay, my wireless network shows up there

JBryan42 :

Ok, did you double-click to connect to it?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Yes and it asks for my network key which I am typing in now - it is very long

JBryan42 :

ok

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

It says conneted and it flashes a few time then disconnects

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

It continues to say unable to connect to preferred wireless network. I have run a virus scan and a malware scan and both showed nothing.

JBryan42 :

ok. So you are able to connect. But then get disconnected. Are you sure that you are entering the key correctly? Goes it ever stay on long enough that you can bring up a webpage?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I'm pretty sure I am entering the key correctly. It does not stay connected long enough to bring up a webpage.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Please note that I have tried repairing in the past but that did not work either.

JBryan42 :

Ok, then either the security type or passwork/passkey/passphrase are being typed wrong. Can you log into the control panel of the router from this computer?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I can probably do that if you tell me how.

JBryan42 :

Start - run - type "ipconfig" without the quotes and hit enter. Then tell me what the "Default Gateway" is set to.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I click start but there is no run on this computer - I am chatting with you on Windows 7.

JBryan42 :

Ok, then Start - "cmd" enter - "ipconfig"

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay I think I did this right - I got a box that says Administrator and windows IP configuration

JBryan42 :

No .... you should be at a DOS Box.

JBryan42 :

Click Start - Type "cmd" - wait for it to show up in the menu at the top, right click and select "run as admin" then type ipconfig.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Yes I did that and it took me back where I was - It does say windows IP configuration and then it says Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection, and goes on from there.

JBryan42 :

ok, Default Gateway?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Where it sayd default gateway it has some numbers - 192.168.1.1

JBryan42 :

ok, go ahead and close that now.

JBryan42 :

Open a new tab in your browser and go to 192.168.1.1

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay, closed

JBryan42 :

Tell me what it asks for

JBryan42 :

If it connects, that is.

JBryan42 :

brb

JBryan42 :

back

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Wait a minute - which computer did you want me to open the command box on? When I type this number into a new browser it just gave me a list of web pages.

JBryan42 :

Into this computer

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Okay as I said i got a list of web pages - one of which says lynksas router default address.

JBryan42 :

hmmmmm .... ok, well you need to find out how to get into the control panel for your specific router. Do you have the manual? You might try http://routerlogin.net

JBryan42 :

Or tell me the model number of the linksys

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I have everything that came with the router, including a CD but there was no manuel

JBryan42 :

Ok, what is the model number?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Linksys WRT54G

JBryan42 :

The address should have worked then. Try "http://192.168.1.1" without the quotes

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I got another list of web pages to visit.

JBryan42 :

You're being hijacked then. You need to do a full virus removal which I'll give you the instructions for. Does anyone else in the house use the wireless portion of that router?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Yes, everyone does and no one else has had a problem.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Where are we going to remove this virus from?

JBryan42 :

That's fine. After you do the virus removal, ask someone else in the house to get the network setting from their computer. You will need the Security Type, and Key. Remember that security types could be a range of things like WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA2+TKIP, WEP+TKIP and that the network key IS case sensitive if it has letters in it.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I have all that information on a page I printed out from Linksys. How do I do this virus removal?

JBryan42 :

You're going to remove the virus from your Windows 7 machine. It wouldn't hurt to do it on the XP machine later as well just to be safe.

JBryan42 :

Download TDSSKILLER from Kaspersky Labs at http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

JBryan42 :

Unzip the .zip file and run the resulting .exe file (with Admin privs if on Vista or Win 7)

JBryan42 :

Set all of the preferences to checked, and let it scan. DELETE all infected files and reboot.

JBryan42 :

Download MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (you only need the free version)

JBryan42 :

Install it, do the update (VERY IMPORTANT!), then do a FULL scan. It will default to Quick Scan, change it to Full!

JBryan42 :

The full scan can take a bit of time, possibly 2-3 hours. After the scan is done DELETE all infected files and reboot.

JBryan42 :

After that is all done, reboot the computer again.

JBryan42 :

Now we need to find out if there were any files hidden that should not have been, This part varies by the version of

JBryan42 :

Windows you are running. If it's Windows XP, Click "Start", "Run", type "cmd" and hit return. If it's Windows Vista,

JBryan42 :

Click "Start", type "cmd", wait for it to show in the menu listing", Right click on it and select "Run as Administrator".

JBryan42 :

If it's Windows 7, Click "Start", "All Programs", "Accessories", Right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run

JBryan42 :

as Administrator". Now you should have a "DOS BOX". Type the following commans exactly:

JBryan42 :

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\*.* /S (Enter)

JBryan42 :

Wait for the above to finish and you are back to a prompt. You will see a LOT of errors about "Not resetting files xxxx", you can safely ignore those errors.

JBryan42 :

Then type this command, again ignoring any errors and waiting until it returns to a prompt:

JBryan42 :

ATTRIB +R +H +S C:\Desktop.ini /S (Enter)

JBryan42 :

Once that is all done we can move on. If you have more than one hard drive, do the same 2 commands but

JBryan42 :

replace "C:" with the drive letter of your other hard drives. Don't worry about CD drives though.

JBryan42 :

And finally we'll clean the registry with cCleaner. Go to http://www.piriform.com and

JBryan42 :

download cCleaner from the piriform mirror. Install the program as Administrator. Let

JBryan42 :

it intelligently scan for cookies, click "Analyze". Once that's done let it run through

JBryan42 :

the cleanup routine.

JBryan42 :

That should do it for you.

JBryan42 :

Bookmark this page so that you can come back to it once you are all done with all of that to let me know how it went.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

How do I print out those instructions as I will never remember all that?

JBryan42 :

But for now I'll step out and let you run through all of that. Good luck and I'll talk to you soon. Hey, we got the first part done .... no more popup! ;)

JBryan42 :

Right click the frame and click "Print"

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

That's not true I still have the popup.

JBryan42 :

The dialup popup??? I thought you said it was gone?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

No I never said it was gone . What do you right click the frame - what frame????

JBryan42 :

Where the conversation is, that's the frame. Just right click anywhere that it says "JBryan42" and click Print

JBryan42 :

Is the popup gone or not?

JBryan42 :

Has it popped back up? And if not, can you try to do whatever it is that you normally do to make it popup?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Yes I tried to connect again and the pop up did not show so maybe it is gone. Also cannot seem to print per your instructions. Will only give me a couple of lines.

JBryan42 :

A little over an hour and 15 minutes ago you said:

JBryan42 :
JBryan42 says:
1:40 PM

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- says:
1:41 PM

JBryan42 says:
1:41 PM

JBryan42 :

Did you click the "Never Dial a connection" button like I asked?

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Yes I have clicked the never dial connection button. Am printing instructions now so will get back to you when I have finished the scan.

JBryan42 :

Ok. Talk to you then.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Are you there???

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

Scan has finished and no malicious items were found. Kasperksy also found nothing. Any other ideas?

JBryan42 :

Next step is to get the login information that the other computers log in with. There has got be something different between your computer and one that connects successfully. So it's either the security type, password, or the router itself is blocking you out. If it's the router you can hold the reset button in back down for 45 seconds and everything will reset to default. But that means that someone needs to get into it to reset the security and anything else that you guys had set on it.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

I have tried all of those steps with no success. I do not feel that you are helping me and I have spent at least two hours with you dealing with this. I do not feel I should be charged as you did not resolve my problem. Thank you for trying but I am going to take this problem to someone else.

JACUSTOMER-at4haz97- :

At this time I would to request a refund. I dislike waiting for you to come online to help me with my problem.

Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! It looks like you have requested a different Expert for your issue. You will not get charged unless you ACCEPT the Answers that are provided to you. If you are online now I would be happy to try to assist you with your problem. Thanks
Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
I would like to try to give you a possible answer to your problem that hasnt been tried yet.

On the computer/laptop that is having the dial up issue please proceed with the steps below.

1) Click Start then click Run
2) Type in the box services.msc
3) When that opens you will notice a lot of services on the right hand side, scroll down until you see "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager". There will be a remote access connection manager as well but only select the "Remote Access AUTO Connection Manager"
4) Double Click the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
5) In the middle it will say "Stop" click the Stop button
6) If you cant click Stop because it already was stopped then stop here and let me know, if you can click stop then stop it and move to step 7
7) Once it has stopped please change the Startup Type to "Disabled"
8) Hit ok and exit out of services. Now try to reconnect to your wireless and try the Internet and see if that fixed it.

If this fixed your issue please ACCEPT this answer, If not please let me know and we will check a few more things that have not been done. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the start up type but do not know how to change it to disabled. I tried right clicking but disabled was not an option there.
Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
Its a drop down menu, did it allow you to stop it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it did allow me to stop it but I can't figure out how to disable it.
Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
You stopped the one with AUTO in the name correct? Just want to make sure. Right above where you hit stop you should see that it says "Start Up Type" Go to the right of that and you will see a drop down arrow click that (left click) then select disabled, then hit ok. If you are still not sure from there let me know and ill make a screenshot for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The name of the one I stoped is Remote Access Auto Connection Manager. I found where it says "Start Up Type" and l did left click on the arrow but a drop down menu did not appear and it changed the whole list from Manual to Automatic. Disable is still not an option.
Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
Interesting, there should be 3 choices. Manual/Automatic/Disabled.. Well verify that it is stopped for me please the best way is that when you go back to it the button START will be highlighted to be pushed. Of course dont start it.

Once your verified it is stopped please reconnect to your wireless and try the internet please. Let me know if that helped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have verified that it is stopped. When I click the arrow by Start Up Type it switches back and forth between automatic and manual - again disabled is not an option. I have tried to connect to the internet and it will not work. It will connect but the connection only lasts for a few seconds and then is disconnected. This is your last chance to help me. I feel I have given your company more than enough chances to help and I have spent a lot of time going back and forth on this with no resolution to my problem. I will not pay for this if I cannot get this resolved.
Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes a problem can take some steps to fix with out just reloading everything on your computer. I am glad you have gave JustAnswer a shot at the problem.

If that is has been stopped and it is still doing that I have one other option to try and if that doesnt work and you dont want to try another expert, I will request a refund for you so you dont have to pay for our services. Even though you made a deposit we dont get paid unless you ACCEPT an answer so, we dont want our customers paying for a job that isnt fixed.

When did this problem start happening has it been only a few days and it started or has it been going on for some time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This has been going on for some time (around Thanksgiving) but I have not had time to get it fixed. I will try your one other option but if that does not work then I am afraid I will have no choice but to ask for a refund. Let me know what the other option is and I will give it a try. Thank you.
Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
I agree, well I am going to give you steps to restore your computer to an earlier time before thanksgiving so when it asks for a date make sure you select before that time the date will be in dark blue that you can select. Let me know how it goes the restore should only take about 10-15 minutes or less but let it run do not stop it or turn off your computer during the process.

To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.

On the Select a Restore Point page, click the restore point when your computer was functioning right, and then click Next.
Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

Log on to the computer . Might take a minute but click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page.

If it was successful please connect to your wireless again and see if it works for you. Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I tried System Restore. Note that I have previously tried this and it did not work but went ahead and tried again. It says that the computer cannot be restored to a previous time. Thank you for your help. I do not want to talk to another expert. I would like a refund.
Expert:  TechGrant replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. Please use this link to contact JustAnswer for your deposit money back

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

I will also flag this post for a refund for you. Have a wonderful week and I hope you get your computer working again!