fbox
fbox, Network Engineer
Experience:  6 years networking in the Us Army
43327059

I have a ROKU LT, but it doesnt work with hotspots. I get

Customer Question

I have a ROKU LT, but it doesn't work with hotspots. I get my internet through our apartment complex wifi - sign in with a user name and password. A ROKU forum suggested attaching a router to the laptop to create an access point worked for them. I have a Netgear N300 Wireless Router. How do I set this up with my laptop (a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista)?
Category: Networking
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX ill assist you today.

Use the wan or internet port on the router to connect it to your laptops ethernet connection. Then switch that adapter(the local area connection) to share its connection thru that adapter. The router will then see your computer as broadcasting a accesspoint connection. You can then set it up to broadcast wifi.

First though you need to setup the router to broadcast wifi by plugging an ethernet cable into its 1 to 4 ports and powering up the unit. Then go thru the set up of the router on the pc to broadcast wifi and setup your password XXXXX it.

Once that is done switch the cable from 1 to 4 port to the wan or internet port(Only other port that should be available).

Now go to your network adapters in vista:

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the your wifi adapter(this is the one getting internet right, if not select the adapter that is providing your internet to pc), and then choose properties.

3. Select the Sharing tab
  4. Under internet connection sharing select allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection. Select setting button, make sure everything is selected there then apply the settings. will need to restart for your router to pick up the connection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Frederic - you are going to find that I am totally clueless regarding this stuff. I don't follow the first two paragraphs. I think I am supposed to do the second paragraph first, but totally don't understand what it is I am to do.

Do I put the cable into 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the back of the router, and also plug it into the computer? Where do I go to set up a password?

"First though you need to setup the router to broadcast wifi by plugging an ethernet cable into its 1 to 4 ports and powering up the unit. Then go thru the set up of the router on the pc to broadcast wifi and setup your password XXXXX it."

Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Ok, sorry.

First you need to set up the router for the first time, this must be done thru one of the ports 1 thru 4 on the router so you will be given a gateway address.

You then use your gateway address for the router to log into its web based configurator. Then from there you can make changes to the wifi and such. Look below for proper instructions.

Open your preferred web browser:

Type http://www.routerlogin.net in the address field of your browser, and then click Enter.

A login window will appear.

When prompted, enter admin for the router user name and password for the router password,
both in lowercase letters

Click ok or press enter to enter the configuration page.

When prompted to update just say no for now.

On the main menu, select Wireless Settings to display the Wireless Settings screen which
includes your Wireless Network and Security Options settings.
Select a Wireless Network Name (SSID). The default SSID is NETGEAR. Change it to whatever you want to connect to.

you should be able to leave all the other settings to there defaults except for the security password.

So change the wireless security option to wep from the drop down for wireless security, may be several versions of it but you want to choose wep, tkip. Then insert a key to use as your password XXXXX save the changes. Make sure under the general settings under wireless settings that the wifi is enabled. Once done then you can close the session in your browser.

Then just switch your router to the wan port for the ethernet cable that is connected to your pc. Unplug the router and replug to power after a minute to let it reassociate with your pc as the host.

Then you can go to your wifi manager and dont change which one your connected to but do a scan to see if your new setup wifi shows on the list of wireless networks in range. Then cancel after checking.

Once done then you are good to try and connect your roku wirelessly to your router.

Be aware based on how the internet your accessing wirelessly is set up it could deny further additions on your wifi connection, otherwise wont allow more traffic thru then one mac address, but most likely not with this setup.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are probably going to be pulling your hair out when you are done with me!

You said:

How do I set up the router for the first time? I plugged in the cable to port 1, plugged it in to my laptop, nothing happened so I typed in the path you provided:

http://www.routerlogin.net

and this took me straight to Netgear website q&a page.

I apologize for my ignorance. I think I am not doing it right from the start. When I first tried on my own, I plugged the router in internet slot and into my laptop and put in the disc - it was looking for a hardwired internet connection which is when i stopped and went to you.

Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
The thing is you could use the cd to install it but then it is going to ask you about your internet connection with your provider. It doesnt need any of this info, it just needs to pass the traffic from pc on over to the wifi it is broadcasting. Just do a reset of the router to clear any of that stuff, reset button is on back of unit near the ports. Its a small hole with a reset label near it, use a paperclip and depress for about one minute to reset the unit back to factory defaults.

Also make sure your local area connection adapter is not disabled.

Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections. Right click on your local area connection and make sure it is enabled. Will be enabled if the option you get from drop down is disable, if it says enable then select that option to enable your local area connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't even know what to ask anymore. The device shows on my internet login but does not connect to the internet. FYI - WEP was not an option in the wireless setup you had me go to so I chose the one they recommended. I created a password. But still nothing, I still have to access the internet through the original info.

Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
I dont know what to say right now, do you want to schedule a remote session, these things can get difficult and I may need to look in the router settings to ensure nothing is stopping it from sending traffic. The routers are meant to pass traffic from a modem to the router but you can get this working as I have done it several times before. Depending on the router settings though it might not ever allow it.

Just let me know, ill be available for about another 30 minutes and all day the rest of the week. So just let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do we do a remote session?
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
I can send you a link that you open with internet explorer, download the software when prompted and then go back to the page from the link and select join session, it is secure. Then we chat and you allow me to use your pc from mine so I can check settings and such. You see everything I do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Let me know a time that is good for you tomorrow or anytime this week as I have to log out for the moment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can we do noon tomorrow - I am in Colorado, I think you are two hours ahead of me so that would be 2pm your time.
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
That is fine, thank you. Ill be here will send a reminder a little before then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ready for remote session when you are. FYI - I have two laptops. One I am trying to connect to the Router and ROKU, and one I have been communicating with you on - don't know if that will make a difference to you.
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Yeah that wont make a huge difference. As for setting up the router I can do that on either pc. Just have the wifi running the internet connection, then we will use the ethernet port for your routers connection for its set up.

As for your roku that setup is on you. You have checked and ensured that the roku does boot up to the optons so you should be good on that once we got the router passing traffic.

Can you give me about 15 to get some things situated and then ill send you a link for the remote. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - just so I have it set up properly,

I will be signed into the wifi internet connection.

Do you want me to have the Router plugged into the laptop already, or will we do that after you go remote?

Also, you are saying when the router is plugged in you want it in one of ports 1-4, not the internet port to start?

I will be standing by. Thanks again for your help.

Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Yes, have the router plugged in to the port as you described and connected as you described.

Click on the link below to begin the remote process. After clicking on link accept the terms and continue, allow the software to install on your computer. Once done return to page that was opened from link and join the session.

http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=d7299e1c-84a3-4105-9a9d-a323ad85508f&SUPPORT=NET

I will be waiting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i know you are trying to reconnect. Let me know if I need to do anything from this end. Also - a question - at what point do I switch the router from Port 1 to the internet port?
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Ok try to connect again but use this link, and use it from IE.

http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=c0d7e9b8-92f3-4221-be8a-ac55438ce98a&SUPPORT=NET
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

haven't seen any movement on the other one in a while - is there anything i need to do?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am unable to connect to the internet now. Triton wireless had disappeared from the network and sharing center - i managed to put it back in but still can't connect to the internet.

Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
That wifi is controlled by whoever set it up, if it had disapeared from your wifi access list it may be offline at the moment. Is there a way you can find out from the apartment keepers.

Also how are you contacting me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am using the same hotspot wifi connection on the other computer. The Trition 1.3. It still shows on the other computer and says connected but I can't open the internet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Yes sorry had gotten backed up on pther customers and it makes me respond in order. So your using internet on the other pc but its not working on the original one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - In network options it no longer shows Triton 1.3
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
It shouldnt be in network options, it should be listed under network and sharing center --> connect to a network(On left) --> then switch the type to wireless --> triton was set as a prefereed before, just press the scan button or refresh button at top right of that page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did that. It says I am connected but I can not access the internet.
Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
So it says local but no internet, does it say limited connectivity?

Maybe its trying to use the other adapter still since the restart. Disable the other adapter from network and sharing center --> change network device settings(something similar to that, get messed up between vista and 7, plus xp and every other OS including mac that I know well).

Also go to the properties of the wireless adapter and then go to the sharing option and uncheck it then apply the settings.
fbox, Network Engineer
Experience: 6 years networking in the Us Army
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That worked. Do you want to access my computer again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Trying - nothing is happening - it is on Joining your session....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anything on your end - my end is just spinning!!!

Expert:  fbox replied 3 years ago.
Ok wth. It shows you as selected. Close out your browser completly and any other internet stuff and open IE to connect with the link.

http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=ea0e3da7-df4a-4672-b73e-a4c3bc8146f2&SUPPORT=NET