Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Experience:  Computer Business Owner / Former DoD Network Specialist
40218039

My iphone wont connect to my belkin wireless router but my

Customer Question

My iphone won't connect to my belkin wireless router but my husband's samsung does
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Do you have a wireless computer (not hardwired) that is currently connected wirelessly to the Belkin? If so, we can extract the wireless key from it so your iPhone can connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can disconnect the computer and run it wirelessly (I think)...
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Okay... If you can, tell me the version of Windows (XP/ Vista/ 7) that it is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
7
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
If you have a Windows 7 machine that is connected wirelessly, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Wireless Networks -> double click your network -> Security tab -> check the Show Characters box

Your network password will be shown here. Use this security key on your iPhone.

Update me on the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep. Done this. I've called both Belkin and Talk Talk (the router and ISP). I've gone into the Belkin Router Setup Utility and have updated everything so it is the following:

Channel and SSID:
SSID > Foster Wireless
ESSID Broadcast > Enable
Wireless Mode > 11g only (I've tried this as Mixed 11b + 11g)
Wireless Channel > 1 (I've tried this as auto and 11)

Under Security, it is set as WPA/WPA (tried disabling this and also WEP)
Authentication is Pre-shared key
Preshared key is determined and I can see it

I've updated the firmwire for the router and adjusted the connection type settings according to talk talk. It is a PPPoA.

On my iphone, I've 'forgotten' the wifi, turned wifi off, shut down the phone, then unplugged the router, plugged it back in, turned iphone back on, turned on the wifi and tried to connect. It says it is connected but then when I do anything it says it's not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've also renamed and changed things a million times. The computer works wirelessly as does the samsung galaxy. Just my iphone which doesn't. I recently had swisscom (our swiss provider) release my phone but that shouldn't affect the wifi.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
On your iPhone, go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

Your iPhone will reboot.

Upon reboot, go to Settings -> WiFi -> tap on the name of your network -> input your key.

Your WiFi network should connect. Wait about 15-30 seconds. Try to connect to the Internet via Safari.

If your WiFi does not work, go back to Settings -> WiFi -> press the blue arrow to the right of your network name. Tell me the IP Address and Default Gateway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok... did what you said... the little circle to the left of Foster Wireless is still turning. When I click on the blue arrow on the right, the IP Address and Default Gateway are blank.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Wait until Foster Wireless turns into a check mark. Then check the IP and Default Gateway
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is still no check. It does have some info though...

It does say IP Address is 169.254.127.119
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Okay. 169.254.. means that you are not using the correct network key.

Either you have the wrong one or you are typing it in wrong...

Please check the key again and make sure you are typing it in with CaSe sensitivity in mind.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just 'forgot' it, then tried to reconnect to it... double checked network key, have put it in correctly for sure. Little circle thing just keeps going like it is trying to connect but won't. Giving me similar answer:

169.254.62.242 and 255.255.0.0
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Can this iPhone connect to any other WiFi connections successfully?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It connected to a free wifi today with no problem. No password required.

It is now telling me 'unable to join the network' when I try to connect again.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Okay, your ability to connect to the other WiFi with no problem rules out hardware on your device.

There are one of two reasons you cannot connect.

1.) Your router is blocking your iPhone. This is highly unlikely unless someone specifically is blocking your iPhone's MAC address.

2.) You are putting in the wrong network key.

It about 95% of cases, reason #2 is the culprit.

I can walk you through resetting your router if you would like or you can use the method above to extract the key from your Windows 7 machine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already logged into the belkin router setup utility and I have confirmed the password several times. It worked on my other two devices, just not on my iphone. I don't think it is either option. I can try resetting the router but am a bit nervous that will loose all the settings that Talk Talk gave me. I did do the firmware update on the phone with Belkin after the Talk Talk conversation though... so not sure if that means it would be safe to reset?
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Resetting the router will wipe all the settings in the router. If Talk Talk gave you specific settings, I would advise that you contact Talk Talk for them to walk you through a reset of the router.

Unfortunately, even though you disagree, logically, since your iPhone can connect to another WiFi, your iPhone hardware is not at fault. There can only be two other culprits: the network key being incorrect or the router itself.

I'd actually rule out the router because you have stated your "other two devices" are able to connect.

So, through the process of elimination, that leaves the network key.

The only other possibly would be if there is a variable that isn't being disclosure here. But my conclusion, based on the information you have provided is that the network key is incorrect or being mistyped.

Let me know if you want to reset the router. I'd be happy to assist you with that, but I cannot guarantee any of the settings or configuration that may be required by Talk Talk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I wrote down the settings from Talk Talk... so I can do the reset and see how it goes. I really don't think it is the network key as I have entered the exact same key into the other devices and checked it several times.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
If you don't think it's the network key, then it would be the iPhone hardware. If it is hardware, you would need to take it to your nearest Apple Store Genius Bar (http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar) and see about them repairing or replacing your device, since it would not be something that you could just "fix" on your iPhone.

I'm not here to argue with you, I just want to make sure you get the correct answer. If you do not feel that the network key is the issue, I do not want you to unnecessarily reset your router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok... well I'll do the reset and see. I'm just a bit fed up that's all. I'm supposed to be enjoying a vacation and just checking into my email occassionally and I can't do that until this gets fixed. Don't know what is going on as iphone worked elsewhere today.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Connect a PC directly to one of the four ports on the back of the router via the ethernet cable.

With the power on your router, hold down the reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip for 60 consecutive seconds (if you release early start over) and then unplug power to the router and unplug power to the modem.

Turn on power to only your router. Wait 60 seconds.

Now open Internet Explorer and type in http://192.168.2.1 in the address bar and press enter. (If 192.168.2.1 does not work, try http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1).

By default the admin password should be left blank.

Go to the Channel and SSID and Security links under the Wireless section on the left column.

Here you can set up your SSID (network name---I would suggest something different than what you previously had) and your Wireless Security (I would suggest WEP and a 10-digit passcode for simplicity).

After you have set each of these up, press Apply/Save Settings at the bottom of each respective page.

Wait 30 seconds.

Disconnect your PC (if it is wireless) from your router.

Unplug power from your modem and router. Wait 60 seconds.

Plug in power to only your modem. Wait 60 seconds.

Plug in power to your router. Wait 60 seconds.

See if you can get online now.

You will need to reconnect all wireless devices to the new network you created with the new security key you created.

Update me on the results. Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
neither the samsung or the iphone will connect now.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Is this before the hard reset and reconfiguration? Or is this before the hard reset and re configuration?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
after.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Try repeating the reset and connect to the default unsecured Belkin network.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mr. Clark. I tried everything you said and it still didn't work. I'm back at home now and won't be in England again until next week. I would like a refund as we weren't able to solve the issue.