Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

I have a Westell 7500 modem I am using with CenturyLink. I

I have a Westell 7500 modem I am using with CenturyLink. I would like to bridge it into a Linksys router. Can you give me directions on how to do that?
Thanks,
XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Can you tell me the model number of your Linksys please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is actually a Cisco/Linksys E1200 router.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

One more question - has the E1200 been installed before or is it fresh out of the box?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have only changed the password XXXXX basically it's new.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Okay - thank you. Plug the Linksys into an outlet - press and hold the reset button on the back for 15 seconds,then release.

Bridge the Westell with these steps:

1. Log in to the Westell VersaLink 7500 gateway by entering http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser's address bar.
  2. When prompted, enter your gateway's user name and password. The default User Name is admin and password XXXXX password. If the login fails, press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem for 15 seconds, then release - restart your computer, then log into the modem.
  3. From the main menu, click My Network.
  4. Click Network Connections in the left navigation panel.
  5. Click Broadband Connection (DSL).
  6. Under the VC's section, click the Edit icon.
  7. Select Bridge from the Protocol drop-down menu.
  8. Select routed bridge in the Bridge Mode field.
  9. Click OK to confirm you want to reset your modem. The Westell gateway will now reset itself.
  10. Once the modem resets, the main page will display. If the main page doesn't display, click Main.
  11. Click Wireless Settings.
  12. Click Basic Security Settings in the left navigation panel.
  13. Turn off Wireless by selecting Off.
  14. Scroll to the bottom of the window and click Apply.
  15. Click OK when the warning displays that your wireless access will be interrupted.
  16. You will be redirected to the main page. If the main page doesn't display, click Main.
  17. Click My Network.
  18. Click Network Connections.
  19. Click LAN.
  20. Remove the check from the Private LAN DHCP Server Enable box.
  21. Click Apply.
  22. Click OK if a warning displays that enabling private LAN will disable public LAN.
  23. The modem is now in Bridge Mode.

Power off the modem, then connect a cable to the Internet port of the Linksys. Connect one of the numbered ports to your computer.

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the Linksys - wait 60 seconds

Power on your computer

Run the Linksys installation cd - the setup will detect your network and ask for the username and password (PPPoE) information to complete the setup.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I click My Network I get a screen that shows two boxes one of which is labeled Network Devices and has the information on the computer I am using. The second box is listed as Network Summary and lists how many devices are connected and whether they are wired, wireless, or usb. Ther is no mention of a "Broadband Connection"
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
What is the full model number printed on your Westell?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did find the VC section under the Advanced menu. I did as you said and switched it to bridge mode. Unfortunately, that seems to turn off the internet access. All of the other lights stay on including the DSL light. And of course there is no internet access.

I think CenturyLink may have created a different menu system than the one you have. It appears that we are looking at different displays. Also you access the modem's web page with 10.0.0.1 rather than the 192.168.1.1 that you might expect.

The full model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

CenturyLink does modify the firmware to make it their own...

When you bridge it, internet access will be gone - that is normal. The reason that happens is the routing capability of the modem is gone - It is enabled at the router when you set it up and enter the username and password.

Would you mind enabling the bridge, then running the router setup this way?

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the Linksys - wait 60 seconds

Power on your computer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went through the sequence you sent me again. It appears that either it has to be in PPPoE or it won't work in Bridge mode.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

In the settings, are you able to change them to match these, then connect the linksys and install?

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, that is what I am seeing when I am switching over to Bridge mode from PPPoE.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Okay - can you save the bridge mode setting, then connect the linksys and run the setup?

The PPPoE settings will be entered into the Linksys during the setup.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Kevin. Lost the connection with all of the restarts. I went through the process again and again the internet light went out when it set it to bridge mode so I have restarted with the Linksys out of the loop and the westell again set for PPPoE. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

The internet light is supposed to go out - that is an indicator that the modem is set properly. That is when the linkys should be connected, then the installation software ran.

Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does not seem to want to bridge at all. I am going to go ahead and accept the answer. I appreciate your help on this. Thanks very much.

XXXXX XXXXX