Douglas
Douglas, Network Administrator
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional. 10+ yrs experience w/hardware, software, networking, web platforms/blogging, SEO and more.
63416420

I am using Verizon Westell router model A90-750015-07. I get

Customer Question

I am using Verizon Westell router model A90-750015-07. I get to networks and my network comes up full strength with "Remembered, secured with WEP" but cannot connest. I have entered several possible passwords but I cannot connect. How do I connect?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Matthew J replied 2 years ago.

Matthew J :

Good morning, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you. How are you doing today?

Matthew J :

Just type your reply into the chat window when you are ready

Customer:

Frustrated!

Customer:

Are you still there/

Matthew J :

Hello, yes I am here

Matthew J :

Sorry for the delay

Matthew J :

I understand your frustration - the good news is that I can help!

Matthew J :

I think what we need to do is ask the router what the WEP key is so that we are positive you have the right one. How does that sound?

Customer:

Great.

Matthew J :

Super! Are you on a computer which is connecting to the internet through the Westell router you referenced in your question? If so, what type of connection are you using, wired or wireless?

Customer:

The WEP is 996BD262CB

Matthew J :

It doesn't seem to be working though, correct?

Customer:

Wireless

Matthew J :

I'm thinking maybe it is recorded incorrectly?

Matthew J :

Let's just check what the router says and see to be sure.

Matthew J :

Ok?

Customer:

OK

Matthew J :

Can you please right-click on the following link and select open in new tab...

Matthew J :

http://192.168.1.1

Matthew J :

Come back to this tab and let me know what happened. You should get a login box.

Customer:

I got a log in box, entered what I believe to be the info asked for and it did not accept is.

Matthew J :

Enter admin and password

Matthew J :

Let me know if it doesn't let you in

Matthew J :

If so we are "in" the router and just need to navigate to the page that has the WEP key

Customer:

I got the window but cannot enter the information it wants.

Matthew J :

Do you mean the username of admin and password XXXXX password are not working?

Customer:

They worked. I got the window user settings asking for full neme, user name, etc. and It will not let me enter the information

Matthew J :

Don't worry about that - you can just click Cancel

Matthew J :

Let's look at the WEP key

Matthew J :

Click on Wireless Settings at the top of the screen

Matthew J :

Then select Basic Security Settings from the left side of the next screen

Matthew J :

On the resulting screen you will see the WEP key, it should be around the middle to bottom of the screen

Customer:

I clicked cancel several times but the screen kept coming back. What screen are you on?

Matthew J :

It's okay, you can go ahead and set those items. They are just to change the default username and password XXXXX when you logged in to the router you used admin and password.

Matthew J :

It appears that you are being forced to change them, so go ahead and pick whatever you want. Just make sure it's something you write down/ remember

Matthew J :

You'll use it to log back into the router in the future if necessary

Matthew J :

You can keep the username as admin by just typing admin but you have to pick a new password, you can't keep it at password

Customer:

I am now confused. The window I cannot get rid of will not let me enter anything. Do I go back to the right click? If not, where do I enter the information you mentioned.

Matthew J :

Is this the window you can't get rid of?

Customer:

I can get rid of the window by clicking on the X. should I do this?

Matthew J :

Full Size Image

Customer:

That is the window I cannot enter information.

Matthew J :

Put your mouse pointer on the blank field next to User Name and click on it. You should be able to type in that and the password XXXXX The Full Name field you CAN'T change.

Customer:

It will not allow meto enter information.

Matthew J :

Can you click on the Wireless Settings icon on the top of that screen?

Customer:

Yes. I have done that.

Matthew J :

Does the screen change?

Customer:

No.

Matthew J :

I don't know why your router isn't responding. I'm going to have to opt out of the question and open it for other experts. It is possible one of them has run into this before. It's also possible the router is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced.

Matthew J :

Either way I'm not able to help any further.

Matthew J :

My apologies. I'm opting out and another expert will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Douglas replied 2 years ago.
First, try unplugging all cables from the router and letting it sit for 5 minutes. While you're waiting, make sure your PC is spyware free by following these steps:

- Download winsockfix from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml. Do not run this yet.
- Download MalwareByte's AntiMalware from www.download.com. Update and run quick scan.
- Download Spybot Search & Destroy from www.safernetworking.org. Update, run quick scan, then apply immunization.
- Restart your PC.
- run winsockfix
- You may delete the EXE's

Then, plug the router back in and wait for 2 minutes, then restart your computer. Then, try changing the default password XXXXX the router, and accessing the wireless security setting to ensure you're enteing the correct WEP key. Let me know if you get stuck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I no longer have the time. I will work on your answer later and get back (Hopefully since I am not an expert and may loose you.) Just a note: the router is working on all other accounts. If it wasn't working I would not be talking to you.
Expert:  Douglas replied 2 years ago.
Ah, if you can log in and make a password XXXXX from another machine, that would be helpful, and leads me to suspect there is spyware on the machine in question. Log into your router from another machine and change the password, check the wep settings from the chat instructions posted above, and download the antispyware software programs. Copy the programs via internal network or USB thumb drive, and follow the instructions.

Good luck!
Douglas, Network Administrator
Experience: Microsoft Certified Professional. 10+ yrs experience w/hardware, software, networking, web platforms/blogging, SEO and more.