Ansh P.
Ansh P., Network Administrator
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer and Network Security Specialist
14055801

SBCGLOBAL email worked continually through outlook for years.

Customer Question

SBCGLOBAL email worked continually through outlook for years. Now the login is rejected. No settings have been changed. Outlook continually shows the popup "enter network password" After doing a repair of the account. Same problem comes up
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

I am Tech Specialist and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Do you know how to reset your email account's password?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I have already tried to reset the password. If I go to Yahoo directly on the web, the login informatiuon works, The password is not an issue. If outlook tries to log in to the same account. it is rejected. The popup, within Outlook, enter network password comes up continually. This is a problem on two seperate computers. Both computers have the same issue. Both are using Outl;ook. One uses outlook 2010 and the other uses outlook 2007.

Both computers are using windows 7
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it seems like your password in outlook registry is corrupt.

Fixing it is simple:

Change your password using webmail, once done, key in the new password in outlook and it will work fine. If not get back to me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We need more information on this. Both computers show the same error message. The message "enter network password" comes up when trying to "repair" acount in Outlook. I just reset the laptop and it worked normally. Using the same cettings on the Office machine....the popup "enter network password" comes up when trying to test the account settings. This is with using the same procedures as on the laptop. This problem is going on and for some time, the settings worked normally. In the past, using the outlook "repair" procedure worked. Now. today, it seems to work on the laptop but not on the office machine.

We need more troubleshooting ideas.

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
I can remotely connect and fix this for a small extra fee(for the remote support) or if you prefer I will give you suggestions to try yourself. Remote will be fast, secure and easy. I will send you an offer if you want remote help, fix is guaranteed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Send me the procedure and i will give it a try. If I can't get it to work, i will try the remote service next.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
First of all login to sbcglobal self care portal and change your account password. Let me know once done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We seem to have a misunderstand. I now have the password and the Outlook system working on one of the two computers. On the one which does not work, Outlook will not log in, I tried to delete and re install the email account. In the installation procedure, at the point where the test message is sent, the error "530 authentication required" comes up. The test message will not send. No errors of this type have ever come up on the laptop, which is loging in normally, now.

The password is reset as you asked, and there still is the problem as shown above.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
Can I check remotely please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It looks like that may be the only way.

Yes, connect remote
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
New developement. After doing the setup again, for the email account in Outlook, the office machine responded with a success. Right now, both computers are working as they should. Outlook is holding the information to log in correctly. At this point, we have normal systems. Until the problem comes up again, how can we do anything?

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
It's because you reset the password. I told you earlier. It has nothing to do with the webmail password. The password registry in your computer got corrupt, which when you change to a new one will make it fine as it will create another entry.

It will not appear again, please press the accept answer button to pay me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am still not understanding your answer. Your last message says "it has nothing to do with the web mail password".

So, where was the problem? The outlook program is presently working on both machines. I did a complete removal of the account on the office machine and reinstalled the same email account on it. It now works. On the laptop, I did not reset anything and it now works. Both machines were giving the error about remembering the password. Right now that error is not showing. I have had this happen before, where the "repair" function within Outlook would restore the email password and it would work for a time. Then, the problem came back. To see if this is still a problem, I believe we need to wait at least for a day to prove out the fix.
The SBC password was not changed and the system began to work. What changed?
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
You told earlier "The password is reset as you asked, and there still is the problem as shown above."

This cured the issue. Problem was the outlook password registry, which was corrupt. When you reset your password using webmail and re enter the new password into outlook, the registry is refreshed. Make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i don't think your troubleshooting is complete. The problem came back on both computers, with a slight diference. The machines pop up the "enter network password" frequently. This is only showing up for the SBCGLOBAL account, (provided through ATT). The second account, GMAIL, has never had the problem.

After doing a "repair" in Outlook for the account, the problem goes away for a while. Then it comes back. This is on two seperate machines. One machine is using outlook 2007 and the second machine is using Outlook 2010. Re-booting has had no effect. Going to Yahoo and loging in from the web always works. The password is not at issue. The problem looks like it is only within outlook. What is very strange is that it is on two independent machines.

Ideas?
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
I have the solution to this problem, but you have to promise that before asking any questions you will first follow the suggestions given by me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
let's try it.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
call this number 1-877-722-3755 > say email and when you get to a tech on phone, tell them to change/reset your password.

Let me know once done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I just finished with the ATT group. They had me:
delete enties shown below "Outlook" using regedit. Then reconfigure the Outlook settings in the send recieve to require SSL and send with 995 receive to 465. These are changed numbers. The tests all worded.
However, after all tests were successful.... the office machine has just shown the pop up... "enter network password". I can't say that this fix was totally successful.

I guess i need to wait and see if the problem comes back.

Van
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
Van, have you deleted the registry from Office machine as well? If not, do it. Should work fine. I just requested you to change the password by calling them, which you promised me you will do. Why you did the above without notifying me? I don't think this will work this way.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I made the changes on bioth machines as asked by the ATT tech. I asked only to reset the password. They wanted to know why. that started the exchange and the work they requested. I still ame not sure that this is a final fix. we need more time to prove out the fix.

Van
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
Sure, take your time. Did they changed the password?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They did not change the password. They said that it worked and was not the problem.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I can't guarantee a fix in that case.