Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

How do I retrieve or determine a pass word to a Wi-Fi Network?

How do I retrieve or determine a pass word to a Wi-Fi Network? I'm trying to set up my new Kindle Fire.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.

Claws224 :

do you just have the 2wire modem or do you also have a wireless router?

Customer:

I have a 2 wire modem - not sure about the router. I can use my lap-top in a different room from my desk-top.

Claws224 :

Ok,

if you look at the 2 wire is that the only device or do you have another unit connected to it such as a linksys, netgear, belkin or something like that

Customer:

Don't think so. How would I tell?

Claws224 :

Ok,

that is fine

Claws224 :

On the underside of the 2 wire you should have a label like this

Claws224 :

Full Size Image

Claws224 :

Can you locate it and let me know if you can then see the wireless key like is in the example I posted

Customer:

I don't think so - it's a Gateway2Wire - if that helps

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Can you tell me what it says on the label on the underside of it?

Customer:

Yes there is

Claws224 :

there is a code?

Claws224 :

is that what you mean?

Customer:

The numbers are: 4200-001047-008

Claws224 :

Ok that is below the barcode

Claws224 :

there should be a number above the barcode which is the one we need

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ok ... XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Claws224 :

Ok,

can you click start then control panel and then select network connections

Claws224 :

from there can you double click your wireless network adapter and you should then see a list of wireless networks

Claws224 :

in the list you should see one called 2Wire

Claws224 :

can you select that and hit connect then let me know if you can type the code you just wrote down and connect to the wireless

Claws224 :

If so can you then go to your Kindle and let me know if you can then select the 2wire network and connect to your wireless

Customer:

I HAVE AS FOLLOWS: GAIL123 2WIRE522 2WIRE630 2WIRE888 ....... I TRIED EACH ONE

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

and none connected with the code you had from the bottom of your modem, is that correct?

Customer:

CORRECT

Claws224 :

If so can you tell me what else it shows on the label on the underside of the 2wire

Customer:

TO THE UPPER RIGHT OF THE BAR CODE IS AN ADDITIONAL NUMBER ...... 2701HG-B

Claws224 :

ok does anything say 2wire then some numbers?

Claws224 :

If not do you have a machine that is connected wirelessly to the modem or is the Kindle the first device?

Customer:

THERE IS A SN NUMBER AT THE VERY TOP

Claws224 :

Ok, Usually it says 2wire then some numbers so we can tell the wireless network name

Claws224 :

that way we know which you need to choose to conenct to

Claws224 :

Can you tell me who setup the wireless for you?

Claws224 :

was it your internet company or someone else?

Customer:

SOMEONE ELSE. i PERIODICALLY HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH MY OTHER KINDLE

Claws224 :

Ok,

I wonder if the basic settings were changed by whoever set it up, So can you tell me if you have a computer that can connect to your wireless using the wireless connection?

Customer:

YES

Claws224 :

Ok,

On the wireless computer can you download and run a free program called Wireless Key view from here http://download.cnet.com/WirelessKeyView/3000-2092_4-10614187.html

Once it is saved to your desktop can you double click the file and it will open so you can see the contents, Once you see them you will see a program called wirelesskeyview, If you could double click it so that it runs and let me know if it shows you a Hex or ASCII password?

Thanks

Claws224 :

You want to click the green button marked download now Cnet secure download

Claws224 :

on the left hand side

Claws224 :

dont click anything else

Customer:

i JUST OPENED MY LAPTOP iT STATES THE SIGNAL IS EXCELLENT TO GAIL123 . i'M WORKING ON THE OTHER

Claws224 :

Ok,

so Gail is the one you need to connect to, now all we need is the ascii password XXXXX it is listed

Customer:

i'M HAVING PROBLEMS LOGGING IN

Claws224 :

Logging in?

Claws224 :

Did you download the program by clicking the green download now Cnet secure download and then save the file to your desktop?

Customer:

i STARTED THE DOWNLOAD ... IT'S TAKING A LONG TIME ????

Claws224 :

Strange, it is not that big a program

Claws224 :

Let me know when it is done

Customer:

iT DIDN'T ASK WHERE TO SAVE IT ???/

Claws224 :

Ok

Claws224 :

maybe it will open when finished

Claws224 :

Just let me know what happens, weather it says finished or if it opens

Customer:

STILL DOWNLOADING

Claws224 :

Ok

Customer:

What do I do now? - it's still downloading...

Claws224 :

Ok, you can cancel and start again or just wait another couple of minutes and see if it will finish the download

Customer:

I don't see a cancel button

Claws224 :

Ok,

could you use internet explorer instead of firefox and see if you can then download it and choose the location

Customer:

I downloaded ... couldn't open because a sign said it's corrupted

Claws224 :

Hmmmm

Claws224 :

well there is one more thing to try, however I am not sure this will work

Claws224 :

can you go to http://gateway.2wire.net/ and then go to the Home Network tab and click on Wireless Settings

Claws224 :

Can you get that far?

Customer:

yes

Claws224 :

great

Claws224 :

Under wireless settings can you tell me if you see a password, passphrase, wireless key or a preshared key listed?

Customer:

no

Claws224 :

Ok, can you tell me what you see under wireless settings?

Customer:

it seems to be a commercial site.... I selected wireless gateways ... doesn't seem to be what we need

Claws224 :

can you try this link and let me know what you get, http://192.168.1.254

Customer:

I remember when the 2wire was set up that one of the sequence of numbers was the pass word ... why won't this work now?

Claws224 :

I am not sure, however as the network was changed from 2wire to a custom name I am wondering if the password XXXXX also changed

Claws224 :

the code you pulled from the label should have been correct, But if it was changed we have only so many ways to find it

Customer:

I finally got onto the last website and am following the instructions

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Let me know if you get stuck

Customer:

the kindle still won't connect to WiFi

Claws224 :

Ok,

can you tell me what you found for the security and password/passphrase on the 2wire screen

Customer:

mollydog (old) mandycat (new)

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

So if you select your network name on the Kindle then enter mandycat it will not connect, Is that correct?

Claws224 :

If so can you go back to the wireless settings and let me know what is chosen as the security type

Customer:

secured with WEP (per kindle ... GAIL123

Claws224 :

Ok, Can you change the security type to WPA2-Aes and then set a new password XXXXX save your changes then let me know if the Kindle will then connect

Customer:

still unable to connect

Customer:

I'm confused ...... where do you enter WPA2 etc.?

Claws224 :

Ok,

at the http://192.168.1.254 page under wireless settings

Customer:

don't see that option

Claws224 :

Ok, where it now says WEP can you select that box and change the setting to WPA2

Customer:

having problems getting on internet explor . with my laptop

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

Did you change anything when that happened?

Customer:

Can this be resumed tomorrow - will the history of communication be saved?

Claws224 :

Yes, the entire chat is saved and you can continue any time you wish, all you do is click the link you should have been emailed and it will bring you back here so we can continue, when you come back just post back in here and the system will let me know so I can respond

Customer:

Thank you ... gh

Claws224 :

Gnite, speak to you tomorrow

Customer:

I figured it out ...... the password XXXXX to have 10 letters - I changed it to "mymollydog" & it worked

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft