RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies

Ive successfully wirelessly connected to the network generated

Customer Question

Ive successfully wirelessly connected to the network generated by my new E1550 and am able to connect to the internet via the router connected to cable modem. I have a mac running snow leopard. My wife has a PC running Vista. She can access the internet via
cable to the router but not wirelessly. She has a wireless card. My daughter can access the network and the internet using windows 7.
When my wife tries to access the internet via internet explorer she is unable to do so.
Network diagnostics suggests rebooting the router, but that doesn't help.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Kevin :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXX I will be assisting you today.

Kevin :

Are you currently online?

Customer :

yes

Kevin :

Great - on your wife's computer, click the Wireless icon in the bottom right corner of the desktop - does a list of networks appear?

Customer :

Only the linksys network -(unidentified) TalShark curently connected to

Kevin :

Which one is yours?

Kevin :

linksys?

Customer :

I have the mac running snow leopard and am connected to TallShark

Kevin :

When you set up the E1550, was TallShark the name of the network you made?

Customer :

TallShark is the name that came with the E1550. I did not change it. I should say that We were using

Kevin :

Okay, thank you. Your router has a guest network and a primary network. My thought is TallShark is the guest, linksys is the default that has not been modified. Let's get that working. Click this link to log into the router settings: http://192.168.1.1

A login prompt will appear - leave the username box blank - the password XX admin.

Are you able to log into the router settings?

Customer :

No

Kevin :

Does the login screen appear?

Customer :

Yes

Kevin :

Does your network require a password XX connect to it?

Customer :

No

Customer :

Yes

Kevin :

Try once more - leave the username blank - use your wireless password XXX the password.

Customer :

Yes

Kevin :

You were able to log in?

Customer :

Yes

Kevin :

Perfect - click Wireless Settings at the top of the menu - change the Configuration Mode to Manual, then click Apply - can you let me know when that is done?

Customer :

Done

Kevin :

Great - click Wireless Security, just below Wireless from the menu.

Kevin :

What is the security option/mode you have listed?

Customer :

WPA2/WPA mixed mode

Kevin :

That is good - there is a box labeled PreShared Key or Passphrase - that is your wireless password, isn't it?

Customer :

yes

Kevin :

Great - click Wireless once more. Does the Network Name (SSID) say linksys?

Customer :

nothing happens when I click wireless

Kevin :

My mistake - click Basic Wireless Settings, to the left of Wireless Security.

Kevin :

Does the Network Name say linksys?

Customer :

network name says TallShark

Kevin :

Rename the network to something different - anything is fine, then save the settings. If you are on a wireless connection, reconnect to your new network name, then enter your password XXXX prompted.

On the Vista pc, click the Wireless icon, then the new network name, then the Connect button - you should be prompted for your password - enter it to connect.

Are you able to get online with the Vista pc now?

Customer :

She was not prompted for a passord; instead press the config button on your access point before continuing

Kevin :

You can try connecting that way - the configuration button is the blue button located on the back of the E1550.

Customer :

Eventually they asked for a password. She entered it. She is now connected to the network but still can't get on the internet

Kevin :

Okay - that is progress. On the Vista computer, open Internet Explorer. Click Tools in the top right corner, then Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab, then the Reset button. Close all Internet Explorer windows, then open it again.

Online yet?

Customer :

No.

Kevin :

On the Vista computer:

Click Start>>All Programs>>Accessories then right click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator."

In the new text window, type this command, then hit enter - this command must be typed exactly as seen, including spaces:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Type exit then hit enter.

Restart your computer - are you now able to get online?

Customer :

done

Kevin :

Are you now able to get online?

Customer :

slow reboot

Kevin :

No problem :)

Customer :

Unsuccessful with internet explorer. Also she has to key in the password XXXXX time to get into the network

Kevin :

Use this link of instructions to set up the connection manually: http://www.watchingthenet.com/windows-vista-tip-how-to-setup-and-connect-to-a-wireless-network.html

When you get to the screen that asks for security settings, use these:

Network Name: enter the name you made - this is case sensitive
Security Type: WPA2-Personal WPA2 with a preshared key
Encryption Type: AES
Security Key: enter your password

Click the Automatically Connect checkbox.

Customer :

On my computer or hers?

Kevin :

Hers...

Customer :

We're not getting anywhere. We would like to talk to you if possible

Kevin :

JustAnswer does not have a phone support option - they use chat and email for the privacy of their clients.

Kevin :

Can you tell me the brand and model number of the Vista computer?

Customer :

Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757

Kevin :

Is the wireless card a built in card or third party device?

Customer :

where can I find a list of the hardwire in her computer? There's a sticker that says Atheros

Kevin :

Atheros is it - I am going to need to step away for a bit and am forwarding this to another expert to continue....

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 2 years ago.

The problem is that a vista computer can access the router wirelessly but can not get the internet when it is connected?

On that computer

go to the network connections page

There should be 2 network connections one will say LAN the other will say wireless

DISABLE the LAN connection

many computers default to the LAN or ethernet cable connection. As long as it is active the computer will try to get to the internet through it even if it has no connection and the wireless does.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is the network connections page
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 2 years ago.

they hide it in vista. You can get there eventually through the control panel but

the easiest way to get there is

in the start menu search box

type

ncpa.cpl

then hit enter

it will pop right up

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I disabled WLAN and enabled wireless - no luck connecting with internet