Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I have just hooked up a Motorola 3360 Modem and cannot get

Customer Question

I have just hooked up a Motorola 3360 Modem and cannot get to the internet thru my Netgear WGR614 v4 to install the wireless router in the system. Followed the directions/sequence and get all the green lights on the router. What should I do now? (Currently hardwired to modem)
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Please reset the router: connect the modem, computer ,and power adapter to the router, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes, then check Internet.

If that does not work:

With the modem connected straight to the computer, can you click on Start, and type cmd and press Enter, then type ipconfig and press Enter, then tell me the Default gateway?

Was the router working previously with the old modem?

Who is your Internet service provider?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

default gateway is 192.168.1.254. the router was working w/old modem. I have ATT high speed dsl service. Tried the reset above, It did get me to the NETGEAR set up wizard but there still was no connection to the internet despite all green indicators on modem, all green indicators on router and the input from router to computer is lit. Set up wizard would not continue. BTW I have the computers WLAN disabled while doing this based on dupport I got from ATT to config modem

First, please make sure that you know your att email address and password. You can confirm by going to www.att.net, then click on Mail and login.

Then with the modem connected straight to the computer, please go to http://192.168.1.254 , and bridge the modem with the steps from
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401538#fbid=YbPvVnDo9fz
(you can select the model Motorola/Netopia 3347 and/or another motorola model.

Then connect the modem and computer to the router, then go to http://192.168.0.1 and login with:
  • Username = admin
  • Password = password

Then during the Internet setup, select the PPPoE connection type and enter your att email address and password.

You can see the full details at
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401764&cv=801&br=BR&ct=9000127&pv=3&title=How+do+I+connect+a+third+party+router+to+my+AT%26T+Internet+connection+%28Linksys%2C+Belkin%2C+etc.%29%3F#fbid=YbPvVnDo9fz

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Changing these settings may interfere with your ability to connect to the Internet.
PPP is on the modem. This is the normal mode for this modem. The PPP session is initiated from the modem.
PPP is on the computer, gateway or router. This should only be used if you need to run a PPPoE client on your PC or you use another device (e.g., gateway or router) to initiate a PPPoE session. This is often referred to as "Bridged" mode.
There is nothing similar to the directions provided in your referenced sites when I log into my modem.. This is the only screen that references bridging. Should I change from PPP is on the modem to PPP is on the router?
Yes, please select PPP is on the computer, gateway or router radio button, then save. (Note the current setting, so you can change it back if needed.)

Then wait a few minutes and connect the router and please continue the next steps. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Went elsewhere for solution. Needed to talk w/ a tech rep. Procured new modem and am back on line. There was no way we were gloing to get this solved thru e-mails. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. You could always contact me with any step you are stuck at. OK, if you have any other computer question/issue, please let me know. Thank you.