Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

IP address keeps dropping - I am running XP with LAN (but exactly

IP address keeps dropping - I am running XP with LAN (but exactly the same thing happens with Wireless) and a 2 year old Draytech router. This issue only happens in the office - the laptop connects fine at home.

Essentially the internet goes down but XP tells me there is no problem with the connection.
I have tried switching to a static IP address - the same thing happens.

The frequency of this is random, last week it happened about once a day, at the moment it is happening constantly and often I am unable to get back online because the router fails to assign an IP address.

Any ideas? Am getting to worringly high blood pressure levels

cheers

Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Thank you for the information.

This sounds like the typical case of a faulted router. One solution is to reset and reconfigure the router. If that does not fix the problem, the next step is to replace the router.

When wireless routers fail like this it is normally around 18 to 24 months old.

You may click the green I'm Satisfied button on the bottom right of your screen now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, please bookmark the following website. You can ask any future questions directly to me and I will be the expert assigned to your case: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jason,

Thanks for your answer. I'm not connecting with wireless, I'm using a LAN - we have two PCs connected to the router and the other PC has no issues.

cheers

Thank you for the update.

In the question, you stated that the problem exists both wireless and when plugged in with a cable.

Is the problem ONLY with one specific computer?

When the problem occurs, what error message are you given and how do you fix the problem?

.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes - the problem is only with my laptop - for the record, my laptop works fine in other locations.

error messages - well the first I know the connection has dropped is when I get the Unavailiable Page on Firefox. If I am running wirelessley then this can be someties fixed by right clicking the icon in the task bar and clicking 'repair'. If I am runing with the LAN this sometimes works - however, occasionally it doesn't and the laptop hunts in vain for an IP address. When this happens the only option is to disable and renable the LAN which sometimes fixes the issue.

I have tried to allocate a static IP to prevent this happening but the problem repeats itself.

Hope this helps clarify,

Thank you for the update, Richard.

May I please, remote into your computer so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, of course - what do you need me to do from my end?

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=06ad71db-7f0a-4510-8102-d9e5157a0d2d&SUPPORT=NET

Thank you,
- Jason

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh dear, the problem is back again - any ideas?

Please, follow the instructions below:
- Click Start Button
- Click Run
- Type: CMD
- Hit Enter
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ipconfig
- Press Enter
- What is shown for the IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway?
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ping 4.2.2.3
- What does it say, replies or request timed outs?
- In the blackbox, type the following and press Enter: ping red.com
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IP address - 192.168.13.13
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.13.0 (.0!!! - odd, we changed that)

Both Pings are working ok, sending back decent replies

Ok, that means that it is connected to the network.

Please, follow the uinstructions below:
- Open Internet Explorer
- In the top menu bar of Internet Explorer, click TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS
- Click the Connections tab
- Choose the NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION option if you can
- Click the Lan Settings button
- Uncheck everything there
- Click Ok > Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm running Firefox 7

Ok.

Please, follow those instructions.

It does not matter which browser you use normally. Please, complete the instructions with Internet Explorer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok - that is done - takes an eon for my IE to funciotn hence the delay

Thank you for the update.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll kick on with that and see what happens - cheers again

Thank you again.