Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience:  Cisco and Microsoft certified with over 20 years experience in system design, integration and development
13852270
Networking

Hello. I just purchased a Belkin Dual-Band Wireless Range

Hello. I just purchased... Show More
Hello. I just purchased a Belkin Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender. I connected it to power and connected the ethernet cable but when I try to go to http://Belkin.range, it says it can't be found.
Category: Networking
replied 5 years ago.

My name is David.

Click Start then Run and type

cmd

in the Run box and press Enter. Then type

ipconfig /release

on the command line and press Enter. Then type

ipconfig /renew

on the command line and press Enter. Then try again to connect to the Belkin range extender.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I did the ipconfig /release and /renew but still doesn't find http://Belkin.range
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 5 years ago.
Ok then next click Start then Run and type

ncpa.cpl

in the Run box and press Enter. Then right click on the Local Area Network connection icon and click Properties. Then double click on the TCP/IP version 4 protocol listing. Click the Obtain an IP address automatically and also click the Obtain DNS Server IP address automatically radio buttons and click Apply then Ok and then try to connect to the extender again.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I get the same result.

In my network connections i have 5 listed.
SonicWALL Virtual Adapter: Disabled: SonicWALL VPN Adapter
Local Area Connection 5: Disabled: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gig..
Local Area Connection: Network Cable unplugged: Bluetooth Personal Area Network
1394 Connection 2: Connected: 1394 Net Adapter
Wireless Network Connection: Connected: Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.1..

Oh ok. Right click on the Local Area Connection 5 and click Enable and then try again to connect to the extender.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
It says Connection Failed!
Ok then if the Local Area Connect is now enabled and connected to the extender, reboot the extender. Then on the command line type

ipconfig /all

and press Enter and let me know the IP address and Subnet Mask listed for the Local Area Network Connection 5. If the IP address does not start with 169.254 then try again to connect to the extender.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
The Local Area Connection is not enabled. When I try to enable it it says "connection failed!"
Ok then click Start then Run and type

devmgmt.msc

and press Enter. Find the Broadcom adapter under the Network Adapters section and right click on the Broadcom adapter device and click Uninstall. Then reboot the computer and then let Windows reinstall the driver. Then try again to connect to the extender.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
We are getting further now.... I can connect to the extender but I still cant get to the internet using the extender network
Ok then on the command line type

tracert www.google.com

and press Enter and let me know the IP addresses displayed in each line of the command line output.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
1 1ms 1ms 1ms 10.0.0.1
2 38ms 29ms 29ms c-71-202-128-1.hsdl.ca.comcast.net [71.202.128.1]
3 14ms 11ms 11ms te-1-1-ur10.sanjose.sfba.comcast.net [68.85.1.90.213]
4 733ms 11ms 11ms te-1-1-0-4-ar01.oakland.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.85.155.54]
5 1108ms 34ms 30ms pos-2-1-0-0-cr01.sacramento.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.90l.141]
6 17ms 15ms 14ms pos-0-3-0-0-cr01.sanjose.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.87.178]
8 16ms 16ms 19ms 66.208.228.226
9 18ms 19ms 16ms 72.14.232.136
10 27ms 19ms 19ms 64.233.174.119
11 23ms 15ms 17ms nuq04s09-in-f17.1e100.net [74.125.224.145]
Ok very good. That test shows you can access the Internet. It appears to be a DNS or Proxy issue.

So next open Internet Explorer and click Tools, Internet Options, then click the Connections tab and click LAN Settings and clear all of the check boxes and click OK. Restart Internet Explorer and try accessing a web site on the Internet.

If the above does not work then click Start, Run and type

ncpa.cpl

in the Run box and press Enter. Then right click on the Local Area Connection icon and click Properties. Then double click on the TCP/IP version 4 protocol in the list. Then click the Use the Following DNS Server Addresses and type

8.8.8.8

and

208.67.222.222

for the two DNS addresses and click Apply then OK then OK again.

Then try to access a Web site in Internet Explorer.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I cleared all check boxes in LAN Settings but that did not work.

I also double clicked the TCP/IP Protocol and changed the DNS server addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 208.67.222.222

Since I'm not connected by ethernet cable, do I need to do anything to the Wireless Network Connection?
Yes, perform the same DNS changes to the wireless network connection and then after saving the new settings try accessing a Web site through wireless.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Also since I uninstalled the Local Area Connection 5, I only have 4 listed. I think you mentioned that Windows would reinstall this automatically. I don't see it. So when you told me to change the Local Area Network settings, I changed the 2nd one below which says Bluetooth Personal Area Network. Currently listed in the LAN or High Speed Internet section of the Network Connections dialog box are:

SonicWALL Virtual Adapter: Network Cable unpugged: SonicWALL VPN Adapter
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I completed the DNS changes to the wireless network connection but still cannot access the internet.
Ok then while connected to the wireless network click Start, then Run and type

cmd

in the Run box and press Enter. Then on the command line type

ipconfig /flushdns

and press Enter. Then type

net stop dnscache

and press Enter and try to connect to a Web site.

Then if not working type

net start dnscache

Then open Device Manager again and right click your computer name or "Computer" at the top of the device list and click Scan for Hardware Changes and let it install any hardware found which should include the missing Local Area Connection adapter.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
It is still not working... I clicked accept answer by mistake
Ok then let's continue.

Connect through wireless to the range extender and on the command line do the following:

tracert www.google.com

and press Enter and let me know the output.

Then type

ping 74.125.224.113

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Unable to resolve target system name www.google.com

Pinging 74.125.224.113 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.125.224.113:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss).
Ok so when it did work that must have been with the Ethernet adapter connected.

Next type

ipconfig /all

and press Enter and let me know the output (run the command while connected to the extender wireless)
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I was never able to access the internet using the Range Extender.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: Rick-Laptop
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: hsdl.ca.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: hsdl.ca.comcast.net.
Description: Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address: 00-1F-E1-46-97-C9
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 10.0.0.8
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server: 8.8.8.8
208.67.222.222
Lease Obtained Monday, October 31, 2011 8:24:09pm
Lease Expires: Monday, November 07, 2011 8:24:09 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Media State: Media disconnected
Description: Bluetooth Personal Area Network
Physical Address: 00-1E-37-F2-A0

Ethernet adapter Local Area Network 6:

Media State: Media disconnected
Description: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Physical Address: 00-1C-23-0C-56-3A

Ok so it appears that you are able to successfully connect to the wireless network through the extender and are receiving a valid IP address. So next if you have another Windows computer on the network, open the command line and type

ipconfig /all

and press Enter and note the IP address of the computer. Then go back to the computer that is connected to the wireless network through the extender and open a command line and type

ping x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the other computer on the network and let me know if four replies are received and also let me know the IP address of the other computer.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I don't have another computer here at this time so I used my computer connected to the wireless router and executed the ipconfig /all
The IP address is 10.0.0.8

I then connected to the range extender and executed the
ping 10.0.0.8

I got 4 replies.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Ok then with the computer connected to the wireless network and not the range extender issue the ipconfig /all command and let me know the IP address, subnet mask and gateway IP address and DNS IP address listed.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
IP Address: 10.0.0.8
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8
208.67.222.222
Ok thank you.

So does the ipconfig /all command line output say that DHCP is enabled on this computer?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Dhcp Enabled: Yes (Connected to either Wireless Router or Extender)
Ok then that means that DHCP from the primary wireless network is working through the extender. So next connect to the extender and type

tracert 74.124.224.144

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Traceing route to 74.124.224.144 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out
3 * * * Request timed out
4 * * * Request timed out
5 * * * Request timed out
6 * * * Request timed out
7 * * * Request timed out
8 * * * Request timed out
9 * * * Request timed out
10 * * * Request timed out
to
30 * * * Request timed out
Trace complete.
Ok thank you. Next follow the same procedure you used earlier to set the DNS IP addresses and change the 8.8.8.8 address to 10.0.0.1 and save the setting and reboot and then connect to the extender wireless and type

tracert 74.124.224.144

and press Enter and let me know the command line output.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out
3 * * * Request timed out
4 * * * Request timed out
5 * * * Request timed out
6 * * * Request timed out
7 * * * Request timed out
8 * * * Request timed out
9 * * * Request timed out
10 * * * Request timed out
to
30 * * * Request timed out
Trace complete.
Ok thank you. Next type

ping www.google.com

and press Enter while connected through the extender. Then do the same when connected directly to the wireless network.

The reason for these tests is to ascertain whether or not there is a DNS issue because it appears that the extender is connected to the wireless network and that you are getting an IP address from the wireless network through the extender but still not able to access the Internet.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Pinging www.1.google.com [74.125.224.82] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 74.125.224.82: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
Reply from 74.125.224.82: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55
Reply from 74.125.224.82: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 74.125.224.82
Packets sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0 ,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 18ms

When connected to extender:

Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name and try again.
Ok thank you. Next connect to the wireless network (not the extender) and type

tracert 74.124.224.144

and press Enter and let me know the result.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Do you need the complete result? It is very long and I can't cut and paste out of the cmd window.

Tracing route to reverse.144.244.124.74.dynamic.ldmi.com [74.124.224.144] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 43 ms 25 ms 20 ms c-71-202-128-1.hsdl.ca.comcast.net [71.202.128.1]
...
30 109ms 109ms 138ms reverse.10.239.124.74.static.ldmi.com [74.124.239.10]
Ok thank you. It appears that we will have to reconfigure the extender because it not only does not resolve DNS but also does not forward IP traffic. What is the exact model number of the extender?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
It is a Belkin Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender.

Model: F9K1106
Ok thank you. So is the extender status light blue or amber?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
The extender has a steady blue light
Ok good. Next connect a computer directly to the extender using an Ethernet network cable. Then click Start then Run and type

ncpa.cpl

in the Run box and press Enter. Right click on the Local Area Connection and click Properties. Click the TCP/IP version 4 protocol item and click Properties. Click the Use the following IP Address button and enter 192.168.2.100 for the IP address, 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask, 192.168.2.1 for the gateway address and click Ok then Ok again.

Open a web browser and type 192.168.2.1 and press Enter and then click the Feature link and login if you previously set a password, otherwise just click Submit.

Click the 2.4 Ghz wireless connection link and then enter the network SSID, security passphrase and security type for your wireless network. Save the settings and then try connecting to the extender network and then once connected to the extender network, connect to the Internet.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
when I type in 192.168.2.1 it says page cannot be found. There are also no lights on where the ethernet cable plugs in. Also there is no LAN Connection with broadcom adapter listed so I'm clicking on the other Local Area Connection which says Bluetooth Personal Area Network.
Ok so it sounds like the Ethernet adapter on the computer is not working correctly. So follow the same procedure above on the other computer and connect the other computer to the extender just for setup purposes to configure the extender.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I don't have another computer. The last time I used this computer to setup the extender.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
This is so strange. I tried the ncpa.cpl command again and now I see a Local Area Connection 6 which says Broadcom.... I'm going to try it again.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I went upstairs, plugged in the ethernet cable typed ncpa.cpl and now Local Area Connection 6 is gone again... what is going on?????
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I rebooted the computer but Local Area Connection 6 did not reappear.
It sounds like there may be an issue with the Broadcom driver. Click Start then Run and type

devmgmt.msc

in the Run box and press Enter. Then click Action then select to rescan hardware and then click the Network Adapters header and confirm that the Broadcom adapter is listed. Then go to Network Connections and click View then Refresh or close and reopen Network Connections and the Broadcom connection should be listed.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
When I click on action in the Device Manager the only thing listed is help
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
It turns out when I unplugged the AC from the computer to take it upstairs the broadcom adapter was automatically disabled and disappeared. I changed the preference to not deactivate the ethernet when running on battery. I will try connecting it to the extender through the cable again.
Oh ok, thanks for letting me know.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I followed the steps you provided in setting up the 2.4GHz, but I could not get to the internet. As I said before I don't see AES as one of the options so could there be a security problem?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
I looked at the router again and it says encryption WPA-TKIP. I tried WPA and WPA2 which were selections available on the Extender setup and neither of them worked.
I agree that it could be a security mismatch. If you disable security on both and then try and connect - if they connect then security is the problem.

If using WPA-TKIP on the router then the extender should be set for WPA. Then use a password that does not contain any special characters at first just in case those characters are not supported by the extender.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
How would I disable security on the router?
Depending upon the make and model, access the router wireless settings in the adminstration web page of the router, and the wireless security section should be within the wireles settings and is where you can select WEP, WPA or WPA2. In addition to those security settings there is also a "None" option. Select the None option to disable security on the router and save the setting.