Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.

ipad 2 wont connect to d-link dir-655 router

ipad 2 won't connect to d-link dir-655 router
Category: Networking
Expert:  Johnny mac replied 2 years ago.
Hello there! Can you turn off the password/security of your router and see if your ipad connects that way? Make sure to reset the network settings on the ipad before reconnecting to your network.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI

Believe it or not, I don't know how to turn off my router's password/security!

Do I reset it?

Help

To reset your router connect to your wireless network from a computer. Then open a web browser and type in 192.168.0.1. When you go to that address you will be greeted with your routers setup. Here there will be a button on the top that says setup. Click it then choose the option for no security. Apply the changes then the router should restart with no password. One more thing if when you enter your routers setup it asks for a user name and password. Just enter admin as the user name with no password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've reset the router without the password XXXXX the ipad2 is now connecting.

Is there no way to secure the router with a password XXXXX use the ipad2?

Yes i just wanted to make sure that it could connect to that router. Now create a password XXXXX the router make sure it has numbers and letters. Reset the network settings on the ipad. Then try and reconnect. Make sure that when your enter the password XXXXX your network that you dont enter it more then 2 times. The reason being is on the 3rd it will save the password XXXXX its wrong or right.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Johnn

The ipad connects now!

I notice however that even though the router is password-protected, that the connection on the ipad doesn't have a "padlock" beside it. Is the connection still secure?

Yes as long as the your router has a password XXXXX network and connection to your ipad is secure. Sometimes you can get these types of issues which resolve themselves by redoing your network configuration which acts like a cleanup. At any rate i am glad we were able to get your issue resolved :D.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Johnn

I've just discovered a glitch!

I'm willing to pay more than the initial sum reserved to work through it with you.

Have connected the Ipad to the router, I just connected my laptop (a dell Latitude running windows xp). Now the laptop is connected successfully, but the ipad won't connect now!

A padlock has now appeared on the Ipad beside the dlink connection.

Is there anything I can do to have them both connecting to the router?

Thanks

Thats strange it shouldnt have any affect on other devices unless they were using the same ip. Ok lets test this. Turn off any computers you have connected to the wifi then reset your router. Finally reset the network settings on the ipad. After it resets connect again. Then once you have a connection i want you to turn on the pc and from the ipad download a free app. Then tell me if your still lose connection.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

should i try to connect the laptop to the router before trying the download with the ipad?

Ipad first then try the laptop. That way we know if its the laptop for sure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i've downloaded an app on the ipad. the laptop is on but not connected to the network.

What now please?

Alright go ahead and connect the laptop to the network. While your doing this have a web page open on the ipad. Then tell me if it disconnects again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the ipad is connected still but the laptop wont connect. it's trying to set up a network connection and asking for security and username and the like

it says something about me being connected to a network with default SSID name

it didn't update thats ok we can clear it manually. Go to start then run. type in CMD in run then hit enter. Then i want you to type this is in netsh winsock reset catalog then hit enter. Let it work then went its done reset your laptop and try to connect again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Johnn

This is going to drive me crazy!

Tried to connect the laptop and it now won't connect to the d-link, and neither will the IPad now etiher! The padlock is back by the IPad d-link network connection.

It seems that when ever I hook up the laptop, some kind of automatic password/security trips in which messes up the IPad.

I have to go to work now, do I'll continue tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.

Carlos

No problem just post back here when your ready to continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Johnn.

I'm back!

So far I've just:

1. Reset the router, which is now on without securtiy or a password

2. REset network settings on the IPad and its now picking up the router and browsing well

3. Connect the laptop to the router and it's now browsing as well.

So it's obvious that they will both work simultaneously with the router as long it is run without security.

How do I now proceed to try to run them with security if possible? If it can't be done I will just have to forget the IPad running on it, or get a separate router for the IPad (is that possible?!!).

Thanks

Carlos

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Can you tell me the operating system on your laptop please?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin.

Was wondering what happened to John.

Let me revise everything briefly so far (note that I'm at work and don't have any of the computers in question before me, so I'm doing this from memory!):

1. I have a D-link DIR-655 router attached to my PC - a Dell running Windows XP.

2. I have been using my laptop - a Dell Latitude running Windows XP - quite successfully on the router for some time now. Note however, that - I gather this is a quirk with Dell laptops - the wireless connection is not managed by Windows but by some kind of Intel PRO connection that I gather that Dell laptops use to connect.

3. I got an IPad 2 recently and tried to connect to the router but could not. The Ipad recognized the router but no matter how I put in my password XXXXX I used to configure the router, the Ipad keept saying it could not connect to the network.

4. With John's help, I reset the router and ran it without a password XXXXX security (I've been using WPA2 Personal AES or something like that). When I do that, both the laptop and Ipad connect to the wireless network and run simultaneously without a problem.

5. When I then password XXXXX router, however, only the laptop connects. The IPad recognizes the router, but I cannot connect when I put in the router password.

Note that to connect the laptop, I have to create a profile and change the generic name "dlink" to my unique profile name, and put in a WPS PIN number that came with the router. I don't know if this is what's causing the problem for the IPad.

That's it in a nutshell. I don't know what i'm configuring wrong.

Hope that you can help. Note that I won't be able to do anything on the system until this evening/tonight when I reach home.

Thanks

Carlos

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Not sure with John - he opted out, which likely meant he had to step away or was out of ideas. I still have all of the information you and John went through...

Are you familiar with how to log into the router to adjust security settings?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin

I think so. I'll link with you later and try to do whatever you instruct.

Thanks

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Perfect, thank you Carlos.

Log into the router at http://192.168.0.1/

Username Admin, no password.

Click Wireless Settings on the left side of the screen - do not run any of the Setup Wizards. The settings should be changed Manually.

Rename the Wireless Network Name something you have not used in the past. Change the Security Mode to WPA2-PSK (Pre-Shared Key).

A box labeled PreShared Key will appear - this will be your wireless password. Enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters, then save the settings.

Re-connect your wireless devices to your new network name - enter your password XXXXX prompted and your connections will be complete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin

I tried your suggestions. Things didn't look exactly as you described but I got by.

I didnt see an alternative come up under Security Mode for WPA2-PSK. The choices were: None, WEP, WPA-Personal or WPA-Enterprise., so I chose WPA-Personal.

The section under Security Mode was "WPA", with drop down choices of: Auto (WPA or WPA2), WPA2 only or WPA only. I chose WPA2 only.

Under that was a choice for "Cipher Type" with drop down choices of TKIP, AES or TKIP and AES. I chose AES.

I then chose a pre-shared key of 10 combined alphanumeric characters.

Using this pre-shared key as my password, both the IPad and the laptop connected!

right away! Hurrah and thank you!

One last question please. Does the fact that I am using the default user name and password XXXXX log into the router pose a security risk for me?

Carlos

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carlos - you selected the correct options with the security - great job!

About the default password XXXXX it is entirely up to you. The only way anyone can get into it is to connect to your router - that's likely not going to happen. My thought with leaving it at default is it is easy to access online if you forget it.

If you change the router login password XXXXX forget it, the router needs to be reset, removing all of your network settings.

Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience: Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks a lot. all the best