derrickonline
derrickonline, Information Technology Manager
Experience:  15 years experience in the information technology field.
22792886

I just got a Motorola - NVG510 Gateway for my home network

Customer Question

I just got a Motorola - NVG510 Gateway for my home network and I want to connect a Linksys WRT54G to it so I can eventually put a wireless Access point in another room in my house. Is it possible to get the motorola and the lnksys to talk to one another and if so how do I set up the configuration?
Category: Networking
Expert:  derrickonline replied 5 years ago.
I'd be more than happy to assist you.

First off.

1. DO NOT reset the Motorola device. If you have already done so, you'll need to call AT&T (I believe that's your provider) to have them force the settings back to the router remotely.

If you have NOT hit the reset button on the Motorola device good. Let's move to the next step.

I'm not familiar with that device in particular but it's a standard DSL router I assume so here's what you need to do.

First turn off, PC, Motorola, and Linksys devices.

First. On the rear of the Motorola, there should be a port called:
INTERNET or WAN. This is where your AT&T Internet cable connects to your Motorola Device.

Next there should be a port called LAN or PC. Take an ethernet cable and go from the LAN/PC port on your Motorola device, to your port labeled INTERNET OR WAN on your LinkSys router.

Now it should be as simple as turning on your Motorola device. Then wait 5 minutes (since I'm not sure how long it takes to connect and be ready.

Then turn on your LinkSys router, wait 2 minutes.

Then turn on your Computer. If you're going wired from this computer, make sure there's another Ethernet cable going from your computers NIC (network interface card) to your port 1-5 on your Linksys device BEFORE turning the computer on.

If you're attemping to go wireless, then on your computer seek out the best signal and something that indicates you're wireless access point is broadcasting, then connect to that.

I don't know why you would need a wireless access point in another room if you have a WRT54G as that is a wirelss router and should work fine for multiple wireless computers. If your issue is that other room in your house is too far for the Linksys to get signal there, I suggest getting rid of the WR54G and going with a Linksys E4200 which has AWESOME range. I have a 4 level townhouse the WRT54G just couldn't make it happen. The E4200 gives me full signal effortlessly.
Experience: 15 years experience in the information technology field.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay...I bought the Linksys E4200. How do I set it up with my AT&T Motrola gateway
Ok, the first step is to get the wires setup correctly.

The Motorola device should already have power, and I believe and be connected to your wall jack.

You'll need to run an Ethernet cable from any one of the yellow ports on your Motorola to the back of your E4200 into the port that says INTERNET.

Now, we want to configure the wireless portion of the E4200. To do this, you'll first need to connect a computer directly to the E4200 using another Ethernet cable. From your computer run an ethernet cable to any one of the 4 blue ports on the rear of your E4200.

Now do the following (this is sort of a precaution).

Shut off the computer
Turn off the E4200
Turn off the Motorola

Now turn them back on in the following order:

Turn on the Motorola device. Wait 5 minutes
Turn on the E4200. Wait 2 minutes
Turn on the computer that is directly connected to the 4200

Once the computer is booted up, launch your web brower, enter the follwing in the address bar:

http://192.168.1.1

You'll be prompted for a username and password. By default this is "admin" for both (do not use the quotation marks).

Once logged in we'll want to setup our wireless SSID (i.e. the name of the wireless network and the WPA key for security).

At the top, once logged in, click the WIRELESS tab.

Select Manual Setup
Network Mode = Mixed
Channel Width = Auto
Channel = Auto
SSID = Broadcast

Network Name (SSID): Enter a name to identify your wireles network.

Repeat for both wireless sections (5GHz, and 2.4GHz)

After saving changes, go back to the WIRELES tab, then click the WIRELESS SECURITY sub tab.

For Security mode, select the first option WPA2/WPA mixed mode under passphrase select a password you will need to remember to connect to your wireless network.

Repeat below for second section (2.4GHz).

Save changes.

Now you may remove the network cable going from the back of the computer that you have going to port 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the back of the E4200.

I assume you know how to connect to a wireless network using windows, so simply pull up the list of available wireless networks, you should see the one you just created, connect to it, and enter the passphrase you created earlier.

Viola! Let me know how things go.

You can also use the setup disk provided with the E4200 which might by a lot easier I'm simply use to do it the techie way (we don't need no stinkin' setup disks). :) Because we don't typically use them it makes it hard for me to walk you through using it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got it all setup but it still didn't get the range I need. I am trying to us our iPads on our back patio and I need a stronger signal. The two linksys devices were working perfectly before I changed to the unversed system but I can't get them to work noe.
Can you describe your house layout a bit for me? Tell me also where your E4200 is with respect to the layout.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have a 2000 square foot ranch. Our office where our AT&T inverse gateway is in the front of the house and the patio is in the back of the house with the access door through the kitchen. I do not want to run any wires through the house. On my old system I had the Linksys wrt54g connected to the modem and the wap54g at the window in the family room closest to the patio. The access point was set up as a repeater with the Mac address of the router. I've tried using the Mac address for the route and gateway and neither worked. I am getting the Mac address by doing a site survey with the access point.
So we're no further than when we first started? We need to turn the WAP54G into a wireless repeater again.

Here are instructions for doing so. For now disregard the WRT54G, we're going to try to keep the E4200 in place and add the WAP54G in repeater mode.

Please see link below.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=5c7c2256bbcd4a04ae048a2d80088938_4200.xml
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started on the ap mode screen that it won't work with any other Linksys except the wrt54g or another Linksys access point
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What Range expander would work best with the Linksys E4200. I am thinking I can set up the E4200 and then use an expander that will work with it to expand the wireless to the back patio.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 5 years ago.

Any range extender will work, but here is a LInksys model range extender you can use as it's also a Linksys brand, it's more compatible and easier to install:
Linksys Wireless-N Range Extender RE1000 - Wireless network extender

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=linksys+re1000&hl=en&prmd=imvn s&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1848&bih=943&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2278141136085058811&sa=X&ei=DB8rT8-pNqmGiQKgg5C0Cg&ved=0CHgQ8wIwAA

Thank you.