Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.

at&t internet my netgear will not work why

Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

The catch to this is both the router and the modem use the same network address - The way to get the router working is to manually change the network of the router. Here is how to do it:

Power off the computer and disconnect the modem. The only connection you will want is between the computer and the Netgear router via one of the numbered ports on the Netgear. Press and hold the reset button on the back for 15 seconds, then release. Wait 60 seconds, then power on the computer.

Your router is now reset - open your browser and enter this address:

A login screen will appear

Username: admin

Password: password

Let's set up the wireless network first:

Click Wireless Settings. Change your Network Name (SSID) to something unique - there can't be any spaces in the name. Make this a unique name without any spaces - anything that you haven't used in the past.

Change the Security Mode to WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) and enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters in the pre-shared key/passphrase box. Any of the WPA options will work. Save the settings.

Click LAN Setup under Advanced. Change the IP address to, then save and exit the router.

Power off the router and computer and reconnect the modem.

Power on the Netgear - wait 60 seconds

Power on the computer

You are done at this point and ready to connect wirelessly to the router. If you have any questions how to do this, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if my phone trys to connect to andrewgreer pc .Is that telling me my router is working ? My laptop is asking for security key
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.

The security key is the one you made during the setup - the secuirty key is also called the PreShared key or Passphrase. You can log back into the router to get it:

Open your browser and enter this address:

A login screen will appear

Username: admin

Password: password

Click Wireless Settings - the PreShared Key/Passphrase box contains your Security Key.