Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Experience:  Certified MCSA and MCP Network Administrator with over 20 years of PC experience.

My Dell computer wont connect to my Linksys wireless router.

Customer Question

My Dell computer won't connect to my Linksys wireless router. It will connect sometimes (signal strength-Very Good, but never Excellent) but then it will lose the signal. My router is a Linksys BEFW11s4 802.11b 2.4Ghz model. I connect my computer via a Wireless USB Adapter. I have to connect a ethernet cable right now to have internet access. Can you help me?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Are you currently using wireless security/passwords on your wireless network?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but not to connect, it was a randomly generated series of numbers and letters from linksys. I only used it once or twice.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

That is good, thank you.

Use the computer directly connected to the Linksys - click this link:

http://192.168.1.1

A login prompt will appear - here are the login credentials:

username: admin

password: password

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings from the top of the menu. Change the Wireless Channel to 11, then save the settings.

Test the network - any improvement?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it does not see my network router
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me more about what you mean? I don't understand...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed the router to Channel 11, but when I go to view available wireless networks my network is not listed. My USB Adapter does not see the network. I have also done the repair network thing to no avail. Sometime it sees it but it won't connect.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Restart the router, then the computer. Will it recognize it after that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try this now

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did not work!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Whichn part didn't work? Need more information...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I restarted the router then my computer, my network does not come up on the list of available networks, after about 4 or 5 tries it might come up on the list but then my computer won't connect with it. If it does connect (after I repair it) it is only temporary and then it fails. I am connected to you right now by an ethernet cable, it is the only way I can get online with you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Okay - let's fix that:

With power still on to the router, use a pen to press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 15 seconds, then release. Power off the router.

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the router - wait 60 seconds

Power on the pc

You should be back online at this point. Next is the wireless security setup.

Use the computer directly connected to the router and open Internet Explorer. A wireless connection will not work. Enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1/

A login screen will appear - leave the username blank and enter admin for the password. You should now be inside the setup of the router.

Click Wireless at the top of the page.

If you have the option for Configuration Mode or WiFi Protected Setup on this screen, change this to Manual.

Change the Network Name (SSID) to anything you would like, just something unique that you have not used before - this will be the name of your wireless network. It's best to not have any spaces in the network name.

Next, click Wireless Security in the submenu just below Wireless. Change the security mode to WPA-Personal or WPA Pre-Shared Key. You will see a passphrase/pre-shared key box - this is your wireless password. Enter a password XXXXX at least 8 characters, then save the settings.

Your network is now secure and ready for the wireless connection.

You are done with the setup at this point and should be able to connect wirelessly. If you have any questions about how to get the connection working, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It still does not see my network! My router is from 2002, it is a Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b 2.4Ghz Router. There is no Configurration Mode or WiFi Protected Setup or a way to change it to manual. I did change the SSID. There is no Wireless Security tab and no WPA-Personal of WPA Pre-Shared Key. There is a WEP with a enable or disable button. I entered a new password XXXXX a key code. Still nothing! I'm about ready to give up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey! It sees the network but it won't stay connected! The signal strength is "Very Good" but it is slow as molasses. It should be "Excellent." It will not stay connected. Now what? Are you still there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no connection. It sees the network but it won't stay connected. Do you have an answer?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Is there a version number printed on the bottom of the router?

Can you also tell me the brand and model number of your modem please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The router is Version 3. The Modem is a RCA-DCM425.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - click this link, then choose version 3 from the dropdown menu:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/BEFW11S4

There is a download for a firmware update as well as instructions on how to run the update. Upgrade the firmware with the listed steps.

After that is complete, reset the router and set it up this way:

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the router - wait 60 seconds

Power on the pc

http://192.168.1.1/

Change the wireless channel to 1, change the SSID.

Change the WEP setting to Mandatory - enter a password XX the passphrase box, then click Generate. Key 1 is your wireless password. Save the settings.

Try your connection now - any improvement?