Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified.
23822421

How can i tell if my router is working correctly Speed varies

Customer Question

How can i tell if my router is working correctly? Speed varies fro 1 to 54 Mbps. Is it the router, DSL or computer?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am John C., Computer Science Engineer, Ranked #1 Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

How do you know it varies from 1 to 54 mbps ? Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wireless network ikon with netgear
That's the speed from the wireless router to your computer. That's NOT the actual speed from your ISP to your computer.

Does it make sense? In order to check your current and actual internet speed please follow the steps below:

1- Please click here -----> http://www.speedtest.net/

2- Then click "Begin Test". Do not click any other button or ad, as this page is full of ads. Just click the "Begin Test" button. It must say "BEGIN TEST" exactly

3- Let me know the Ping, "Download speed" and "Upload Speed" results
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i've done that. 5000/500 or so
5000 is not possible ;-). If you give me the speed I can tell you if it is working fine or not. Also what speed you should have ? (What internet speed plan do you have?)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
time-warner. their speed registered at 17/0.97
Thank you!. Please remember I do not receive a salary from this company. I am an independent Computer Science Engineer with more than 10 years of experience working with Computer Networks, and now working here. The only way for me to be compensated for my time is when the customer (You) click the Accept button when satisfied. Thank you for your help and understanding.

After you follow my solution, please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

OK, 17mbps/0.97 is great.

So, your router seems to be working perfectly. If it wasn't you wouldn't have this speed.

It is a good idea also to unplug the wireless router and/or internet modem (if you have one) for 5 minutes, then replug it back. You can do this every one or two weeks to renew the IP addresses.

Please let me know if you have any other question. After you follow my solution, please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit / debit / or PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John C.
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified.
I am sorry you didn't get the answer. Please see it below:

OK, 17mbps/0.97 is great.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks john. I'll try your solution. I have to sign off to disconnect the items. they've been running for awhile.
You are very welcome!. Have a great weekend!