Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

How to find access point/network name?

Click the wireless icon on the lower right bar of the screen on Windows 7. You will see a list of networks. Find the network name that has the word "Connected" on the right.

Read full interaction below »

How do I find my Access Point Name/Network Name?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 5 years ago.

That's just the name of your wireless network. What Windows or Mac version do you have on your computer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Windows 7, 64 GB
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that. Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

The Network Name (or Access Point name) is just the name of your wireless network.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Step 6 requires my wireless network name. That's what I asked for in the first place. How do I find it?
Is the computer already connected to your wireless network? If it is, then go to Start, in the search box type Network and Sharing Center and press Enter.

Then in the left pane, click "Manage wireless networks". You should see your wireless network there close to "Connected"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found the "Manage Wireless Networks" Window. It didn't have a "Connected" button or icon. I found the "Adapter" window, and it tells what sort of router we have (D-Link 802.11g), and lists a bunch of gadgets that are connected to it. But no SSID.
Is the computer already connected to your wireless network? Do you have internet via wireless on that computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.