Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

How do I find my Access Point Name/Network Name

How do I find my Access Point Name/Network Name?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer, Ranked #1 Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

That's just the name of your wireless network. What Windows or Mac version do you have on your computer? Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Windows 7, 64 GB
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about that. Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.
The Network Name (or Access Point name) is just the name of your wireless network.

From Windows 7 go to Start, in the search box type Network and Sharing Center and press Enter.

Then in the left pane, click "Manage wireless networks". You should see your wireless network there.

Now, if you need your wireless network password XXXXX well, please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7 connected to internet via wireless and you will see the network key:

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- NOW, make sure you select "View by: LARGE ICONS" on the upper right corner.

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Manage Wireless Networks" on the left

6- Double click your wireless network name

7- Click the "Security" tab

8- Click "Show characters"

9- Now find your password XXXXX to "Network security key". This is your wireless network password. Use this password XXXXX prompted for the network key, wireless password, wireless key, wep key, wpa key, etc, when you try to connect from any wireless computer or device to your wireless network.

10- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

11- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit / debit / or PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Step 6 requires my wireless network name. That's what I asked for in the first place. How do I find it?
Is the computer already connected to your wireless network? If it is, then go to Start, in the search box type Network and Sharing Center and press Enter.

Then in the left pane, click "Manage wireless networks". You should see your wireless network there close to "Connected"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found the "Manage Wireless Networks" Window. It didn't have a "Connected" button or icon. I found the "Adapter" window, and it tells what sort of router we have (D-Link 802.11g), and lists a bunch of gadgets that are connected to it. But no SSID.
Is the computer already connected to your wireless network? Do you have internet via wireless on that computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
OK, click the wireless icon on the lower right bar of the screen on Windows 7. You will see a list of networks. Find the network name that has the word "Connected" on the right.

Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.