ChrisC
ChrisC, PC Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of experience troubleshooting networks.

i went to reset my aspire 5734z-4836 back to factory specs,

Customer Question

i went to reset my aspire 5734z-4836 back to factory specs, 3 options came up, 2nd option was to save files and reset. I choose this one, after 20 minutes of saving files the screen read continue, I did, now I have a screen that reads setup is starting services. This is 2 days now. Please help.
Category: Networking
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.

ChrisC :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXX I'll be happy to help you today. Click Accept only once you are satisfied with the answer.

ChrisC :

Please let me know once you are in the chat. . .

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

hello

ChrisC :

Hi, so quick question for you. . .

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

ok

ChrisC :

Is your computer currently still on the Saving Files screen at this moment?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

no

ChrisC :

Ah, okay. Well what is going on right now?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

it is on setup is starting services, with a box that says windows could not complete the installation

ChrisC :

Sorry, starting services. That's what I meant. And you say it's been there for 2 days?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

yes

ChrisC :

Okay, in that something went wrong and the system has frozen up. There's going to be no way to get out of it other than to hold the power button and shut the machine down.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

ok i am doing this now

ChrisC :

Okay, let me know how it goes.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

it came up to windows error recovery reboot in safe mode, with network, normal

ChrisC :

Hmm, try booting into normal mode, though I suspect it will not work.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

it did not work

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

back to setup is starting services

ChrisC :

Okay, not surprising since Windows is basically half installed at this point.

ChrisC :

You mentioned that you had a Windows 7 CD. Is this the recovery CD provided from the manufacturer?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

no

ChrisC :

Okay, so do you have an original Windows 7 installation disc?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

it is an upgrade cd that i purchessed

ChrisC :

Ahh. . .

ChrisC :

Hmm. . .

ChrisC :

Okay, how are you trying to do the factory restore? Are you using the recovery partition on the machine itself?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

no i went to the menu a pressed to reset to factory settings

ChrisC :

How did you access the menu?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

i believe thru the applications then tools?

ChrisC :

So you tried to do it within Windows?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

yes

ChrisC :

Okay. Do you have recovery discs for the machine? These either would have been supplied by Acer or you would have made them through the recovery application on the machine.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

no, only backup disk

ChrisC :

Okay, give me a few minutes. I want to double-check some things for you.

ChrisC :

Okay, I want you to try something. . .

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

go

ChrisC :

Reboot the machine and, while it's coming up--BEFORE you get to anything about Windows--hold the Alt key and hit the F10 key repeatedly.

ChrisC :

Tell me if this brings you to a recovery menu

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

ok, it comes up to the acer sreen hit f2 for setup

ChrisC :

Did you hit Alt F10?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

yes i did

ChrisC :

Did it do anything?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

now it is on ablack blank screen

ChrisC :

Okay, tell me if it moves off that screen.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

now went to starting windows,then to setup is starting services

ChrisC :

Okay, reboot it and hit F2 to go into setup.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

with a box that says windows could not complete the installation,to install windows on this computer restart the instalation

ChrisC :

Yeah, you've gone too far.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

hit f2 and in setuo now

ChrisC :

Okay, give me a minute, I'm going to see if I can find the manual for your system on Acer's site.

ChrisC :

Okay, you're in setup right now, is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

yes

ChrisC :

Okay, I need you to look through your options and see if you see an option that says Disk to Disk, D2D, or Hard Disk Recovery. If you find it, tell me if it's enabled or disabled.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

d2d recovery

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

and that is enabled

ChrisC :

Okay, if that is enabled then you should be able to hold Alt and tap the F10 key to get into a recovery menu. Let's try it one more time. Bear in mind that you need to start tapping F10 as soon as the Acer logo comes up.

ChrisC :

Okay, you seem to have been disconnected so I'm going to switch the question into Q&A format. We can continue to communicate in that format.

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

hello

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

chris are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

?

JACUSTOMER-c0g9rwmq- :

hello

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I have switched the question into Q&A format where can continue to communicate.

If the Alt+F10 method of recovering your hard drive does not work, then I'm afraid that what you're probably going to have to do is get your data off the hard drive and perform a clean installation via an original Windows disc (you would need a standard Win 7 disc, not an upgrade disc). However, the Alt+F10 method should work.

If you have any other questions on this, let me know. If not, please remember to click ACCEPT for me.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it seems like you're still in the chat after I have already closed it out and switched the question format. Please exit the chat and return to the question when you get this so we can continue to troubleshoot your issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i got into acer recovery management, went to option2 save file and restore, it is now trying to restore now,at 65% restoring system
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Okay, great. Glad to hear you were able to access the recovery menu.

Were you able to get past the 65% mark previously? Or did it lock up before you got there?

Let me know how it goes. And if you have found our session helpful in resolving your issue, please do remember to click ACCEPT for me.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Hi, just checking back in with you on this.

Were you ever to complete the recovery process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no wentright back to the setup is starting screen

Expert:  ChrisC replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, okay.

Well I'm afraid that performing the recovery process using either the system partition or the recovery discs is the only way to do a regular recovery on the machine. And there's no way to manipulate or troubleshoot the software in anyway--it either works or it doesn't.

If you're not concerned about your data, then what you can do is choose one of the other options in the recovery menu, such as the one to do a clean recovery installation that will completely wipe the hard drive.

If you have data that you can't afford to lose, then what you'll need to do is save your data off the hard drive by putting the hard drive into an enclosure and connecting it to a different machine, and then reinstall a clean copy of Windows via an original disc with the full version.

I understand that this may go beyond your technical abilities or access to hardware/software, in which case you'll need to take it to a qualified local technician who has the proper tools.

I really do wish I had a better answer for you, but at this point these are the steps you'll have to take.