Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.
23822421

I need a security key for my wireless connection direct tv

Customer Question

I need a security key for my wireless connection direct tv tech set it up and didn't give it to me
Category: Networking
Expert:  ITCris replied 3 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello, Thank you for contacting JA, I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

Customer: Don't know what you want from me now I need help
ITTechQ&A :

Hi what is the make of your router?

Customer: Don't know what you want from me now I need help
ITTechQ&A :

Is your router Linksys, netgear, dlink?

Customer: I don't know what I am doing
ITTechQ&A :

OK I will assist you. Please look at the router and tell me the make of the router.

Customer: I don't know what I am doing
ITTechQ&A :

I cannot assist you if you can't give me certain information so I can further assist you.

ITTechQ&A :

Locate the router and look for the name.

Customer: I don't know what I am doing
Customer:

linksys by cisco model wrt54g2

Customer: I haven't received any repines for my 44 dollars
Customer: I haven't received any reponse for my 44 dollars
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer, Ranked #1 Networking Expert in JustAnswer. I will be very happy & will do my best to help you.

Do you have a wireless computer that can actually connect to your wireless internet? If you do, what Windows or Mac version does it have? Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dell windows 7 laptop

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see a response from you do you need more information to help me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not understand why no one is responding I have paid $44 for some kind of help and I am seeing nothing if you cannot help me please say so and refund my money?
I apologize for the long delay. I will give you the answer in 2 minutes.
Please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7 connected to internet via wireless and you will see the network key:

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- NOW, make sure you select "View by: LARGE ICONS" on the upper right corner.

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Manage Wireless Networks" on the left

6- Double click your wireless network name

7- Click the "Security" tab

8- Click "Show characters"

9- Now find your password XXXXX to "Network security key". This is your security key (also called wireless password, wireless key, wep, wpa, etc)

10- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

11- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid, that's the only way for me to be compensated for my time (Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us I need you to click Accept for me to be paid from JustAnswer. And even if you have a regular account and see the holding charge in your credit / debit / or PayPal account, I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it didn't work.. i don't have my wireless network on the laptop

OK, that's why I asked if you have a wireless computer able to connect to your wireless network? Do you have one? Also, what's your router brand and model? Please click "Reply to expert" to let me know. Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we have a laptop trying to connect to the wireless etwork. model number is XXXXX Wireless G Broadband by linksys
OK. Do you have any other computer connected to internet via wireless ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
OK, please try the word password in lowercase. If it doesn't work, please follow the steps below to reset the router. Please note the wireless network name will be changed to "linksys" or "Cisco" and no password XXXXX be asked (we can setup a password XXXXX all is working OK)

1- Make sure the wireless router is turned ON.

2- Press and hold down the "reset" button on the back of your router for 30 seconds. The reset button is inside a very tiny hole on the back of the router. Please use a paper clip to push it for 30 seconds

3- Then release the button and wait 60 seconds. (yes, 60 seconds please)

4- Then unplug the router from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and replug it to the electricity outlet

5- Make sure the internet modem is connected to the "WAN" or the "Internet" port on the back of the router

6- Unplug the internet modem from the electricity outlet, wait 10 seconds and then replug it to the electricity outlet.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Then connect to the network "Cisco" or "Linksys"

9- If prompted for a password, use the word password in lowercase.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer. Cisco, Microsoft and A+ certified.