D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience:  5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)

My Netgear wifi network has disappeared from network list!

My Netgear wifi network has disappeared from network list! I have reinstalled twice (successfully, the screen says) but I can't get it to authenticate. There is a little icon on my desktop that I have to click and then I am asked for a name and password XXXXX it denies me authentication. This house is a vacation rental and I have guests coming who will expect the wifi to work! I really need HELP!!
Category: Networking
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a member of the expert community here..

SOunds like the router is faulted.. Lets get it up and running again

Turn router around;

Find the small pinhole usually located by the power cord;

Stick something like a paperclip in it and press down firmly for 1 minute;

wait until you see the lights blink and then go out;

Then; unplug the power cord from router for about half a minute;

Then, plug it back in.

This is the only way it will finalize reseting and it takes away your encryption;

resets your network name back to Netgear.

Can you see the netgear wireless network now? ( if so, it wont require a password, and will work) We can set a password XXXXX after we get to this point.

Lets just do the above reset and verify we can see the netgear again!

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

On the top right, click login. use the same email address you used to ask this question.

Once logged in.

On the top right,, click on my questions. And you will see our question listed there.

Simply click our question, and send me a response!

Or, you can find any of my replies in your email, click on it and it will bring you back to Justanswer.com, and this specific question we are working on together!
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience: 5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I stuck a paperclip in to the pinhole which is at the top of the back right under the aerial. The lights blinked but didn't go off. A blue light came on and now the Netgear name is XXXXX XXXXX the network list on my iPHone. I haven't unplugged it as the lights (including the new blue light) are on. One of the green lights seems to be blinking in a tremelo.

Should I run the software again at this point?

Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
No. lets not run the software again

Unplug the netgear from power , then plug it back into power.

Now..

Take any device, any computer, and connect to the plain netgear network.

Is it allowing internet traficc now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it is Netgear is no longer visible as a network on Wi Fi
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

I thought the ipad could see it?

Can the ipad no longer see the netgear network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It disappeared from the network list on my iPhone but now it is back again. And so is the blue light
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
Excellent.

See if the iphone can connect .. ( it wont require a password )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it connected right away!
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
excellent.

Lets get the computers seeing it now.

What type of computers do you have. mac, pc ?

Restart one of them.. will it pull up the netgear network, and connect too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm working on the Dell pc desktop that I have in my rental. I'm going to restart it and then get back to you. I will be able to find you again, right?
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
SUre will!!

Just reply to any of the emails i have sent you by clicking the email.

And then clicking on reply inside the actual email ( which wil bring you back to just answer and this question)

or

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

Once logged in.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
Not trying to spam message you. But I have to send the last reply each time.

Will be here when you return!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dustin,
I did click the ACCEPT button before this second time and I added an $8 tip a d also received a thank-you--I guess it was generic! I surely do want you to get paid for your patient hard work! Hope This works out !
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

We solved the issue with netgear.. And closed that question out.

Now. we stil have an issue with your computer specifically

I wil leave this question open here, so that when your ready. We can work through fixing your Pc specifically.

Get back to me when you have time!

Best Regards,

D.Sandlin